closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Returns via UPS to Amazon - your advice please

Returns via UPS to Amazon - your advice please

Early last week I decided to return the Apple Watch Series 8 which I had purchased from Amazon approx 10 days earlier.
    Amazon excepted the return and warned me that the whole process, including examining the watch could take 2 weeks, before any refund could be made.

Due to value of the item (£429.00) it could only be collected from my home address by a UPS Courier.
    Using RMSD or one of their drop off points was not an option.
    After a slight delay, when UPS hadn't informed me that they were collecting it, the package was picked up the following day, as we were both working a safe place was agreed for it to be collected and the relevant paperwork left.

This was on the 10th July with a 48 hr delivery schedule, I checked the tracking number on the 13th and it showed that it was one way and had reached Northampton.

And that - according to both the tracking number and one of their advisors it still remained.

I have checked the tracking number daily and it remained the same, until 2 days ago when a yellow triangle appeared with the word DELAY and written at the top was: We’re sorry for the inconvenience. If you are the sender, please check with the receiver to confirm delivery. Otherwise, you may start a claim to provide a resolution.

Alarmed by this I contacted Amazon and spoke with a lovely lady, who advised me that it could take 2 weeks and was probably at their FULFILMENT CENTRE. Sure enough there is one of these centres based at Daventry.

I then spoke with UPS Customer Service, who was unable to add any reassurance and so set me a link to start the process of making a claim.
    having created a UPS account, and putting in my account details.
    I then attempted to fill in the online claim form, all was going well until it came to which account I would like any refund paid into.
    And though I added both a MasterCard and a bank account details. Each time - I have attempted it at least 6-7 times, I get the same information that my account details are incorrect and so I am unable to continue any further.

And that is were I currently at.

There is no option to speak directly with anyone from both UPS or Amazon in the UK, I am at a lost of what else I can do.

I apologise for the long winded post, so have reached out to the members here to see anybody has undergone a similar issue or can advise me on how I should now progress?
    Or do I literally just wait and all of a sudden the was package will arrive safely at its destination somewhere in Buckinghamshire.

Thank you for taking the time to read and any advice offered.

Tony

Why can't you speak to the lovely lady again?

Surely amazon are the UPS customer, not you, so it should be amazon making the claim? As said, speak to the lovely lady again

Blog Entries

Red face

Exact same issue here in Portugal- wanted to return an expensive item (350€ approx) to Amazon - sent by DHL (land) which I paid for to their centre in Slovakia. After leaving here on 6 July Tracking shows it’s reached Germany after 14 July no further update and counting. Will contact Amazon also. It’s a worry.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Was it sold by Amazon or sold via Amazon by another company using Amazon as the sales platform?

If Amazon paid for the UPS courier then it's up to them to claim it and sort i.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

One thing to remember, your return almost certainly won't be headed back from whence it came. There are third party operations who deal with returns for large retailers on an outsourced basis. It's known in the business as "reverse logistics". It can take a while for the item to navigate its way through the third party handling process before triggering a refund with the original seller. I went through this recently with Nokia (or rather HMD Global trading as). Same drill, UPS pickup, took a fortnight to get my money back. Not saying you've been caught up in the same carry on, but it's possible.

I agree with the comments above, if Amazon instructed UPS and you have a receipt for the handover, ultimately it's their problem.

You have no contractual link to UPS, so you can’t make a claim. Your contract is with Amazon. I have returned many expensive items, including Apple watches, to Amazon with UPS uplift over the years, never any issue. Although I always make sure I’m home for uplift. I’d wait 2 weeks until you start chasing, this is after all the timescale given by Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    You have no contractual link to UPS, so you can’t make a claim. Your contract is with Amazon. I have returned many expensive items, including Apple watches, to Amazon with UPS uplift over the years, never any issue. Although I always make sure I’m home for uplift. I’d wait 2 weeks until you start chasing, this is after all the timescale given by Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Uplift, have you made that up or it’s a thing?

Thanks to you all for your sound and similar advice.

What have I learnt, having just spoken with both UPS (again) and Amazon

1) UPS call centre is located in the Philippines.
    2) After asking several times, I finally managed to speak to the Duty Manager - also in the Philippines. He has assured me that he will raise a lost parcel investigation, which can take between 1-10 working days. Once that has been conducted, either the parcel, if found will be despatched immediately to Amazon, or if lost a refund issued. Happy to see what happens.
    3) The account details that I was entering were my own and as most of you correctly stated, it wasn't recognised as it had to be Amazons account details.
    4) Contacted Amazon - based in Eire and spoke to another helpful Customer Service Advisor, as I wanted to keep them in the loop.
    They assured me, that as it was Amazon who had requested the collection via UPS, the responsibility rests with them.
    5) And even if the item is in fact lost and they don't receive it back, that after the required 14 days they will issue me with a refund. And if the refund is not made by the 26th, then I am to call them and they will manually issue the refund.

So, thank you for all your advice, I have learnt a lot :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Uplift, have you made that up or it’s a thing?
    Well challenged, thanks - I had in my head that uplift = collection in this sense, but that looks to be mince. I meant "collection".

P.S. It appears that "uplift" might actually pass for "collection" in Scottish English...
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 20th July 2023 at 16:49.

Master
    I’ve had similar when returning things like headphones etc. The package seems to sit somewhere for ages and then suddenly moves and the refund is issued.
    With a monitor I had to return, it still hadn’t turned up in the 2 weeks so I contacted Amazon and they issued a refund as they could see I had shipped it back using an approved method.
    Am sure you’ll get your refund in when the 2 weeks is up.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Well challenged, thanks - I had in my head that uplift = collection in this sense, but that looks to be mince. I meant "collection".

P.S. It appears that "uplift" might actually pass for "collection" in Scottish English...
    Thought it might be an Americanism that should be stamped out. (Or you've been browsing bras...)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Thought it might be an Americanism that should be stamped out. (Or you've been browsing bras...)
    Fully "support you" on the first point. On the second, always my go-to section in catalogues as a nipper.

You're creating work for yourself. If Amazon arranged the courier, leave it with them. They won't do anything during their 2-week period that you've been told about.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    You're creating work for yourself. If Amazon arranged the courier, leave it with them. They won't do anything during their 2-week period that you've been told about.
    Something that I have learnt in the past few days.
    Though by nature I am a worrier.
    That is why I created the thread, because I knew that there would be members who fully understood this type of transaction better than I.
    Never gave it a thought, that as Amazon had arranged the collection it then became their responsibly for it to be returned safely.
    Just thought it was mind.
    Lesson well learnt :-)

Happy that the thread has been uplifting for you.

(Where did I put that coat?)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    This. Not your mess to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Happy that the thread has been uplifting for you.
    (Where did I put that coat?)
    I see what you did there :-)

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    This. Not your mess to clean up.
    True, but if you are not in the know................:-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I’ve had similar when returning things like headphones etc. The package seems to sit somewhere for ages and then suddenly moves and the refund is issued.
    With a monitor I had to return, it still hadn’t turned up in the 2 weeks so I contacted Amazon and they issued a refund as they could see I had shipped it back using an approved method.
    Am sure you’ll get your refund in when the 2 weeks is up.
    Same with my item. Chatted to Amazon online a few times. Even though I had to arrange my own return by DHL at my expense - they returned the postage in full and after the return period expired and the package still showed stuck in progress - I received the full amount back to my account.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Journeyman
    A couple of years ago now, an Amazon return of mine languished in the Hermes system for about 10 days before final delivery - couriers apparently had to wait until they had a van load of returns to deliver to Amazon, whereas RM did not...

UPDATE

UPS started an investigation to locate it yesterday.
    Was asked via email for the watches serial number to assist in locating it, but I only had the model number.

This morning when I opened my emails, I had one from Amazon, stating that they had received the Apple Watch and had issued a full refund.
    Happy days :-)

In the meantime, according to the UPS Tracking information, they are still investigating the matter.
    No details that it had been delivered!

Glad it is sorted. Amazon it is best to wait a couple of weeks.

Once a return has been made, I am worried until I receive my refund. A couple of years ago I received my Tern bike via Cycle to Work scheme but the bike was not for me. A man in a rusty white van turned up. There was no hiding that it was a bike being collected and I took a few photos of the bike being loaded (almost thrown), the van and registration, just in case it was ‘uplifted’ to the wrong destination.

It was a worrying time waiting to receive confirmation that the bike was back and all was well.