closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a watch for the gym (cheap, quartz, cool)

Recommend me a watch for the gym (cheap, quartz, cool)

What it says: recommend me a watch for the gym

Criteria: mist be cheap, quartz, cool-looking, good WR, and 20mm lugs.

I've missed out on a couple of the reissued Newmark 6BB that have come up on SC and -- oh, but don't judge me! -- I'm even considering a Meca Quartz powered Speedmaster homage (Corgeut or Pagani). I know, I know! In my defence I do own a real Speedy; in fact it might be nice to glance down at my wrist and see a familiar face.

So: a cheap beater; something I can swim with or leave in a locker without too much anxiety. But not something horrible: cheap but not cheap looking.

Thanks

Casioak? Hillier jewellers.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheap Apple Watch or a garmin

Grand Master
    Casio F91, cheap as chips, does the job. WR isn’t brilliant because its plastic and the case will flex at depth, but absolutely fine for swimming. In years gone by I used to swim 3 times/week in mine, never had a problem.

Watches can easily get knocked and battered in a gym, the Casio is so cheap you don’t have to worry about it.

Does it look ‘cool’?.........does it really matter! You’re in the gym to work, doesn’t matter what you look like it’s what you do in there that counts. That’s the way it is in my local gym.

How cheap is cheap?

A marathon navigator fits all your other criteria. You can pick one up new for £370 or just over £200 used, on eBay.

I wouldn’t call it cheap but it’s inexpensive compared to some of what goes through the forum

Craftsman
    2nd hand Apple watch last gen model. (if you own an iphone)

How 'cheap'?

Craftsman
    I use a Timex Ironman or a G shock

Huge range on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page...e&ref_=ast_bln

19mm lug width, not 20.

Is £325 cheap?

Cool though. And 200m WR.

CWC GS Sapphire

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Water resistant to 30m (100ft) & $63 on Amazon

z

Casio DW-5600. Does everything well, rock solid - just take it off and drop it on the tiled floor of the gym changing rooms all day, and so water resistant it can manage the sauna and the icy plunge pool. And imho, very cool

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That's easy - a second hand Seiko 7C43-6010 from Seiko's Professional range. Until recently they were considered unfashionably small and so the prices are lower than any Seiko Professional dive watch deserves. However, they are the same size as Eddie's Mini Dreadnought and perfect for slapping on a NATO and forgetting about until you need the time, date or to dive to 200M while wrestling a shark. Despite being a manly dive watch they also feature day and date complications to smooth over any senior moments...

They are powered by an all metal seven jewelled high torque movement that is every inch the equal of the top of the line ETA movements. In addition, they benefit from a screw down crystal retaining ring which is more secure, cooler and makes changing the crystal a breeze. They also feature Seiko's proprietary L shaped crystal gasket developed for teh 600M models. They also have an anti-magnetic case of the sort only Eddie bothers with these days. The quality of everything is as good as any top end Seiko and that means uncomfortably good when compared to certain other Swiss brands. In addition, the dial and hands, while being precisely as well lumed as you would expect of Seiko also have beautifully finished dials of the sort you might want to take arty pictures of:

It's a perfect example of Seiko's understated brilliance and a couple of hundred quid to you squire...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=7C43-6010+&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=15

Just imagine all the Seiko V Rolex threads you'll have ante for!

Personal favourite that's a bit of a bargain for the quality on offer - MWC 300m diver with Tritium tubes (a-la Ball), Sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel, &c., £257:

Grand Master
    G -Shock Rangeman.....The End.

How about this?

Well! Lots to be going on with there.

Thanks all, I'll have a browse through your suggestions

Master
    Moonswatch! But won’t be as tough as a g shock

GW-5000-U the do it all "posh" G-Shock with solar, atomic, chrono, stopwatch, world time, UK date format, 200 WR and lovely soft strap.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

The answer is so obviously G-Shock that I don’t even understand the other suggestions.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The answer is so obviously G-Shock that I don’t even understand the other suggestions.
    You know, I have the most madly eclectic tastes and have, at one time or another, had the hots for pretty well everything. I do own a ‘high end’ G shock somewhere, bought out of curiosity, but they leave me stone cold. So the answer may well be Casio, but I’d favour the F91.

- - - Updated - - -

You know, I have the most madly eclectic tastes and have, at one time or another, had the hots for pretty well everything. I do own a ‘high end’ G shock somewhere, bought out of curiosity, but they leave me stone cold. So the answer may well be Casio, but I’d favour the F91.

The high end G shocks leave me stone cold too. Which is why I suggested the cheap as chips but does everything thing you need vanilla 5600. It’s also comfy on the wrist whilst working out, no metal to clank off the machines in the gym either. And no need to keep it safe in a locker. The 5000U is a great watch but too nice for proper abuse. More raspberry ripple than vanilla. All imho of course!

You know, I have the most madly eclectic tastes and have, at one time or another, had the hots for pretty well everything. I do own a ‘high end’ G shock somewhere, bought out of curiosity, but they leave me stone cold. So the answer may well be Casio, but I’d favour the F91.[/QUOTE]
    I didn’t mention “high-end”, nor would I suggest one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I meant in general. I wrote it badly. I wasn’t objecting to G shock, posh or not, specifically, just to the idea they were the only option.

If not one of my Casios, I choose my Seestern Doxa homage - compact, robust, splash of colour, and very comfortable.

https://seesternwatches.com/shop

Obviously not or the question wouldn't have been asked.

Can't see myself wearing a G-Shock tbh. I like analogue display and also have a lot of 20mm straps so traditional lugs are also preferred.

Thanks though.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Can't see myself wearing a G-Shock tbh. I like analogue display and also have a lot of 20mm straps so traditional lugs are also preferred.

Thanks though.
    Have you just searched "Analogue Gym watches" to see what it throws out,maybe much more choices than youll get on here.....perhaps.

Citizen Promaster Ecodrive. Cool, bombproof, waterproof. All you'll ever want or need. It says you're serious

Master
    Timex Expedition, this version is cheap as chips, other colours available in the range
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Timex-Exped...n&isTryState=0

How about something like this. You can have it like this.

Or like this with a longer battery life.

Or blank with wrist turn to turn screen on.

It has a huge number off apps available, will load 1000 songs for you to play whilst off line and at a good volume and has a large number of fitness regimes and measurements for your workouts.

You can even fit an e-sim to use as a stand alone phone if you can't do without being off line.

Mitch

You really should just get a G10 (assuming that you haven't already got one) but I've sent you a PM anyway.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I have to say I am very impressed with my Nite watch (which is a slightly customised Alpha).
    The Alpha range is 22mm lugs, and their smaller one (forget the name) has an integrated strap, but the quality is great and the T100 tubes are very good.
    They have sales on certain models almost all the time.
    And I might add that it is also hard to look past Scurfa, although I gather their stock is currently very low on the dive models.
    Both are British companies, which also helps

Focus on training. I'm sure there's a clock in the gym .

Master
    For myself it was a Citizen bm8470, bought a cheap ‘oyster’ style steel bracelet (which is surprisingly decent) & I’ve never looked back.

Master
    Precista PRS 18Q or the COSC version. Robust, reliable, 20mm, water resistant, relatively inexpensive.

Master
    https://www.sforcewatches.com/

If the gyms closed you can just use the watch for your workout! 😂

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    It's not quartz, but I use my Garmin Forerunner 55 in the gym and running - currently available for £179 but deals are available where you can get it for £150.

As well as telling the time, it can gps track your runs and log workouts and sync with your phone. Only seems to need charging for a couple of hours a week.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    +1.......I forgot my Casio f91 yesterday at the gym and I can’t say I missed it, the gym has a clock!

I bought one of these to do a bit of traveling with a few years back, was absolutely rock solid - hard as nails, waterproof, legible, accurate, and at £25 (they were only £14 back then) it was throwaway cheap if it got smashed up or lost along the way. Assumed I’d just put it in a drawer after the traveling but it became my gym watch for a good while after til the battery eventually went, by which time I’d got a g shock. I wouldn’t bother with anything of any value for the gym myself, one of these is ideal IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Depending on budget a Scurfa Diver One. Got one as my holiday/beater and it does not disappoint. Some nice colour choices too.

Journeyman
    Any G-Shock will do but the GW-5000U-1ER is my gym watch, great looking plus a screw in case back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have good reason to believe that your requirements have been met the form of a Newmark 6BB.

However, if Hillary climbed Everest today he would carry a G-Shock.
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 15th April 2023 at 12:03.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I have good reason to believe that your requirements have been met the form of a Newmark 6BB.

However, if Hilary climbed Everest today he would carry a G-Shock.
    Carry indeed!

Craftsman
    The F91 is the only watch I wear in the gym. It's so small that it doesn't constantly bash against equipment.

I always bypassed the F91 and went straight for the W59.

I think it’s because as a young teenager I bought one as a first ‘proper’ swim proof watch as it had the 50m rating.

Casio World Time. All-rounder.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Currently at Centre Parcs and using my ‘activity watch ‘ - the Seiko solar orange dialled watch. Don’t care if it gets scuffed - actually it is ‘when’ not ‘if’.

It has 20mm drilled lugs