closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car ding repair question

Car ding repair question

Hi guys,

Had someone reverse into my new car a couple of weeks ago, at our work carpark.
    Hasn't caused structural damage but there's a decent sized ding over 3 panels of the rear bumper. When this has happened to my older cars I've always been happy to have it repaired at a local bodyshop, but it's 5 months old, from new (BMW i4 M50, so to me, it's a relatively expensive car). Would it be wrong to demand a new bumper from the guy who dinged it? Just feel that if I was to accept a repair job, I'd feel hard done seeing as it's a brand new car.
    What would I reasonably expect from his insurers?

I'd be expecting nothing else other than your vehicle being repaired as new, and if that requires *anything* being replaced then so be it.

If he's admitted liability, I'd deal with his insurer direct and let them deal with it all. It will probably get a new bumper, just depends when that will be with parts supply. They might offer a BMW-approved repair, which could be quicker than new bumper.

Anyway, I learned from experience that your first call should be to his insurer, not yours.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    If he's admitted liability, I'd deal with his insurer direct and let them deal with it all. It will probably get a new bumper, just depends when that will be with parts supply. They might offer a BMW-approved repair, which could be quicker than new bumper.

Anyway, I learned from experience that your first call should be to his insurer, not yours.
    This 100% and don't accept anything but a new bumper!

I would be happy with a BMW bodyshop repair.

If his insurance offers you their own bodyshop just say when you sell the car you need the BMW warranty complete and intact - not 70% covered by BMW and 30% by someone else.

If it’s that new go through his insurance, wait a few weeks and you may find stress fractures on the mounting points of other plastic parts and panels

Sorry if it's a dumb question but I genuinely don't know - what would be the reason/benefit of letting their insurer deal with the repair?

(the person with the damaged car would still have to inform their insurance company of the accident wouldn't they?)

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

Craftsman
    Very sorry to hear about this.

I had a similar thing happen to me with the rear bumper of BMW I had just purchased and it was the third party’s fault.

I phoned my local BMW dealer where I bought the car from and asked who their body shop is as this ensured that the paint warranty etc would not be compromised.

When the assessor visited to check over my car, he explained that a new bumper cover (the painted bit covering the bumper) would be replaced as it’s more efficient replacing said panel rather than repairing. The assessor also explained how the colour would be matched and then sprayed before it is installed. They also fitted a new diffuser because they come from the factory painted so it’s quicker to replace than attempt to repair.
    When I got the car back, it looked excellent and you couldn’t tell anything had been done.

Considering the car etc, I’d be very surprised if yours doesn’t get a new bumper panel (and diffuser if necessary).
    It might be worth asking who your main dealer use as their body shop.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thank guys,

Yeah, fortunately we have CCTV at work, at another driver in the car park told us about it. I can see on the CCTV that the driver gave my car a very cursory look from about 3 meters away - the cynic in me thinks he might have driven off otherwise.

I'll check with BMW first and see what they say!

Cheers

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post

(the person with the damaged car would still have to inform their insurance company of the accident wouldn't they?)
    Correct

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyhands View Post
    Thank guys,

Yeah, fortunately we have CCTV at work, at another driver in the car park told us about it. I can see on the CCTV that the driver gave my car a very cursory look from about 3 meters away - the cynic in me thinks he might have driven off otherwise.

I'll check with BMW first and see what they say!

Cheers
    Ouch. if he's that type of guy then definitely as others have said, go to his insurer. I wouldn't be tempted at all to engage with him directly to see if he'll pay for the entire new bumper himself as experience tells me people will say "let's avoid insurance and I'll pay you directly" then as soon as the bill comes to more than 100 quid they'll mess you about.

Blog Entries
    I'd go through the insurance to get it sorted properly. Why should you put up with anything less than back to new standard? And as others have said, people who offer to pay for it often end up questioning the cost. Damage like that could easily end up costing thousands to repair, not hundreds.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 2nd June 2023 at 11:21.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.