closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bremont release tonight

Master
    Not a fan. Big, ugly and cheap looking. These are the same tests the original MB (supposedly) went through so all you're paying for over the original MB is the movement and a (IMO) nasty forged carbon body. I know which one I'd rather have.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Quite a lot of both sold last night so its flicking someones switches before the general public get to have a go today.

My comments last night to the boys and team were if it rolls out with a black or grey or coloured dial with options of bezels in darker or cool colours it will be getting my money. Ive said before on others that white dials on orange look like gingers on the first morning of a hot holiday but in black or other contrasts id wear it all
    Day long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sounds like a circle-jerk and someone had the soggy biscuit.

Grand Master
    Quote from the MB Team.

If any other luxury watch maker asked to have their movements teated this extensively to perform on and after ejection it would cost them over half a million.

I am not a groupie, I may or may not own a viper but I do like a robust movement and a unique project!!
    RIAC

Master
    Quote from the MB Team.

If any other luxury watch maker asked to have their movements teated this extensively to perform on and after ejection it would cost them over half a million.

I am not a groupie, I may or may not own a viper but I do like a robust movement and a unique project!!
    That's because they don't have a partnership or have mutually raised eachothers branding. They also haven't made James Martin a solid gold MB...

Quote from the MB Team.

Not entirely sure why fighter pilots can’t just wear a £100 g shock if that’s what they’re designing the movement to withstand? Ok not a luxury watch but is that required by fighter pilots after ejection? I don’t really have an opinion either way with Bremont but isn’t this all a bit Walter Mitty?

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    and a (IMO) nasty forged carbon body.
    I don't think it is a forged carbon body If you read my earlier post I asked if the design had changed as the graphic posted earlier showed a forged carbon body but release photos and the description are of coated titanium.

If any other luxury watch maker asked to have their movements teated this extensively to perform on and after ejection it would cost them over half a million
    it was a nice usp for the original MB which was a nice, small-ish, casual wearing almost fashion watch and relatively inexpensive at the time. It's no longer a usp for the Viper which costs an extra £1500 over the current MB, isn't really a casual wearing watch and uses a movement which is now in several Bremont models. The design of the watch is it's usp but it's very Marmite at best. Until I've tried one on I'm reserving final judgement but it's certainly not tempting me yet.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Not entirely sure why fighter pilots can’t just wear a £100 g shock if that’s what they’re designing the movement to withstand? Ok not a luxury watch but is that required by fighter pilots after ejection? I don’t really have an opinion either way with Bremont but isn’t this all a bit Walter Mitty?
    You will never eject and its also unlikely you will be at -70c or dive to 4000m, if you had a Breitling Emergency you would probably never activate the international alarm from the top of a Mountain and its also unlikely you will own one but you can enjoy the testing and feel assured that the watch is strong and reliable.

And if we are really honest most GMT owners forget to use the 2nd hand and most chrono owners probably timed an egg when they first brought one and haven't used the function since and 90% of this forum could not tell a balance wheel from an escape wheel however we are all 'experts' and love the sport.

RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    What a bizarre analogy!

Most high street furniture companies have sale after sale. ?

Bremont do seem to have quite a few limited editions but (and it's a big but) there are plenty of watch manufacturers who have just as many and Seiko/Grand Seikos limited edition releases seem to pale everyone else's into comparison yet you seem to have highlighted Bremont for some reason?

I actually don't see any harm in limited edition releases.
    I don't like "limited editions" for several reasons:

• There's no set definition as to what limited means. For Omega it could mean 1,969 pieces, for a company like Bremont it could mean 20.
    • The hook is that if you're a "true" collector you have to buy this one.
    • Should a limited edition actually take off, the company will have a number of disgruntled, potential purchasers who are unable to get what they want.
    • It's a manipulative, marketing gimmick. So perfectly at home in Bremont's strategy.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

• There's no set definition as to what limited means. For Omega it could mean 1,969 pieces, for a company like Bremont it could mean 20.
    • Should a limited edition actually take off, the company will have a number of disgruntled, potential purchasers who are unable to get what they want.
    • It's a manipulative, marketing gimmick. So perfectly at home in Bremont's strategy.
    to counter your reasoning;

all limited means, regardless of the numbers is that there will be a limited number of people able to purchase it. There can be numerous reasons why someone would choose a limited edition - perceived residual values, showing off with friends, the likelihood of seeing another etc.

there isn't such a thing as a 'true' collector. A person can have any number of reasons for collecting something. So far, in my experiences as fan of watches, I've never heard anyone refer to themselves as a collector.

your third comment happens regardless of a limited edition or not. There again, some brands despite not officially having limited editions might consider their production rather limited. Rolex anyone?

of course it's a manipulative marketing gimmick. That's the nature of sales. Making a product better, less available, more exclusive (to a target market), less expensive (to a different market) are all manipulative marketing gimmicks. When you go to the supermarket and they have BOGOF offers, do you refuse to buy as it's a marketing gimmick? What about buying a car when offered free optional extras or insurance? Given a choice of two watches, both of which you desire, you can only afford one right now, one is part of a standard range and the other a limited edition - which would you buy?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

In this case 250 units

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    A 250 unit run of a quirky cased watch that was a movement testing mule for future iterations of the state MB range may be quite collectible.
    I could be wrong and it might be the design that gives the impression that it's limited edition but I don't think the Viper is. The Vulcan certainly is limited edition but from what I can tell on Bremonts website, the Viper is going to be a standard model.

edit: corrected - the Viper is indeed a LE.
    Last edited by theancientmariner; 14th May 2023 at 16:08.

I could be wrong and it might be the design that gives the impression that it's limited edition but I don't think the Viper is. The Vulcan certainly is limited edition but from what I can tell on Bremonts website, the Viper is going to be a standard model.
    Ha. ha! Whilst you may be correct, since I have had multiple Bremont. I have an original U2 and had a P-51, both of which are currently aesthetically reproduced in similar guises. I have put my order in for this watch. I chatted for an hour+ with my dealer and have reviewed this thread, which makes me laugh. Whilst it's ignorant not to listen to advice, I have reviewed the negative comments on this thread and see them as objective endorsements, especially in light of the research I have done and relative to my other watches.

The Viper is limited to 300 pieces, the Bremont page on it clearly says so.
    Having had a titanium Bremont, my concern is that they are still not surface treating the material in the same way that they do their steel. My Alt1-P has resisted almost all wear, it is commendably tough. The titanium one I had marked very easily, easier in fact than many of my other Ti watches (and I have a few, Tutima, EZM1, Pelagos etc). I do not see a reference to Bremont case hardening this Ti, which is a concern.
    What's more, it moves the anodised aluminium (which is present on the U2 and MB ranges) to a more vulnerable case position, and this too presents a wear issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The Viper is limited to 300 pieces, the Bremont page on it clearly says so.
    Not clearly enough, can't see any reference at all on my laptop. Where is the reference to 300 pieces on Bremonts web page?

Grand Master

Bremont release tonight

Not clearly enough, can't see any reference at all on my laptop. Where is the reference to 300 pieces on Bremonts web page?
    Gets a mention here!

Last edited by 100thmonkey; 14th May 2023 at 12:30.
    RIAC

Gets a mention here!

Got it thanks. Checked using my mobile phone. The small text appears on my mobile but not on my laptop. Very odd!

Grand Master
    Got it thanks. Checked using my mobile phone. The small text appears on my mobile but not on my laptop. Very odd!
    No worries, when you take away the brand ambassadors and VIP there’s about 250 for the General Public
    RIAC

Master
    No worries, when you take away the brand ambassadors and VIP there’s about 250 for the General Public
    Bremont always make more than the stated amount for the Co founders, MB employees, ambassadors etc. You can't maximise profit and pay for PR with freebies.

Grand Master
    Bremont always make more than the stated amount for the Co founders, MB employees, ambassadors etc. You can't maximise profit and pay for PR with freebies.
    That’s not true as the Employees, Brand Ambassadors, VIP get the chance to buy at a reduced rate that varies as the evening of invited did but 300 is the production. What follows the Viper will more than cover the costs coupled with the brand strengthening rather than not producing new.
    RIAC

I see there a 6/8 week wait for the Viper so I guess we will not see one the the shop to try

You can't maximise profit and pay for PR with freebies.
    It's called a marketing budget.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    I see there a 6/8 week wait for the Viper so I guess we will not see one the the shop to try
    I suspect that's just a caveat in case a particular serial number is ordered that hasn't been assembled. There will undoubtedly be some in the boutiques for potential customers to look at and I dare say that some might even have been purchased by AD's and available to view at their shops. Of course, when they're all sold then there won't be any left except on customers wrists.

Master
    That’s not true as the Employees, Brand Ambassadors, VIP get the chance to buy at a reduced rate that varies as the evening of invited did but 300 is the production. What follows the Viper will more than cover the costs coupled with the brand strengthening rather than not producing new.
    VIP's yes they of course have to buy as they are still Joe Public they just get first dibs, and employees discount doesn't extend to limited editions (and in the 2.5 years I worked there I didn't know anymore who spend their hard earned money on a £7k watch).

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I actually really like the Viper. Agree that the hands look a little flat and would love to see it in a black dial but the anodised orange and case work really well imo.
    Reminds me of old aviation clocks which I suppose is entirely the point but id wear one.

(and in the 2.5 years I worked there I didn't know anymore who spend their hard earned money on a £7k watch).
    £5.5k watch but who's counting.

I guess that you didn't mix in the right circles. At least one of Bremonts directors owns a Bremont worth more than £7k that they purchased before working there. Then of course, the sales and office staff in Henley and London were (maybe still are) given a Bremont after working there for over 2 years, some of those watches being worth the same as the Viper so why would they buy another? Finally, I imagine that many of the staff that work at Bremont may not be in a financial position to justify a £7k watch. I'm quite sure I couldn't if I worked in London (or near Silverstone)

Grand Master

A few added images from Instagram
    And Launch. It does genuinely look better in person and at 58g feels really unique in hand and a dream to wear. Be great in the heat and on the ski slopes.
    RIAC

I’ve seen that profile somewhere

And that publicity shot looks familiar too

D

Grand Master

Bremont release tonight

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I’ve seen that profile somewhere

And that publicity shot looks familiar too

D

Fair one you never see a diver wearing a dive watch! They are similar but not the same. B&R are quite cube and dont sit great on some wrists this seems to and the BR is a pilot instrument design watch so of course it will be similar.

All none Square hexagon watches are similar ish much like 90% of round ones. No sign of heat and cold and having shook a few of them they will stop. A pilot wearing one isnt like one being actually ejected multiple times. Bit like seeing a diver deep at sea rather than on a shiny yacht.

Just for a little knowledge the case was originally designed not to be sold but to test a movement and has been adapted and hollowed into a wearable.

Last edited by 100thmonkey; 16th May 2023 at 13:19.
    RIAC

Master
    £5.5k watch but who's counting.

I guess that you didn't mix in the right circles. At least one of Bremonts directors owns a Bremont worth more than £7k that they purchased before working there. Then of course, the sales and office staff in Henley and London were (maybe still are) given a Bremont after working there for over 2 years, some of those watches being worth the same as the Viper so why would they buy another? Finally, I imagine that many of the staff that work at Bremont may not be in a financial position to justify a £7k watch. I'm quite sure I couldn't if I worked in London (or near Silverstone)
    You guessed wrong unfortunately and you've just echoed what I said, given they pay the majority of their staff around the average UK salary, very few can afford that sort of money on a watch.
    Being gifted a 3 hander base model (not ltd edition, not a partner watch) after 2 years is a bit different to spending £5.5k of your own money.

You guessed wrong unfortunately and you've just echoed what I said, given they pay the majority of their staff around the average UK salary, very few can afford that sort of money on a watch.
    Being gifted a 3 hander base model (not ltd edition, not a partner watch) after 2 years is a bit different to spending £5.5k of your own money.
    May be, may be not.

problem is that I don't see your point? Some of those at Bremont that can afford to splash out on a £5.5k Bremont have done so, just because you're not aware of it, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Those that can't afford one obviously won't buy one.

incidentally, the gifted watches aren't always 3 hander base models. Chronographs and WT's in some cases but you're quite right, being given one isn't the same as spending £5.5k of your hard earned.

Grand Master
    The financial status of Bremont staff is interesting! I know that one of their number has ordered one as they love it and know its potential.

It is interesting though, because luxury watches don't equal luxury wages for the majority of the workforce and I think when you're in the trade, as I was for almost a decade, you do become quite complacent and watches become a commodity more than a passion. One thing I love about no longer being, full time, in the trade is that I have returned to my hobby, because when I was doing it as a profession I did find that my interest in watches decreased significantly.

I think it's true that the staff that work at Cadburys up in the Midlands are told to help yourself to as much chocolate as they like, because stops them from stealing it and as a result they don't bother and often you hear how builders houses are in a state of disrepair.
    RIAC

Master
    May be, may be not.

problem is that I don't see your point? Some of those at Bremont that can afford to splash out on a £5.5k Bremont have done so, just because you're not aware of it, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Those that can't afford one obviously won't buy one.

incidentally, the gifted watches aren't always 3 hander base models. Chronographs and WT's in some cases but you're quite right, being given one isn't the same as spending £5.5k of your hard earned.
    You get a chrono after 5 years, and the stipulation is that it is always the property of Bremont and if you leave it's at their discretion whether or not to keep it.

Master
    One thing I love about no longer being, full time, in the trade is that I have returned to my hobby, because when I was doing it as a profession I did find that my interest in watches decreased significantly.
    Definitely. I lost a lot of enthusiasm, which to be honest hasn't come back to what it was but I have a lot of interest in certain brands.

Grand Master
    Definitely. I lost a lot of enthusiasm, which to be honest hasn't come back to what it was but I have a lot of interest in certain brands.
    Really weird isn't it I had that many APs, Pateks, Rolex, even Richard Millie on my wrist during my time in Mayfair and genuinely I don't have any interest in any of them now they're still lovely watchs and I still really enjoy the fact that people can be so enthusiastic about them, but I've had my pleasure and my journey with them and now I'm more focused on other things.

That said now that I'm no longer distracted by the high end hype, I find I'm starting to really enjoy the simple things in life. I can take as much pleasure from a plastic tat moonswatch as I can from something that's big money the only thing I have realised is the really big money stuff just is not worth it. It's just a game, a game that I played and I played it very well. I agreed with a lot of people that what they were about to buy was as beautiful as they considered it was; you go along with it but don't kid yourself everybody in the watch game wants to make money. None of them are your friends and none of them care and having to beg and grovel to the luxury brands for the privilege of buying their watches. It's just degrading yourself, if you're honest, dealing with a company like Bremont, where you can talk personally to the person that made your watch or indeed many other manufacturers that will treat you far better is alot nicer.

And before I get flamed by the naysayers and the negative Nelly on here, I'm not a Bremont fun boy. I'm a watch fun boy if I like it that's all that matters as I get older I'm learning not to hate
    RIAC

You get a chrono after 5 years, and the stipulation is that it is always the property of Bremont and if you leave it's at their discretion whether or not to keep it.
    that was the theory but didn't always work that way in practice.

still, if you're not a collector and Bremont give (or loan) you a watch while you work there then why would you spend thousands on another? Of course the Bremont that you're wearing is free PR for them and also a nice wardrobe addition so it's really a win-win.

Really weird isn't it I had that many APs, Pateks, Rolex, even Richard Millie on my wrist during my time in Mayfair and genuinely I don't have any interest in any of them now they're still lovely watchs and I still really enjoy the fact that people can be so enthusiastic about them, but I've had my pleasure and my journey with them and now I'm more focused on other things.
    Do you not think the applies to any job? Even if you retain the interest in the product that you work with, it loses some of the mystique that it holds for others simply because you see it every day. It reminds me of an episode of a very popular sitcom where one of the female leads works in a coffee shop and while she's talking to a gynaecologist that she's attracted to he says (excuse the paraphrasing) - "you work in a coffee shop - aren't there some days when you just think if I see one more cup of coffee....."

Craftsman
    It's a Benefit in Kind issue. It was the same at Bentley with Breitling watches. You have to pay (generally) 40% tax on a "gifted" watch but not if it's retained as company property and loaned to you for promotional purposes. Bentley then, generally, allowed employees to keep them when they left for a small charity donation as a "ex-promotional" watch with no tax paid. This was in addition to a hefty discount on any Brietling for all employees. Some very exclusive watches were kept in the company safe for use by executives on VIP visits.

Master
    that was the theory but didn't always work that way in practice.
    You sound like you're speaking from experience.