closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex waiting lists

Craftsman

Rolex waiting lists

I registered interest in an OP around 2 years ago, but have had no contact from the AD yet. It would be my first Rolex purchase with this retailer. In the information pack that they sent me it wasn't clear that if I registered interested for the same watch at a different retailer that I would be struck off the list at Rolex HQ, though it is clear that if did this at another one of their branches this would be the case.

I'm not really one for buying into the whole Rolex hype surrounding their modern collections and rarely buy "new" watches (the OP is the only watch I would really be interested in from this brand). So my question really is am I stuck waiting to hear back from this AD or could I try my luck elsewhere?
    Last edited by Spesh; 8th May 2023 at 12:52.

If I wad trying to get my first Rolex from an AD, I'd be visiting each month or so to have a chat etc. Have you been in over the last two years to chase this up?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    I did reply to your original thread then deleted as I saw it was in the wrong section. So try again!

I tried 2 ADs and neither of them bothered to reply to me after initial contact. They were more interested in suggesting if I bought other brands from them I'd probably be able to buy the Rolex.

A member on here introduced me to the AD they use. Not even local to me. 3 to 4 weeks later and I had an Explorer.

Blog Entries
    Did you occasionally shower your AD with gifts? If not, forget it.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    It depends a bit on which version you want. Personal opinion though, I would play the field.

Prices are softening by the week and it'll start to deter the flippers from buying stuff which aren't the hottest models, so I can see a time soon where ADs call buyers only to be told they have changed their mind (Explorer 1 is already starting to trade around retail).

That's my hope anyway.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    If I wad trying to get my first Rolex from an AD, I'd be visiting each month or so to have a chat etc. Have you been in over the last two years to chase this up?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    I've been in a couple of times but had been told the usual story that they have no control over allocation and they will be in touch if one becomes available. I wouldn't have thought an OP should be too challenging to source, so I get the impression that they took my details to appear interested, but possibly never had any intention of ensuring the watch came to me.

Also try your luck with another AD, and keep popping in occasionally.

Rolex waiting lists

I put my name down for a Pepsi about 5 years ago before they went super crazy.

Never bothered following up and know I will now never get a call. But after 5 years, I’m not now interested in the watch or Rolex in general.

I will keep my 116610LN because I bought it in 2012 when there was very little hype and you went in to an AD, put an order in, and they phoned you several weeks later to pick it up.

Blog Entries
    Frankly I would not bother, you only have one life and wasting a chunk of it begging to be allowed to buy a grotesquely overpriced Rolex is not a great use of your valuable time. I bought my final Rolex some years ago and then decided that Rolex and their supercilious AD’s could absolutely *ucking ‘do one’, my position has not changed, nor will it!

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I put my name down for a Pepsi about 5 years ago before they went super crazy.

Never bothered following up and know I will now never get a call. But after 5 years, I’m not now interested in the watch or Rolex in general.

I will keep my 116610LN because I bought it in 2012 when there was very little hype and you went in to an AD, put an order in, and they phoned you several weeks later to pick it up.
    Same, 3.5 years for a GMT

I’ve ceased checking in every 6 months in person. I am also 6 months into a wait for a DateJust, although I won’t chase it, and at this stage I’m likely to turn it down if offered. I have 4 Rolex to choose from, but I nearly always wear something else that I find interesting. I’ve ceased to have much more than lukewarm interest in them, old school Panerai seems to have been the cure.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the year or so that has passed from the time I put on my name for a 124270, I checked in twice via text and twice in person. I've even added a Datejust and lately the Celebration motif dial. Shoot for the moon, they say.
    Of course, no good news yet. I don't mind waiting, I have other watches to tide me over.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Rolex waiting lists

Quote Originally Posted by lexminute View Post
    Shoot for the moon, they say.
    Ring up and add a Daytona to the list. They may come easily as one then .

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have had my name for a Pepsi since release day. I have bought a number of watches( including a BLNR and datejust) from that particular AD, my number has still not come up. Maybe due to me relocating last year. I am still a fan of that AD, they have some fantastic staff two who are true enthusiasts, I would often chat watches with them including brands they don’t stock but we’re a fan of at the price point.

I did find a family AD not too far from where I leave and they were super helpful in choosing and sourcing a datejust for the wife’s birthday. I was a surprise gift so took a bit of thinking in my part.

My name is down with them for one. If it comes in, yay but I can’t be arsed with the Arum group shenanigans and have my BLNR.

I hope you get your watch, I do fear with prices going mad there are better options now at the price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Did you occasionally shower your AD with gifts? If not, forget it.

And make sure you remember their birthdays.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    In late 2021 I registered interest in my local AD for an OP with no history with them. If I was passing I’d call in to say Hi and talk watches to one of the salesmen who was a watch guy. I’d say the others were salesman rather than enthusiasts - all cheap suits and veneered teeth smiles, whiter than white lacquered dials.

I had the call about 6 months later, bought the watch and expressed interest in an Explorer. I keep in touch and more recently have bought another brand from them and whilst there expressed interest in a Daytona.

Last week after calling in on the off chance of something being in stock I realised this is bloody daft and have lost interest in ‘needing’ to buy another Rolex. That said, I’ll probably call in occasionally to talk watches and drink coffee. Of course, I’m unlikely to get a call on a Daytona, though a salesman told me there is an increasing number of people who turn down the watches when they receive the call.

Much more importantly for me is that I realise it’s a silly game which I no longer care about.

We were in London a month ago and popped into Harrods and was having a good browse and chat. My wife was interested in an Explorer 36mm and we got a call the following week.I guess it’s just a case of asking around. Bucherer in Covent Garden we’re the opposite, no chance of getting anything even if you dropped £50k in diamonds.
    We’re in the dog house with my AD so I doubt anything will be coming from them even though I’m a good customer of over 25 years. (5 or 6 previous Rolex including a Daytona ceramic).
    Like many others ive gone off the new Rolex models because of the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    Much more importantly for me is that I realise it’s a silly game which I no longer care about.
    A view shared by many, but recently preowned prices have softened on some models. Obviously steel Daytonas and GMTs are still carrying a heavy premium, but the premium on the likes of the SD43 (50) has dropped from a few grand to just a couple of hundred in some cases and I have even seen a few without the guarantee card (presumably from the AD silly games period) that have been offered below list price.

Depending on the watch and specifics (dial, bracelet, bezel type) wanted it might be worth checking out the used prices.

SydR
    Back in January 2018, when I was looking to buy a Submariner 114060, I contacted every AD within a 3 hour drive of home as well as all those in cities in England I typically traveled to for business or leisure.

Didn’t seem to get me backlisted anywhere as I was contacted within 6 weeks by two ADs with one for me. I appreciate things have changed since but no harm in expressing interest with ADs outside of the their branches / group.

Craftsman
    If you haven't got a basic model like OP or Datejust in a couple of years ,they aren't going to give you a watch for whatever reason,just go grey .People don't get Daytona's or Pepsi these days unless they are very good customers who have spent 6 figures with them on watches including less popular ones ,that's the way it is ,it's not right but it's the situation either go grey or don't get the watch

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

People going grey is what's been fuelling the situation, although the market is now a very different place than 12 months ago. In the past 6 months demand from AD's has also dropped with people passing on watches. The grey dealers are trying to hold firm on prices but I cannot see it lasting for much longer.

I would make contact with as many AD's as possible and call in and see them when passing. The current wait times are nowhere near as long as quoted!