closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bracelet adjustment by jewellers

Craftsman

Bracelet adjustment by jewellers

This is more of a rant than anything else. I don't know if I'm exceptionally unlucky but everytime I get a jeweller to remove links for my watch they always, without fail, scratch my watch in some way. They are only minor surface scratches but still not nice knowing they did that to your shiny, new watch. I mean surely they are used to adjusting them by now as they must have adjusted hundreds of them for customers.

I purchased a watch recently and thought I'd get them to adjust it as they would probably do a better job than me. Also, because it was for free as I had purchased the watch from them. It took the first guy a good 15 minutes of attempting to remove the links with no success. He kept hammering away at my watch which worried me. So he got his manager to take over instead as he couldn't get the links out. Once the bracelet was adjusted, the manager brought it over to me only for me to see they put some swirlies on my brand new watch. I know this shouldn't matter because if I wear the watch then eventually the bracelet would be scratched but I can't help but be annoyed when someone, other than myself, scratches my brand new watch.

Do you guys let jewellers adjust your watches after purchasing from them? Am I just unlucky?

They are just jewellery salespeople most of the time, go to a watch maker, how has correct tools for the job, and no damage to links or case

I had a battery change done on a pristine watch by a high street jeweller. After the expert had finished the caseback looked liked Stevie wonder had done it using a hammer and chisel!

Seriously, get the tools, watch a few you tube videos and be patient - you’ll do a better job yourself than the average watch shop muppet!

Hand the watch back for a refund if it was the same place where you purchased it. They shouldn't be offering a service they can't deliver.

I've been doing my own for years now after a similar experience. It took two people and an awful lot of hammering to completely ruin a new watch and bracelet. I left it with them, got a refund and they closed down two weeks later.

Tools you need will range from a set of small screwdrivers for screw links, a pin punch, a jeweller's hammer, a bracelet holder, needle nose pliers, plus some kind of magnification tool, either a loupe or an illuminated table top magnifier. The starter kits on eBay are actually OK for most bracelets, but a good set of Bergeon drivers is a must.

I always work on a microfibre cloth to prevent scratching and catch errant pins or screws. It takes some practice but it's not rocket science.

Sorry to hear that. Too late now I know, but I wouldn't be accepting it back unless in the same condition it went in. Have a think about investing in some tools to change/adjust your own bracelets in future - tools can be picked up cheaply and it's not that complicated (lots of information online, including on here) - heck, even I can do it!

P.S. I see now also also added above.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! I very rarely adjust bracelets. I've done a few on some old watches without the watch bracelet adjustment tools. Normally, I just improvise by using the sim card ejector tool or something similar. I've done it on a few watches without any problems.

I would think that if I managed to do that without damaging the watch then the jeweller could do the same with the official tools and many (hopefully) years of experience. Especially since the service was free which is what encouraged me to go for it. However, everytime I see the result of the adjustments I can't help but think that I could have done a better job than them and I've only adjustment around 10 bracelets in my life.

Grand Master
    With the right tools and technique it should never be a struggle to remove link pins or screws. Screws are usually secured with loctite and require a dose of heat to soften it, failure to do risks breaking the screw or damaging the head. A cig lighter will suffice, quick blast of heat then out they come. Press fit pins can be tight but they do come out with persuasion. The folks in the shops should be trained properly and provided with the right tools, but there’s no guarantee that will happen thesedays.

Doing it yourself is fine if you set yourself up with a few basic tools. Good light and a magnifier are essential, plus a small watchmakers hammer to tap pins out. A pair of brass- faced pliers is useful for pulling pins out when the press tool isn’t long enough but care is needed to avoid bending the pins.

There has only been one time I let someone in a shop attempt to adjust a watch bracelet for me. I managed to stop him, by shouting at him, before he started to hammer at screwed links with what looked like a lump hammer. Never again, as already mentioned it's not a difficult job but may need a bit of patience.

Master
    Only once. My brand new 116610 needed sizing (this was before I found this place and it's wealth of knowledgeable folks) and I let the shop assistant do it. No heat and a ham fist resulted in a scratch down the polished link side and a fuming customer. In fairness, they did in the end supply a new link, but not before sending me the wrong one with a brushed link side. Since then I have always done my own and when I bought my Pelagos I politely declined the assistants offer of adjustment.

Master
    Maybe get it sized before purchase?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Maybe get it sized before purchase?
    Depends where you get it, I've found some like to keep a few links for themselves if you ask for that service, especially if it's preowned!

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Best surface to work on if you’re improvising is a tray, it’ll catch screws or tubes that could otherwise go missing. No need to use Bergeon screwdrivers! However, a snug- fitting blade is essential for screws and this is best achieved by using a diamond file or similar to dress a blade to make it thicker but not wider, screwdriver blades needn’t be expensive and should be treated as a disposable item, I pay around £6 for 10. Hollow ground are more expensive but aren’t necessary.