closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Looking for a workout routine

Hybrid View

There are lots of different opinions here as to what form of exercise you should do, but as someone who lost a significant amount of weight a few years ago (124kg -> 85kg) there are two things that really worked for me:

1) Booking an exercise class rather than simply going to a gym to workout alone created an appointment that I felt I should not miss. For me that made it more likely I would go than make an excuse not to. When I started it was an appointment with a personal trainer, and as I got fitter I joined a CrossFit gym and booked into sessions that started at a certain time. In both cases, the fact that I had a booking at a certain time carried me through on days when I really wanted to miss it. Training with someone else might provide the same encouragement - arranging to meet up with someone else to train at a certain time & place would mean even if I didn't want to, I would go because I wouldn't want to let them down.
    2) However much you think exercise is the key to weight loss, it really isn't. It helps, but your diet is the most important factor. Start counting calories of everything you eat / drink. It's a pain to have to weigh everything and work it out, but there are apps that help, and without this knowledge it is so much harder. Counting calories will educate as well as inform, and you'll be surprised how soon you start wanting to make better decisions on what you eat.

As for what exercise, it doesn't really matter what form of exercise it is as long as it's something you enjoy. It won't matter how motivated you think you are, unless it's something you enjoy you'll struggle to develop it into a routine you can take forward longterm.

As others have said, consistency, routine and diet are everything.

I am 35, I work 5 days a week (in the office!). I barely squeeze in 3 gym sessions per week, usually less an hour.

I’ve tried many options and have settled on the Greyskull routine, Brontoswolus variant: here: https://i.imgur.com/EtDI4aP.png

It’s mostly compound movements, I superset to reduce overall time. E.G I will perform 1 set of Bench Press then immediately do 1 set of Rows. Rest for 90 seconds, bench then immediately rows etc.

As time has gone and my knowledge has increased, I’ve added some things to the options in the above image

I do yoga on the weekend, ideally 30-60m. Yoga is an absolute godsend!

Resources:
    • Stronglifts app has been recommended and is good, I prefer an app called Pegasus, very similar but has more variety & control.
    • MyFitnessPal App is your friend! Losing weight is simply Calorie In vs Calorie Out. If you consume fewer calories than you use, you will lose wait. It’s that simple.
    • DownDog Yoga App, it's by far my favourite way to do Yoga, endlessly customisable - good for focusing on leg flexibility or hip or chest or back, whatever. I recommend Hatha Yoga.

MyFitnessPal helps you log how many calories you’re eating. Don’t obsess over being perfect to the single calorie, as long as you’re in a good calorie deficit over a long enough period of time, you will lose weight.

To add to that: Eating -1000 calories a day will lose you weight but is also very difficult, better to eat at a 200 cal deficit in my experience. It will take longer but will have less of an impact on your mood.

As has been mentioned, fasting is unbelievably good for managing calorie intake. I do intermittent fasting and it’s far, far easier than you think. I used to be convinced I couldn’t function without breakfast… now I don’t eat anything until lunchtime and I have more energy than ever.