closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Longines military?? Opinion required please

Hybrid View

There are two things I find unconvincing about the dial print here.
    One is the serifing. Specifically, how inconsistent it is. Look at all the 2s, 4s, 1s . There are plenty of them. The location, size and direction of the serifs on these numerals are very inconsistent over the dial. The 2s on 22 for instance. The top end is not flat, and it has a large internal serif. Neither are seen on any other 2s. the 1s are the same, with one sided serifs, both sided, large and small.
    And I didn't think COSD dials had any numeric serifs at all?

The other is the patchiness of the minute track. The line thickness is not very consistent (inside end of 8, 9, 12, 13, 31 and 32). It looks like it has been generated from a photo, with a scan's inherent lack of precision, rather than from an original design.

I also find the crown looks like a later replacement in a different material, more silver.

Apart from that, the Dennison case looks lovely, and that gilt movement sublime. I have no doubt those two were meant for each other, it is the dial that doesn't match.

Thanks. Aware both dial & hands are not original; they have been discussed on MWR where shortcomings are documented. Extract from archives requested last week from Longines & await same to possibly establish movement & maybe case credentials ref shipping date & to whom shipped - likely Baume . An interesting “learning exercise” & much learnt. Depending on Longines advice, may try & source original or MOD dial & correct hands - or Tuna parts
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"