closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smart watches

Smart watches

Thinking of tentatively dipping my toe into the world of smart watches. I've been looking at a certain well know auction site & it appears you can get a Mont Blanc Summit 2 for around £400, a Tag Heuer for a little more but then Citizen have brought the Citizen CZ smart watch & I have a Samsung phone so would a Samsung 'watch' be my best bet????

As you can probably gather, I'm after some real world advice. Does anybody have any experience with any of the above? I am wanting it mainly for the health apps, heart rate, steps etc plus emails whatsapp etc. I am leaning towards the Mont Blanc as the reviews all state its very well made, a nice piece, but being a Summit 2 I would be looking at, is it already so far out of date I'd be wasting my time/money? The Tag from what I gather seems to be the higher end market leader but even second hand I'd be stretching my budget. The Citizen seems intriguing as a newer option & as for Samsung they have sooo many models out there. Do you have to carry your phone at all time to utilize all the apps? Any help/advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

I've had a couple, last one was a fit bit that the Mrs has nabbed. Next one likely to be a Garmin

Really depends what you want from it or will use it for.

If it's half serious sport then Garmin

If it's heart monitoring move to Apple

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

There's a Garmin fenix 5 on SC for £45 h can't go wrong with that

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    I personally wouldn’t spend a fortune as they are IMO renewable tech (like a phone) rather than potentially a keeper like a watch.

One of the main factors for me was frequency of charging - there’s no way I would want to charge something every day or few days.

Also wasn’t fussed on loads of notifications, I’ve got a phone for that and that is more than enough.

I found the Garmin Fenix with a discount worked well but currently don’t have a smart watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    I personally wouldn’t spend a fortune as they are IMO renewable tech (like a phone) rather than potentially a keeper like a watch.
    This is my feeling.

Unless you're going to completely switch to a Smart watch, they seem a bit of a gimmick.

Maybe useful for hiking or exercise, but not as an occasional wear

I wear a conventional watch on my left wrist and a small Huawei fit band on my right, which tracks steps, sleep patterns and heart rate. It seems fairly accurate, although I've never bothered checking against any calibrated device.

The point, for me, is an incentive to get some exercise each day and it works well for that.

I have to say that I'm quite interested in the new Huawei Ultimate which seems an excellent alternative to the Apple Watch for scuba divers (better functionality than the Apple with no subscription required and it looks like a decent watch, rather than a lump of cheap plastic jewelry on your wrist).

I think it's a bit expensive to take a punt on thought, but I will keep my eyes open for a used example as a backup Computer.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    One thing that suprised me when I bought my Garmin forerunner 45 was how quickly it made all my other watches redundant! I bought in Sept 22 and its still my daily wearer, so its not the novelty factor.

Yes Im influenced by fitness and have always wanted to know how far I have walked cycled and resting / peak HR etc, but the sheer convenience of seeing the first line of a message and thus deciding if it’s necessary to answer is brilliant. Whilst cycling with my phone in my pocket I can see at a glance who’s calling.

Lastly when buying something in a shop with my card or phone , I can feel the transaction has gone through, so it removes any anxiety of double payments ( which I have had!)

Yes they are functional, mine was £105, just be prepared for your other watches to sit in a drawer and just come out on special occasions.

There are three types. Smart, health, and fitness.

Smart would be something like apple, Samsung, pixel.

Health would be something like Withings

Fitness would be Garmin, apple, sunto, Cronus

Garmin Venu 2 is a great watch.

Craftsman
    I like the Honor band 5.

• It doesn't look like a watch, so can pass as bangle/bracelet jewellery on the non-watch wrist (and hence you won't look like a Schwartzkopf geek LOL)
    • The battery lasts a week
    • It has the heart and sleep functions
    • It does steps
    • It has a useful "find my phone" bluetooth function
    • It has 50m water resistance, so is shower friendly.
    • It was £25 :-)
    Last edited by 459GMB; 7th May 2023 at 08:38.