closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Plastic zip lock bags

Plastic zip lock bags

Trying to find some cheap watch storage for when they are in the safe.

Does anyone know where I can buy the thick plastic zip lock bags that they use in the Instagram reels of loads of the American dealers?

Or any other thick zip lock bags?

Thanks!
    Dom

Master

Plastic zip lock bags

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddom3 View Post
    Trying to find some cheap watch storage for when they are in the safe.

Does anyone know where I can buy the thick plastic zip lock bags that they use in the Instagram reels of loads of the American dealers?

Or any other thick zip lock bags?

Thanks!
    Dom
    I keep all watch boxes and sets in plastic zip bags. I got mine from Amazon. The clear tough zip type works well.

Master
    So despite the environmental problems with plastic, we still use the stuff for something as irrelevant as a lock bag and even worse, people seek them out.

We really have to stop using plastic.

Hi Mick, that’s a fair challenge.

These are throw away items for me but are going to be used long term.

Do you have an alternative solution for me that will allow me to put lots of watches in a shoe box whilst overlong protection and allowing me to see each one when I want to take them out?

I had considered making something out of felt, but it won’t allow me to find the watch I am looking for as I can’t see them through the packaging.

Thanks

I bought some watch coffins from eBay. They look exactly like the Rolex ones (they may be) and offer very good protection, and sight of what's inside.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

Plastic zip lock bags

There are cheap felt service try pouches on the bay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165969436...mis&media=COPY

Have a search for different sellers colours etc

Bulk buy here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175490442...mis&media=COPY
    Last edited by Middo; 27th April 2023 at 10:27.

Master
    Tesco sell them, as well.

Master
    So it looks ok, plenty of non plastic choice.

I agree with your sentiment, but I don't see any options that make it easy to see which watch is inside.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    So despite the environmental problems with plastic, we still use the stuff for something as irrelevant as a lock bag and even worse, people seek them out.

To be honest I think there is a distinction between the worldwide mountain of single use plastic designed to be thrown away and small items designed for long term use which the OP appears to be looking for.

Master

Understand your view, but I’m happy with my decision.

The bags will be reused and protect the boxes from dust, moisture and loss of parts of the set.

If considering the environmental impact perhaps the carbon footprint to manufacture, shop, retail and service them. Some of this cost would be incurred again if my watches are impacted by dust, moisture or if I have to source a replacement part to maintain the set.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanK View Post
    To be honest I think there is a distinction between the worldwide mountain of single use plastic designed to be thrown away and small items designed for long term use which the OP appears to be looking for.
    The item will eventually be throw away, that is the problem. It's our kids and their kids who have to live with it.

Grand Master

Mick, you're losing the plot thesedays, you're arguing just for the sake of it.

Yes, I agree, I`ve been banging on for years about single use plastic waste, I`m dismayed that it's taken so long for the powers that be to realise what an issue it is, but I can`t change anything. Other than being reasonably careful to avoid adding to plastic waste there's no point in being silly about it, if using a plastic bag is the right solution that's what I do.

If I was the OP I`d get a cheap watch box that'll fit the safe, or maybe make some watch cushions out of bubblewrap and tape to wrap the watches around inside the ziplock bags, but trying to use something other plastic in this context is madness.

My pet rant regarding plastics is kids toys, cheaply made in China, shipped over here, destined to end up in a hole in the ground. Most young babies/toddlers end up crawling around knee-deep in toys, it seems to be the modern way, some will get re-used and recycled but they still end up in landfill. A small child in western society creates a huge amount of waste and has a very large carbon footprint! It wasn`t like that when I was a kid in the 60s.

Master
    Possibly not quite what you’re after but there are a growing number of biodegradable options out there:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07...haWwp13NParams

Craftsman
    Why not use something like this.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...d=pN90UXn7C4mZ

They’re quite compact. Store the watch easily.
    You can use a label gun to identify the watch without opening.

The item will eventually be throw away, that is the problem. It's our kids and their kids who have to live with it.
    How often will you be travelling between Spain and the UK in the next 12 months?

We're all in it together...

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It wasn`t like that when I was a kid in the 60s.
    probably because the vast majority of people didn't have the disposable income that they have now.

while I agree that something needs to be done about the overuse of plastic, we also need to think about how we dispose of it. We also need to stop buying cars with big engines, stop using them to journey between shops less than half a mile apart, stop flying between countries for holidays, stop changing our electronic gadgets such as mobile phones every five minutes (far more problems created from 'temporary' technology than by plastic) and stop over consuming. That's just the intro.

for those wanting to be eco friendly and store watches in boxes, PVA clear bags are water soluble.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Mick, you're losing the plot thesedays, you're arguing just for the sake of it.

Master
    Cousins stock these storage pouches-
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/wa...-storage-pouch