closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cashback or reward accounts, what's the best value?

Cashback or reward accounts, what's the best value?

I'm starting a new job soon that will see me work away from home for a couple of nights a week, funded at my own expense. It feels like there are ways of getting something back from this, be it cash back, some sort of reward points for use elsewhere, or something along those lines. The key purchases are fairly predictable - hotel, food, fuel. How do I make this as profitable / rewarding as possible? I'm happy to consider a credit card (dedicated to this and paid off in full each month) or a new bank account, whatever offers the best value.

It's worth noting that I'm going to work for a hotel brand, so I'll be staying with that same brand the majority of the time, and it probably rules out things like Quidco as the booking will be made via an employee portal. That's really why I've focused on general banking.

Does anybody do something similar, and if so, what are the best options at the moment? Or has this sort of thing dried up in the current climate?

I use an Amex cashback credit card: 1% cashback then 1.25% above £10k (spend in the year). Also offers 5% for first 3 months (up to £125 cashback). Not everywhere takes Amex (you can use PayPal to get round that where possible).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Where will you be travelling? UK only or abroad too?

Amex are usually the best cashback, but obviously not everywhere accepts it and some cards have fees.

Santander and NatWest/RBS have reward type current accounts.
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 18th April 2023 at 15:31.

It will be 99% UK based. I have an Amex account so I’ll have to see if I can change the card type to be cash back, as I don’t think mine is at the moment.
    I suspect the limitation will be local restaurants but potentially not the end of the world.

Master
    Chase give 1% cashback on their current account spend. I've had an account with them for a year and the offer, for me, is now capped for me at £15pm (ie £1,500 qualifying spend) (and requires a deposit of £500+ pm).

Just have to look out for what counts as "qualifying spend".

https://www.chase.co.uk/gb/en/product/chase-account/

Credit cards:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cr...-card-rewards/
    Last edited by David_D; 18th April 2023 at 17:45.

As above, I put all work expenses through my personal Chase current account to get 1% cashback on expenditure.

Chase also do a round-up account where you get 5% interest on the (small) round up amounts taken.

Previously the company credit card was Amex - I never took one, but colleagues moaned regularly about it not being universally accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    I'm starting a new job soon that will see me work away from home for a couple of nights a week, funded at my own expense. It feels like there are ways of getting something back from this, be it cash back, some sort of reward points for use elsewhere, or something along those lines. The key purchases are fairly predictable - hotel, food, fuel. How do I make this as profitable / rewarding as possible? I'm happy to consider a credit card (dedicated to this and paid off in full each month) or a new bank account, whatever offers the best value.

It's worth noting that I'm going to work for a hotel brand, so I'll be staying with that same brand the majority of the time, and it probably rules out things like Quidco as the booking will be made via an employee portal. That's really why I've focused on general banking.

Does anybody do something similar, and if so, what are the best options at the moment? Or has this sort of thing dried up in the current climate?
    Apologies if it's not a question you want to answer, but what kind of gig see's you liable for your own expenses (assuming it's hotel business)?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Apologies if it's not a question you want to answer, but what kind of gig see's you liable for your own expenses (assuming it's hotel business)?
    One where the career opportunity and the total package, even after considering these expenses, is still a considerable step-up from my current role. But, it’s a hybrid role and the office is the official working location, which makes me liable for the costs. It was something I considered carefully, but all things considered it’s a move worth making.

Huge thanks for the other suggestions, ie Chase. I’ll do some research and understand the type of purchases that may qualify and what limits may exist. Thank you all!

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you have to pay for your own hotel, could you book through hotels.com? You get nights back in hotels- was 1 for every 10 nights so a 10% reward which will beat any cash back and would mean you don’t have to spend the money out to get the cashback.
    if they are not paying for the hotel surely you can stay where you like, unless it’s mystery shopper or similar

Oh for sure I can stay where I like, and I do want to make the most of that and try different places, but at the same time the staff discount is hefty so most of the time it’ll stay within the brand.

It’s why I’m grateful for the suggestions so far, as they keep my options open and let me get a little something back regardless.

Master
    Also if booking hotels look to book via a cashback website such as Quidco.

I used to book all my IHG Rewards Club stays via Quidco. So I’d earn cashback that way, loyalty points for free stays and avios points paying by Amex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk