closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Navigator case/movement screws missing

Journeyman

Navigator case/movement screws missing

Hi all.
    So I was able to find a second hand navigator. The movement was rattling a bit so I opened it and found that the screws were missing to hold the movement to the ring in the caseback.
    I had asked Eddie and he thought these screws should be there.
    Here is the picture from the website with arrows indicating the screw placement I speak of. They are not present in this picture but that could mean they were just not put in before the picture was taken.

Does anyone know if indeed these should be here or can you confirm they are also not present in yours? The previous owner has no clue.
    The watch runs fine and winds fine but there is the rattle when shaken and noticeable movement of the “movement” in the case if I use my polystyrene tool to nudge it. More than it should and not secure like in my prs29a.

If indeed others can confirm the screws are not present in their watch, what might be the cause of the slight rattle? Could it be from the anti-magnetic plate moving slightly? The caseback is fastened down as secure as possible so it would not be from any unintended gap if indeed this is meant to fit together sandwich style with no screws to secure the movement to case or ring.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Isildurs_bane; 27th April 2023 at 12:50.

Sorry but I'm not about to open up my Navigator to check, mine runs absolutely perfectly with no rattles, one of Eddie's best, as for yours it's a strange situation, are there any screws floating around in the movement, - something just doesn't add up.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Just checked mine - no screws in those positions, but also definitely no rattle

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    Just checked mine - no screws in those positions, but also definitely no rattle
    Ok so no screws is normal for this one I see. And I saw the green O ring gasket was wrapped around the back plate on mine. This is the correct place for it I gather. So it begs the question what could be causing the slight noticeable rattle when tilted.

No screws in case. I have enough working knowledge and tools to do some small service to these movements but enough wisdom to know what not to get into.

Thanks Number 2 for the reply. I understand.

Journeyman
    Wondering if it’s just a dud then. Figures. Ha.

I have no idea if they should be there or not, but they do look like case / movement clamp screws holes, they sometimes have tabs that slot into a recess in the case when tightened.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    Thanks.
    Can anyone confirm if the o ring fits around the outer diameter of the case back rim with the threads?
    I can’t see how it would fit in any recess in the case but just making sure.

Journeyman

Talking

So I have tightened down the case back as tight as I dare. So that is as it should be. So the movement is followed by the spacer ring followed by the anti-magnetic plate. Then the case back has a green o ring which slides around the outside diameter of the threads which screws down into the case. There is the o-ring as well in the center of the case back which seats up against the anti-magnetic plate.

There are no screws or anything loose, so all appears as it should be with assembly. However, if I have the movement between my fingers and I move in a back and fourth rocking motion North to South and back again, I can tell the parts are moving slightly as in there is a bit of space inside which seems to be causing the "rattling" sound I refer to. Its not a rattling sound like nuts bolts moving around, but more just like if you packed a box with a bit of room for the contents to shift slightly causing you to open back up and stuff one more of something to stop the jostling during shipment.

Does this make sense as I describe it?

Anyway, I'm a bit OCD with it probably. It works and is keeping time beautifully and winds like butter........ so far
    At least I know I won't have to try and source the two screws for the movement to the case like I thought i would have to. It would appear these screws are not present in anyone's watch.
    Last edited by Isildurs_bane; 27th April 2023 at 20:08.

Grand Master
    The clamping action of the caseback secures the movement. Are you sure you're tightening the caseback correctly?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The clamping action of the caseback secures the movement. Are you sure you're tightening the caseback correctly?
    I am pretty sure I am. Its definitely even and not cross threaded. I have experience as a mechanic so know my tolerances by feel for how tight I am willing to go before risking damage on something like this, assuming I could tighten by hand to that extent with this case material. It's fastened to full depth assuming the green sealing 0 ring gasket is in the correct place (only place it fits with the diameter it is, is around the outer diameter of the threaded section on the watch case back.

No visible gaps between case back and watch case once tightened either. (did a paper test and nothing will slide through where case back mates up with the watch case once sealed) Again, its nothing loud but noticeable to me that there is a slight tolerance for movement. The clamping action makes sense now and like I said, everything is working as should be and seemingly nothing appears to be missing.
    Last edited by Isildurs_bane; 27th April 2023 at 20:57.

Journeyman
    Well. Not going to worry anymore about it. I can hear that slight movement when close to my ear. It’s not noticeable when I move my wrist so going to chalk it up to a clearance issue with mine for some odd reason.
    I’m not about to do this but my guess is that if I placed a thin sheet of paper cut out between the case back and the antimagnetic plate the issue would be resolved. That is what I feel is moving. It could the 0 ring had been replaced at some point with perhaps one thicker than needed thus preventing the case back from reaching true depth? Just a guess though.

At least the deployment strap fits my 6.5” wrist fine.

Journeyman
    Sorry for the triple post, but can anyone confirm that I am putting the main gasket (green on my 2020 navigator) in the right location?

So, The only place it naturally fits at the diameter it is, is around the outer diameter of the threads of the caseback. So not in any of the grooves of the actual watch case main body.
    Just want to eliminate that variable.

Thanks. I can show a pic if needed but its the threaded portion of the case back that mates up with the case thereby being the most logical place where its a natural fit for the diameter the 0 ring gasket is.

Thanks in advance for any help on this confirmation.

BTW, the first time I opened the case when the watch arrived and I was investigating the rattle and the gasket had popped off or was displaced so I could not see where it had been for sure.

Edit:
    I am positive the o ring gasket is oriented in the correct location. I did some more experimenting. I noticed the "rattling" sound stopped all together when I hacked the seconds. So, I am now guessing the "rattling" sound had more to do with some way the escapement/palette sound was being amplified near my ear when I rocked it back and fourth. Definitely was not a "tick-tock" though. Sounded 100% to my ears of like a gap inside allowing the movement to "move" slightly.

I may have the ears of Poe's protagonist in the Tell Tale heart. So, issue resolved I feel.

I am sorry for all the trouble. I do appreciate all of your help though.
    Last edited by Isildurs_bane; 29th April 2023 at 03:02.