closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Specsavers :(

Specsavers :(

Collected new glasses from Specsavers this afternoon. New occupational glasses are not really usable with my computer despite me explaining to the optometrist the required eyes to screen distance during the examination ... and the varifocals could be a lot better. Will persevere in case eyes need to get used to them but no high hopes of them being keepers. I did not have much confidence in the optometrist who examined my eyes and the optician who ordered the the glasses. This has happened with Specsavers on several occasions and I’d made up my mind I’d never go back there again … but then thought a different branch might be OK. Not happy :( Anticipate will likely have to make another appointment for a revised prescription.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Collected new glasses from Specsavers this afternoon. New occupational glasses are not really usable with my computer despite me explaining to the optometrist the required eyes to screen distance during the examination ... and the varifocals could be a lot better. Will persevere in case eyes need to get used to them but no high hopes of them being keepers. I did not have much confidence in the optometrist who examined my eyes and the optician who ordered the the glasses. This has happened with Specsavers on several occasions and I’d made up my mind I’d never go back there again … but then thought a different branch might be OK. Not happy :( Anticipate will likely have to make another appointment for a revised prescription.
    Sorry to hear this. Used them once and that was enough. Now use a small local optician who has better technology and never had any issues with new glasses.

Best advice is try and find a decent independent

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

My local Specsavers re-glazed some existing frames for me and they were spot on.

I already had a prescription, but they measured the frames and PD and 2 weeks later they were ready.

Can't comment on their actual eye testing.

Aren't Specsavers a franchise business, so that local branches are effectively independently owned?

I have nothing but good things to say about our local branch.

My local branch have been more than satisfactory.

My only beef is probably universal amongst big-scale retailers; I see a banner saying "Special Offer - Buy One pair for £69, get a second pair free".

So I go in, get examined, choose a suitable frame, then get spanked for about £300.

Turns out the £69 doesn't include lenses, frames, cases, coatings, screws, cleaning cloths, etc ad infinitum. Fall for it every time!

Happy with the glasses though.

I was there today. Collect glasses next week.

Fast, efficient and sensibly priced.

I think with all these type of service business, it comes down to who you get on the day

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

My daughter and I had an eye test. I paid extra for some additional test.

She needs glasses, but covered by the NHS. I paid extra for some lens coatings for her.

So one set of glasses, 2 eye tests, all told cost £40 and could have got away for a £10!

Impressed with that.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Always found them totally satisfactory. Easy to make an appointment, always get seen to on time, they don't try to get me to have new glasses when not needed, when they are they range from very cheap to designer (and those are two for one).
    Must be a bit of a postcode lottery if the OP's experience is very different.

I was dissatisfied and the branch - and I believe the whole network - make a big noise about total satisfaction or a no-quibble full refund. Gave me my money back and a copy of my prescription, so I suggest you get back in touch straight away.

Just go back, they should hopefully resolve any issues. A while back I had a whole host of problems with my specs from the Wembley branch but repeated visits and they eventually sorted things out.

Master
    Don’t persist with lenses that dont seem right. Go back and tell them you have tried and you are not happy. They will have to take action. My wife and I have used SS for years. Only once I put the new glasses on and they felt odd. The encouraged me “ give them time” The sensation was so odd I refused them, they re measured re glazed and the subsequent pair were fine.

It only costs them a few pounds plus some shop time, so nothing lost.

Had this with Costco once and took some advice from David on here who is an optician.

Got the refund and went back to my previous optician and never had an issue since.

I go to a David Clullow which is a chain but the optician there is the franchise owner which I doubt would be the case at a Specsavers. Seems to make a difference.

Master
    Blog Entries
    From my various moves, it really does seem down to the ability of the actual optician who tests you. I always need a set of Vari for nomal wear plus a set for computer use:

Asda: Awful, needed 2 tests and both replaced to get it right.
    SpecSavers: Computer glasses needed re-doing twice
    Costco: Expensive but both were better quality lenses and both were right first time.

Master
    Had mixed experiences with Specsavers, it seems to depend on who you see on the day. We have had some excellent service including a staff member tracking down ex display glasses so my son who is autistic could keep the same frame style he had been wearing for years, to the absolutely awful when my wife walked out in tears after being spoken to in a unacceptable manor.

For big chains we have moved to Boots and we have used four stores in the past couple of years and excellent service from them all. My son recently went into a branch near uni with his broken glasses and asked if they still did the same ones as he wanted to replace like for like (he's worn glasses for 18 years and only had 4 different styles) they advised they didn't he was a little stressed at the idea of having to choose new ones, and they offered to attempt a repair. They managed to repair them, cleaned them, and adjusted them all on a busy Saturday morning with no appointment.

Sent from my moto g53 5G using Tapatalk

Master
    Big is not beautiful when it comes to personal service and quality!!! Stick with local and reliable. Then you have a face to talk to and a reputation to rely on.

Yes, they are a franchise. Not that it makes much difference, wherever you go you won't get working glasses if the optometrist and the dispensing optician aren't good at their jobs.

My main beef with Specsavers is the astonishingly poor quality of their frames. I've had several pairs from them because they are so much cheaper than a good independent. The longest I've had a Specsavers frame last is just over two years, and that was because it was a chunky, heavy, farily uncomfortable thing. The shortest a Specsavers frame lasted was two months, their rimless frames are utter garbage.

i expressed my doubts to Specsavers yesterday as to whether the prescribed glasses are suitable for my vision and was advised to," ... try them for two weeks ..." so my eyes get used to them – and only then make another appointment if they prove unsuitable. I will cooperate and take their advice but judging by previous experience with Specsavers, anticipate having to go back before the suggested two weeks.

Edit 22 April:

Today received a Specsavers feedback email:

We value your feedback

Thank you for choosing Specsavers XXxxxxxxx Xxxxxx branch for your eye care needs. We truly value your opinion and to keep improving our services we would love to hear about your recent visit.

Therefore, we would really appreciate it if you took 5 minutes to share your thoughts via this quick survey.

I'll complete the feedback in a week's time with truthful, factual answers and I'll be polite

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 23rd April 2023 at 01:12.

Master
    I had varifocals for occupational glasses & they were very poor. I took them back & they replaced the varifocal lenses with single vision ones which were much better.

I also ordered a pair from Glasses Direct using my prescription & the vision was very good, although the frames were not great. They took them back & I picked a better frame & I'd certainly use them again in future.

Master
    I had a Specsavers appointment today.

It was a very pleasant experience as usual culminating in purchasing a new pair of glasses.

I was checked for cataracts and the whole test took about 45 minutes.

The shop floor colleague discussed whether to keep my frames, as was my first thought, with my new prescription but I decided against that as the frames were already 5 years old.

I came away from a free visit, 20% discount for being old and an additional discount because...

I was told that I had 100 days to return the new glasses with no charge if I didn't get on with them.

scooter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    i expressed my doubts to Specsavers yesterday as to whether the prescribed glasses are suitable for my vision and was advised to," ... try them for two weeks ..." so my eyes get used to them – and only then make another appointment if they prove unsuitable. I will cooperate and take their advice but judging by previous experience with Specsavers, anticipate having to go back before the suggested two weeks.
    My other half had the same experience. She has worn contacts for years and during a recent eye test her prescription was totally different, they gave her glasses with the new prescription and when she told them she couldn’t see, the wear for 2 weeks to make sure was the reply. She went back complained and they redid the eye test and lo and behold it was the same as the one 2 years ago so they capitulated and have given her some new glasses and lenses.

Me I would have just got my money back and gone somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    If I wanted a really good optician I wouldn't be going to a random Specsavers. Not unless I knew a really good optician who happened to work there.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    If I wanted a really good optician I wouldn't be going to a random Specsavers. Not unless I knew a really good optician who happened to work there.
    Isn't that true of any opticians, not just Specsavers?!

"If I wanted a really good optician I wouldn't be going to a random <Insert Name Here>. Not unless I knew a really good optician who happened to work there."

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Isn't that true of any opticians, not just Specsavers?!

"If I wanted a really good optician I wouldn't be going to a random <Insert Name Here>. Not unless I knew a really good optician who happened to work there."
    Of course, I didn’t suggest that it wasn’t

I think the point being made below was that if i was looking for specs i wouldn't for one minute consider spec savers. Im sure theres good and bad ones however there should hardly be a surprise when something isn’t right. When i needed glasses several years ago the advise from the family who have been glasses wearers for years was to steer clear of them. I guess they're ok at a price point but id really like to know the difference between going there and a small quality Indy.

Very similar - have a new pair of glasses that don’t feel right vision wise. I went back in - had an argument with one of the dispensing opticians who was being very confrontational, and eventually got another appointment - turns out that everything looks fine on the test, but with the new glasses it isn’t - they were blaming the high index lens on my left eyes prescription , and will make an appointment for me to see another dispensing optician - I’m tempted just to have them made up to my old prescription, as I couldn’t use a computer screen or phone with them - supposed to be only one step stronger in one eye, and the same in the other.
    It's just a matter of time...

After 'trying' the two pairs of Specsavers' specs for 2 weeks (as advised) I attended another appointment today. Long story short the prescription was incorrect for BOTH pairs and and the 'occupational' specs (computer & reading) dispensed were not to specification ref "digression". The more senior / experienced optometrist was excellent and explained everything very well and apologised . Then with the revised prescription she took me to a senior optical assistant who measured my eyes etc and marked the lenses in readiness for the revised 'making / dispensing'. I should have new specs within 2 weeks but today was waiting in and around Specsavers from 11.30 to 16.00 ref in effect, three appointments – second to see the optometrist after the supervisor optician confirmed the first specs dispensed were not satisfactory. I had other priorities today but the specs are required asap so can drive long distance in comfort – so can actually READ road signs. Hopefully all will have been resolved in two weeks time.

BW, dunk

Master
    Well done for your tenacity and not allowing your eyes to “ get used to “ a wrong prescription.

Master
    I recently went to spec savers to get an eye test as my eyes had gotten a fair bit worse but bought my glasses from a online place I always go to. (Spec savers don’t stock the make of frames I like) I am nearsighted so wear glasses for distance. Recently though I have noticed I need to remove my glasses for reading anything close, laptop work (that I do a lot of) at a few feet away is fine with glasses on.

The new glasses/prescription I have make seeing distances much better but I cannot see anything up close as before but now can’t see my laptop and I can’t see my laptop without glasses. My previous prescription isn’t as good for distances (but good enough) but makes working on my laptop much easier. I do have to take them off to read though. Don’t want bifocals or varifocals. Long story short I have gone back to my old glasses/prescription but feels like that might the the wrong thing…..

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably will not escape varifocals.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    You may be right……

Anyone have any experience of varifocals, the whole thing seems a bit odd to me!

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    I recently went to spec savers to get an eye test as my eyes had gotten a fair bit worse but bought my glasses from a online place I always go to. (Spec savers don’t stock the make of frames I like) I am nearsighted so wear glasses for distance. Recently though I have noticed I need to remove my glasses for reading anything close, laptop work (that I do a lot of) at a few feet away is fine with glasses on.

The new glasses/prescription I have make seeing distances much better but I cannot see anything up close as before but now can’t see my laptop and I can’t see my laptop without glasses. My previous prescription isn’t as good for distances (but good enough) but makes working on my laptop much easier. I do have to take them off to read though. Don’t want bifocals or varifocals. Long story short I have gone back to my old glasses/prescription but feels like that might the the wrong thing…..

Any thoughts on what I should do?

You likely require a separate "OCCUPATIONAL" prescription for computer and reading use. Many people have same in addition to their regular specs. Varifocals may not necessarily or adequately cover reading and computer use but all depends on an individual's eyes' characteristics. My computer is 82cm distant from my sitting position (eye to screen distance, my iMac being on top of my bureau) but my reading distance is c.30cm – so my 'occupational' specs will specifically cover both distances – provided the lenses' "digressions" are dispensed properly at the making stage.
    Google 'lens digression' for a fuller explanation.
    Last edited by sundial; 5th May 2023 at 10:44.

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    You may be right……

Anyone have any experience of varifocals, the whole thing seems a bit odd to me!
    I am short-sighted and ageing, and have worn varifocals for over 10 years. Mine are set to allow me to read my computer screen effortlessly and read road signals from a distance, (= drive). The astigmatism is an added complication but my lenses are dealing with whatever the issue might be perfectly.
    Lenses have got significantly thinner than the ones my father used to wear, as have the drawbacks. For example I never experienced any issue going down the stairs when he had to be cautious.
    Apart from the cost, which is not insignificant, the only downside of my set up is that I tend to lift my glasses on top of my head when reading my phone, because the position is more comfortable than it would be if I extended my arms enough to varifocal distance. And frankly, while it may look odd to remove your glasses to see, it has never bothered me.
    Mine are from Vision Express but I believe the sign above the door is not important: the optician inside is.

Master
    I have both varifocals and a pair of pure distance glasses as I find the standalone pair much better when I’m driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I have both varifocals and a pair of pure distance glasses as I find the standalone pair much better when I’m driving.
    I have that second pair too in my car but struggle to read dashboard or satnav. But they were free and it’s still a security to have a second pair.

Journeyman

Lensology

Hi

I used Lensology tail end of last year and worked out very well for an Internet (Pinner, Londinium) based company.

Though averse to internet thingys like this I took the plunge and pleasantly surprised. Good communication throughout and used my own frames again.

Small company/team from what I gathered from a Manager but people who want to help.

L-K