closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 68 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,400 of 4462

Thread: Premier League 2022 - 23

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Funnily enough I said this yesterday. You could pick a ‘second’ eleven that would be an incredible team.
    You really can’t .
    The drop off on Saturday when the four substitutions were made was apparent. Pep knows this and will have to continue picking his best 11 to win the games early and then take the bigger names off . The FA Cup semi is the only match where City won’t start their strongest team .

If City win the league they'll do so by not many points. One can argue that with Haaland in the side this is City's greatest ever side (although they weren't firing on all cylinders earlier in the season). For sure if a young again Silva and Kompany was in the squad there wouldnt be any discussion. Regardless, this is a top class outfit that Arsenal are competing against and Arsenal have achieved their primary objective of CL football already.

Arsenal are not playing at the same level as City are now, but they were earlier in the season. Team performances go up and down and if a 'blip' is taking a point at Anfield (where City lost earlier this season) then I'll take that all day long.

The draw at West Ham wasn't great but West Ham are fighting for their lives, have lost only 1 of their last 8 games and these things happen. It is hard to predict the results - that's what's great about the Premier League. Both Arsenal and City have the title in their control and the draw at West Ham doesn't change much - Arsenal still need to avoid defeat at the Etihad regardless. And those people who think City will steamroller everyone - well they have to go to Brighton, Brentford etc. Not easy. And yes they beat Bayern but could have been behind several times and if Leicester had their shooting boots on they could have salvaged an unlikely draw on Saturday. City's title to lose. Arsenal's title also to lose. Let's see.

Master
    I remember the ‘89 title race - Arsenal cruising with two on paper easy home games left - but lost to Derby and drew with Wimbledon in the space of 5 days- it meant we had to go to Liverpool and win by 2 clear goals - I remember the queue for Liverpool away tickets after the Wimbledon game and I said to my mate are we going to Anfield then? We both agreed it needed a miracle and we didn’t go…
    So, moral is, never give up hope Gooners !

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    City’s 2nd team would have a good chance of winning the league, so playing Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday until the end of the season wouldn’t affect them much.
    That’s a fallacy perpetuated by a lazy media and other clubs. Apparently we have a huge squad with world class players in every position. Our success isn’t down to great recruitment and coaching. We just buy success.

How many of our players, that hadn’t played in the premier league previously, did people really know about? I am sure that everyone had heard of Akanji, Dias, Laporte, Gomez, Perrone, Alvarez, and those other superstar kids that pad out our squad that are household names - Lewis, Wilson-Esbrand, Palmer. They just trip off the tongue and are instantly recognisable. We currently have a squad of 25 that includes three keepers, one of whom is almost 40 and three kids that have come through the academy. Not counting of course Phil F who many forget has been playing in the first team since he was 17.

If anyone really wants a laugh dig out the clip of Thompson and Merson on sky sports speaking about Kev De Bruyne when we bought him. That flop that failed at Chelsea. Nobody would touch Gundogan when we bought him because of his appalling injuries. Nathan Aka was a wasted of space when we bought him apparently. Possibly our best player this season but criminally overlooked. Jack Grealish a flop. John stones overrated. Kelvin Phillips a waste of space. Rodri who? We’re the cries when we bought him. Now probably the best pivot / holding midfielder in Europe. At some point the club may get some credit for good recruitment. Pep may get a bit of credit for being a half decent coach. Largest squad, not by a million miles…. World class players in every position, judge for yourselves…… highest wage bill, er…. Not even close.

The issue for me which they will need to overcome is to be utterly ruthless.

The recent city and Liverpool teams have been unrelenting in seeking out goals etc.

They wouldn’t of eased off after 20mins and being 2-0 up

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    That’s a fallacy perpetuated by a lazy media and other clubs. Apparently we have a huge squad with world class players in every position. Our success isn’t down to great recruitment and coaching. We just buy success.

How many of our players, that hadn’t played in the premier league previously, did people really know about? I am sure that everyone had heard of Akanji, Dias, Laporte, Gomez, Perrone, Alvarez, and those other superstar kids that pad out our squad that are household names - Lewis, Wilson-Esbrand, Palmer. They just trip off the tongue and are instantly recognisable. We currently have a squad of 25 that includes three keepers, one of whom is almost 40 and three kids that have come through the academy. Not counting of course Phil F who many forget has been playing in the first team since he was 17.

If anyone really wants a laugh dig out the clip of Thompson and Merson on sky sports speaking about Kev De Bruyne when we bought him. That flop that failed at Chelsea. Nobody would touch Gundogan when we bought him because of his appalling injuries. Nathan Aka was a wasted of space when we bought him apparently. Possibly our best player this season but criminally overlooked. Jack Grealish a flop. John stones overrated. Kelvin Phillips a waste of space. Rodri who? We’re the cries when we bought him. Now probably the best pivot / holding midfielder in Europe. At some point the club may get some credit for good recruitment. Pep may get a bit of credit for being a half decent coach. Largest squad, not by a million miles…. World class players in every position, judge for yourselves…… highest wage bill, er…. Not even close.
    No doubt Pep is the best coach in the world, and the transfers have been pretty good as well, chelsea have a bigger squad of first team players but id put city as having the next strongest bench strength. The reason you are accused of buying success is because you have, the managers havent come cheap, nor have the players, and thats reflected here:

https://www.si.com/fannation/soccer/...rs-in-10-years

What city have done however is been smarter about it than some of the other teams that have spent nearly as much and they deserve credit for that.

Everton... 8th highest net spend in Europe and on the brink of relegation. I fear for them if they do go down.

Master
    Are hand ball decisions made with the toss of a coin?! Maguire yesterday and TAA tonight. I thought the rule had been simplified to remove subjectivity. Apparently not!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Are hand ball decisions made with the toss of a coin?! Maguire yesterday and TAA tonight. I thought the rule had been simplified to remove subjectivity. Apparently not!
    I have to say I thought that would be disallowed

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    I have to say I thought that would be disallowed
    Me too. I’m completely mystified as to how that clumsy oaf Maguire got away with it yesterday, too.

Master
    It’s handball to me too and I’m a red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Hand ball all day long.
    I think I heard in commentary they said it’s too far back in time before the goal was scored.
    How can it be? I have no idea!

Master
    Blog Entries
    If VAR was a car if would have been back to the dealers for a full refund long ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Hand ball all day long.
    I think I heard in commentary they said it’s too far back in time before the goal was scored.
    How can it be? I have no idea!
    Heard that but what does that even mean? It was a key part of the build up to the goal!

Because it’s Nited and Bin Dippers innit.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post

I see Man City have been given approval for an extra 7000 seats and a hotel at the Emptyhad, I'm sure the local schools and societies will be delighted at the prospect of receiving even more free tickets in an attempt to fill the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    I see Man City have been given approval for an extra 7000 seats and a hotel at the Emptyhad, I'm sure the local schools and societies will be delighted at the prospect of receiving even more free tickets in an attempt to fill the stadium.
    Oh , how we guffawed at the originality .
    Maybe we could fill the empty seats with trophies .

It was a definite handball in the Leeds Liverpool game. It would be a disgrace if it wasn’t against Leeds, but as it was, it’s hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Well one things for certain, the European Cup won't have the opportunity to sit in the numerous empty seats.

🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Me too. I’m completely mystified as to how that clumsy oaf Maguire got away with it yesterday, too.
    I'm always amazed how he steals a wage even sitting on the bench. Total liability of a player that United need to get shot off (for any bid whatsover!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    I'm always amazed how he steals a wage even sitting on the bench. Total liability of a player that United need to get shot off (for any bid whatsover!)
    Check out his "reels" on YouTube. Hysterical.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Check out his "reels" on YouTube. Hysterical.
    Indeed, a total plank!

My own favourite;

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/RlFXWcfbH48

£220k a week apparently.

Whilst we all laugh at McGuire, he will do well in a team that defends deep.

He was good for united when we were a counter attacking team, he only became poor when he was asked to defend the halfway line

That's why he is still good for England

When he is sold in the summer, betcha Newcastle and Tottenham are in the bidding for him

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

To be honest I said we should consider this a few months ago and was laughed at by my F&F. He didn’t become a bad player overnight. You’re absolutely right in what you say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    Whilst we all laugh at McGuire, he will do well in a team that defends deep.

He was good for united when we were a counter attacking team, he only became poor when he was asked to defend the halfway line

That's why he is still good for England

When he is sold in the summer, betcha Newcastle and Tottenham are in the bidding for him

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    Maguire is a scapegoat

It’s not his fault the club paid £80m
    And gave him the armband - he’s always turned out for Utd and faced the media which I admire

Yes he’s not a patch on Martinez or varane but is that his fault???

Agree with the other comments he walks into most teams in the top half if not top 4

And those who say stealing a wage ?
    - Phil Jones aka the new Duncan Edwards

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Agree with the other comments he walks into most teams in the top half if not top 4
    That’s nonsense. No way he’d get in Arsenal, Man City or Newcastle back 4.

He’s slow to turn, lacks pace when he does & his situational awareness is way below what you’d expect of a premier league centre back.

Granted, he’s playing in a (high line) system that he’s not equipped to deal with. Maybe that’s why he flourished at Leicester where they had little possession, sat in & hit on the counter.

But many teams play a high line now. If he cannot adapt he should move to a team that defends deep?

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

He’s slow to turn, lacks pace when he does & his situational awareness is way below what you’d expect of a premier league centre back.

Granted, he’s playing in a (high line) system that he’s not equipped to deal with. Maybe that’s why he flourished at Leicester where they had little possession, sat in & hit on the counter.

But many teams play a high line now. If he cannot adapt he should move to a team that defends deep?

z
    Rob said top half, excluding top 4 so....

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

To be fair Maguire would get in the Chelsea team. As a number 9.....

Blog Entries

Premier League 2022 - 23

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Rob said top half, excluding top 4 so....
    I’’d put that in my top 10, if not top 3 misinterpretations…
    So…

z

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    To be fair Maguire would get in the Chelsea team. As a number 9.....

Bingo!

And just about the only club daft enough to sign him…….

Bingo!

And just about the only club daft enough to sign him…….
    Maguire is identified as being a LCB. Interestingly EtH is absolutely adamant that he is not and he will only play HM as a RCB and prefer Shaw at LCB.

I reckon Maguire will end up at somewhere like Villa or Newcastle or even Italy and maybe undergo a Smallingesque renaissance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someone needs to give Steve Bruce a job quickly .
    He would take all Uniteds cast offs before you could say dodgy brown envelopes

Brucie isn't savvy enough for the brown envelope approach, he'd take the players but would overpay massively for them! When he was at Hull they were in relegation trouble and had all but one CB out injured. He asked Fergie if he could borrow a CB for the rest of the season but as they were skint he didn't want to pay their wages. Fergie wasn't having that. He did lend him a CB (can't remember who it was - David May maybe?) but Hull had to pay his wages.

First game in, CB did him hamstring and was out for the season. Brucie asked Fergie if he would take him back as they could barely afford to pay his wages anyway never mind when he's not even playing. Fergie's response? Foxtrot Oscar.

Someone needs to give Steve Bruce a job quickly .
    He would take all Uniteds cast offs before you could say dodgy brown envelopes

Master
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65308511

Manchester City have submitted a planning application for a £300m expansion of Etihad Stadium.

The club want to increase the current capacity of 53,400 to 60,000 by expanding the North Stand.

Proposals include a sky bar overlooking the pitch and a stadium roof walk experience.

A 3,000-capacity fan zone, new club shop and museum, and 400-bed hotel have also been proposed in the application to Manchester City Council.

Fantastic. At Newcastle I believe we have owners with this kind of vision and intent, our achilleas heel will be where our stadium is currently. Of course, we'd be able to create a small NUFC City akin to the Etihad campus if we moved to an out of town location.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65308511

Manchester City have submitted a planning application for a £300m expansion of Etihad Stadium.

The club want to increase the current capacity of 53,400 to 60,000 by expanding the North Stand.

Proposals include a sky bar overlooking the pitch and a stadium roof walk experience.

A 3,000-capacity fan zone, new club shop and museum, and 400-bed hotel have also been proposed in the application to Manchester City Council.

z
    There's no way he's getting into the Villa team ahead of Mings or Konsa, either. Mings has been reborn under Emery.

[/QUOTE]I reckon Maguire will end up at somewhere like Villa[/QUOTE]

Ahahahahahahahahaha!

Mings finally has some decent players around him allowing him to do his thing and a manager who knows what he's doing. Maybe Maguire could come in as back-up but I doubt he's what Emory will be looking for.
    "A man of little significance"

Fantastic. At Newcastle I believe we have owners with this kind of vision and intent, our achilleas heel will be where our stadium is currently. Of course, we'd be able to create a small NUFC City akin to the Etihad campus if we moved to an out of town location.
    I hope Newcastle never move, it's the best away trip in the Premier League. It's great that the ground is right in the city centre, much better than some soulless bowl next to an out of town retail park or industrial estate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    I hope Newcastle never move, it's the best away trip in the Premier League. It's great that the ground is right in the city centre, much better than some soulless bowl next to an out of town retail park or industrial estate.
    Mostly agree with you. Apart from the endless flights of stairs to top of the stadium

I love the stadium and its unique position in the city centre. I don't want us to leave but would accept if we had to for progression reasons. We've had outline planning permission granted to extend the Gallowgate end for around another 6000 seats (taking it to almost 59000) but it would be ridiculously difficult and expensive to achieve. There's a public street and road outside, an office complex across the road and a metro line underneath so quite a design and build challenge. The East Stand (the lowest one) can't be taken any higher as the street behind is listed. We tried that in the 90s and failed.

The Milburn and SJH stands are already very high so I doubt that could be a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Mostly agree with you. Apart from the endless flights of stairs to top of the stadium

Just queue for the lifts. Much easier.

Brucie isn't savvy enough for the brown envelope approach, he'd take the players but would overpay massively for them! When he was at Hull they were in relegation trouble and had all but one CB out injured. He asked Fergie if he could borrow a CB for the rest of the season but as they were skint he didn't want to pay their wages. Fergie wasn't having that. He did lend him a CB (can't remember who it was - David May maybe?) but Hull had to pay his wages.

First game in, CB did him hamstring and was out for the season. Brucie asked Fergie if he would take him back as they could barely afford to pay his wages anyway never mind when he's not even playing. Fergie's response? Foxtrot Oscar.
    Typical of Ferguson that.
    Reminds me of the time he had his horses in a stud owned by Trevor Hemings, the Preston North End chairman , who also employed his son Darren as manager . When Ferguson jr was given the heave ho after a run of terrible results Daddy responded by pulling his three loan players back from Preston and also told his old mate Tony Pulis to do the same with his loanees .
    Hemmings ( who used to be very friendly with Ferguson ) reacted by telling him to come and collect his horses too . A couple of horse boxes were dispatched to the stud a couple of days later only to find the two horses tied up to a lamppost outside the grounds .
    He met his match that day .

Master
    Dominos reaction to the Etihad news :-)

https://twitter.com/dominos_uk/status/1648237893062672387?s=46&t=xPC3Np8KwiSS-yUkCKpIBQ

Typical of Ferguson that.
    Reminds me of the time he had his horses in a stud owned by Trevor Hemings, the Preston North End chairman , who also employed his son Darren as manager . When Ferguson jr was given the heave ho after a run of terrible results Daddy responded by pulling his three loan players back from Preston and also told his old mate Tony Pulis to do the same with his loanees .
    Hemmings ( who used to be very friendly with Ferguson ) reacted by telling him to come and collect his horses too . A couple of horse boxes were dispatched to the stud a couple of days later only to find the two horses tied up to a lamppost outside the grounds .
    He met his match that day .
    As he did with Magnier and MacManus over Rock of Gibraltar. No doubting his credentials and reputation as a manger but he just comes across as a good old fashioned bully.

Master

z
    I meant he doesnt get in the top 4 teams but most the others in the top half I imagine would be interested - he is certainly suited to a counter attacking team hence why I think he does well for England and was decent at Leicester etc

by no means am I a fan Im just pointing out he is an easy target when there are far worse nicking a living at the club
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 20th April 2023 at 16:48.

Master
    Interesting to see what the "experts" thought at the start of the season!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62354857

Premier League 2022 - 23

Guess it’s not just De Gea then haha.

What a finish.

Rob Holding vs Haaland next week. Its going to be a massacre