closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How a 9K watch of mine vanished.

Journeyman
    I'd consider a visit to the local depot just to see if you can get a nice person to help. They might not release it right away, but being able to locate it is half the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by LPC6 View Post
    I'd consider a visit to the local depot just to see if you can get a nice person to help. They might not release it right away, but being able to locate it is half the battle.
    Definitely this. My better half has gone through all couriers for her work and settled on DPD being the best out of a generally crap bunch. The staff at the local depot are always willing to help out, and have done so more than a few times.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Sorry to sound naive as I don’t think I’ve ever had a DHL parcel collected, but are the couriers not in DHL uniforms?
    Bizarrely, no. It's often the case, in my area at least, that drivers are subcontracted through a third party. We've had DHL collections at work by people in casual clothing and in rusty hire vans. Usually we have a regular driver but when theirs stand ins, it can be unsettling. Without fail we check the tracking on an evening to make sure that the parcels have been scanned in at the local depot. This applies across the board with every courier we use, not just DHL.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Two issues seem pertinent -

1) Possibly letting the depot manager know that there a £500 reward for the finder?
    that's the last thing I would do. Immediately lets the depot know that the item is valuable and usually more likely to go missing.

Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    My better half has gone through all couriers for her work and settled on DPD being the best out of a generally crap bunch. The staff at the local depot are always willing to help out, and have done so more than a few times.
    With couriers, in my experience there's no such thing as a good company, only good workers. In our area, FedEx/TNT are in many ways diabolical, DPD are generally decent, the DHL drivers are good but the local depot is abysmal, Parcel Force is generally good and UPS is very good. None of those that I've mentioned are in any way helpful if anything goes wrong. We've had UPS deliver a parcel to the wrong address and claim they didn't, only for us to find it at the wrong address after the receiver denied ever seeing it. Fedex/TNT deliver parcels that were battered beyond belief. DHL losing parcels at depots that were scanned in, never scanned out but apparently no longer at the depot and DPD having backlogs with parcels stacked in the depot yet the receiving customer not allowed to collect due to "Covid policies" still being in place - three months ago.

If dpd accept that they have it and their scanner wouldnt accept it then surely a quick call to the police telling them they are refusing to return your property. Good luck with it .

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    If dpd accept that they have it and their scanner wouldnt accept it then surely a quick call to the police telling them they are refusing to return your property. Good luck with it .
    999: "And did they take it from you by force or steal it when you weren't looking?"

OP: "No I gave it to them by accident. Whoopsie."

999: *hangs up*

Sorry to hear of the loss.

I would visit your local office, speak to someone who may be able to help locate it and mention there is a decent reward if they do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    The watch was going to Subdial who arranged the collection with dhl, fully insured. Not their problem though.
    Contact Subdial - if they arranged the collection with DHL they will have insured the package - let Subdial claim on insurance, just be totally honest with what happened. Subdial have always been a great firm and I would hope advise a resolution.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    DHL have never had the package so how could you make a claim against them.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Contact Subdial - if they arranged the collection with DHL they will have insured the package - let Subdial claim on insurance, just be totally honest with what happened. Subdial have always been a great firm and I would hope advise a resolution.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    DHL have never had the package so how could you make a claim against them.
    Yeah, that’s not going to be solution in this case. Not sure what might be, save a claim on the OP’s contents insurance. Even that feel's unlikely given that he handed the package to the DPD driver.

Master
    Thanks for all the thoughts chaps! Imo I’m f****d and mentally have written it off.
    The chap who arranged collection of the cd player advised me yesterday that in further contact with DPD they had closed the case as the item had been delivered!
    On pointing out that the item they shouldn’t have taken was still missing they’d reopen the case and send the photo of it to the local depot - an action they’d said they’d done previously.
    I’ll try my legal line on the house insurance next to see what options exist. Maybe the ‘money ‘ section of the Times if they take it on. Bad dream….

It’s always a possibility it could turn up at some point at the address you labelled it to though that’s probably not a good result either if it’s not tracked as you would only know if the buyer told you

I had a parcel which was labelled for my address but got delivered to a distribution centre in another town, weeks went by and the parcel company said it’s unlikely to be found and I thought I would never see it then one Saturday local Royal Mail handed me the parcel , I’m guessing someone at the distribution centre handed it to Royal Mail and fair play for Royal Mail to giving me it as it wasn’t nothing to do with them and was a completely different delivery company
    My parcel was for £400 and that felt shit so can’t imagine what you are going through

Thanks for all the thoughts chaps! Imo I’m f****d and mentally have written it off.
    The chap who arranged collection of the cd player advised me yesterday that in further contact with DPD they had closed the case as the item had been delivered!
    On pointing out that the item they shouldn’t have taken was still missing they’d reopen the case and send the photo of it to the local depot - an action they’d said they’d done previously.
    I’ll try my legal line on the house insurance next to see what options exist. Maybe the ‘money ‘ section of the Times if they take it on. Bad dream….
    What a bloody nightmare. Really feel for you.

Master
    Could you not contact the DPD depot and ask the manager to interview the courier? If by taking the parcel that was unable to be scanned that is tantamount to theft, surely.

Master
    It could still arrive - when I was with RM we’d surcharge items that were posted with other courier firms

sad situation

Having had time to think over i wonder if its worth you contacting your solicitor and discussing a claim under law of 'conversion' ?

"Conversion"
    is an unlawful act in English law whereby:

a person without authority
    does any act,
    which interferes with the title of goods owned by another person.
    The aggrieved person doesn't have to own the goods.

For example, when a person takes the property of another person, and deals the goods as their own, a claim for conversion may arise where the goods are:

not returned on demand
    damaged
    used for the purposes of the wrongdoer
    diminished in value, or
    sold.
    It's said the goods are "converted" for the purposes of the wrongdoer.

Conversion only applies to physical property.

A letter to a director at DPD? This requires somebody with common sense to look at it. Failing that, a lawyer is in order.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Definitely don't give up yet. You should be straight onto the DPD depot. Turn up there and cause a nuisance. If you have any images / CCTV take that with you.
    If you remember what the courier looked like, etc. then take all that info with you.
    Ask neighbours for CCTV to see if anyone got the reg no.
    Why not give it a little bit of a battle, given the value of the item!

Definitely keep pushing DPD, go as high up the chain as you can, and turning up at the depot may be an option (some have public collection counters).

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Could you not contact the DPD depot and ask the manager to interview the courier? If by taking the parcel that was unable to be scanned that is tantamount to theft, surely.
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    sad situation

Having had time to think over i wonder if its worth you contacting your solicitor and discussing a claim under law of 'conversion' ?

"Conversion"
    is an unlawful act in English law whereby:

a person without authority
    does any act,
    which interferes with the title of goods owned by another person.

The aggrieved person doesn't have to own the goods.

For example, when a person takes the property of another person, and deals the goods as their own, a claim for conversion may arise where the goods are:

not returned on demand
    damaged
    used for the purposes of the wrongdoer
    diminished in value, or
    sold.
    It's said the goods are "converted" for the purposes of the wrongdoer.

Conversion only applies to physical property.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Definitely don't give up yet. You should be straight onto the DPD depot. Turn up there and cause a nuisance. If you have any images / CCTV take that with you.
    If you remember what the courier looked like, etc. then take all that info with you.
    Ask neighbours for CCTV to see if anyone got the reg no.

Why not give it a little bit of a battle, given the value of the item!
    Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but these suggestions seem to imply criminal wrongdoing on the couriers part. I see no evidence for this.

They're a lowly paid employee who collects parcels. They turned up and were offered a parcel. The parcel went in the back of the van and probably never got looked at again by the courier. While of course there's hypotheticals, there's no evidence here to suggest wrongdoing by the person who collected the parcel IMO.

If it's ended up orphaned at the back of a van or sorting cage then it's only a matter of time before someone checks the contents out.

What follows next will be a question of integrity on the part of the handler.

I suspect you will not see this watch again unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but these suggestions seem to imply criminal wrongdoing on the couriers part. I see no evidence for this.
    No obvious wrongdoing yet, I agree. The key mistake is the OP giving the watch parcel to the wrong courier - the courier should have returned it immediately when scanning failed, but there could be innocent reasons for not doing so. In an ideal world, the parcel will find its way back to the OP once the courier realises the mistake - but I don't have high hopes (especially once someone realises the contents), which is where the wrongdoing kicks in.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 24th July 2023 at 14:25. Reason: Can't spell

Book another pick up by DPD and see if the same guy turns up.

Then offer him out.

I would have thought that any item transiting through a distribution centre with an unrecognisable barcode would immediately be isolated and investigated... Isn't that one of the advantages of barcodes?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I would have thought that any item transiting through a distribution centre with an unrecognisable barcode would immediately be isolated and investigated... Isn't that one of the advantages of barcodes?
    There are also on line global trackers, just bung a parcel number in and it will give you the details. I’m sure the guys at the depot would use a similar tool if the parcel was being investigated. They may well have done this and the parcel is on its way back to correct courier. Glass half full

Glass half empty: the guy who collected it is now wearing it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to read this; hope it gets sorted.

One thing I always do now when sending anything of high value is to put an AirTag in in a SAE for the recipient to return. That way I know where the item is ... I also put them in any luggage I may check in when flying ...

Journeyman
    Hopefully it does turn up at the destination. Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Sorry to read this; hope it gets sorted.

One thing I always do now when sending anything of high value is to put an AirTag in in a SAE for the recipient to return. That way I know where the item is ... I also put them in any luggage I may check in when flying ...

If you check out YouTube - you can see how to disable the ‘beep’ from it, so if you can secrete it carefully in luggage - it will become more difficult for a thief to find, to destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    It could still arrive - when I was with RM we’d surcharge items that were posted with other courier firms
    That would be an amazing ending. OP - get in touch with the addressee to see if they have received it yet. I can see myself making a similar mistake to be honest - though with a £9,000 watch - yikes!

Master
    Not sure if already mentioned but you need to contact the police as a crime has potentially taken place. Crime number for your insurance if it goes down that road.

They took the wrong parcel and have a duty of care.

Gutted for you!!

https://support.parcelhero.com/hc/en...What-can-I-do-

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    If you check out YouTube - you can see how to disable the ‘beep’ from it, so if you can secrete it carefully in luggage - it will become more difficult for a thief to find, to destroy it.
    Yeah. Seen that. In my experience the anti stalking feature isn’t that effective anyway. Which is useful.

Craftsman
    What a horrible situation to be in.

I hope it all works out, please keep us posted.

And thanks to Montello for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    One thing I always do now when sending anything of high value is to put an AirTag in in a SAE for the recipient to return.
    I'd never heard of AirTag - What a great idea.

Master
    DPD have a policy on undeliverable items and lost items, IMHO the OPs best option remains encouraging and incentivising the local depot manager and staff to look for the package, perhaps by means of a white lie that it contains grans ashes etc.

IMHO talk of intentional criminality by DPD's courier is wide of the mark, also the duty of care from a courier is to use a 'a reasonable degree of care and skill' in providing the service. As there's no dispute the OP handed DPD the package meant for DHL, have DPD fallen short of that benchmark?
    Last edited by J J Carter; 25th July 2023 at 19:24.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yeah, that’s not going to be solution in this case. Not sure what might be, save a claim on the OP’s contents insurance. Even that feel's unlikely given that he handed the package to the DPD driver.
    It really does depend on ther breadth of the wording in the policy tbh. If it states “All risks of physical loss or damage how so ever arising…”

That and a couple of tweaks by a good broker, which THM are, and it could get paid out.

What a terrible situation.

Regarding the scanning of the package, I don't know if a DPD scanner can succesfully read a DHL barcode, but when I was sending packagages with a third party express courrier, the waybil I would receive contained the same barcode yet the delivery abroad was done by DHL or DPD, I imagine depending on the contract the express courrier had with either company for delivery.

They might have added their own barcode once handed to them, but still, I wouldn't be surpriesed for the barcodes to work to some extent.

Hopeful you get the package back, I would simply go at the depot and see if it is still there, drivers have so hectic schedule I won't be surpriesed he took the package, scanned it and dropped it at his depot and the package simply stayed there.

Craftsman
    Sorry to hear this OP.

Like many others have said, I would go to the depo, if that is where the picked up parcels go for onward distribution.

I appreciate they might not have a customer service point, but I would try and find someone to help. I would imagine where it’s not been recognised by the system, it’s sitting in a pile of similar parcels waiting for a manager to decide what to do with them.

There will always be a chance that someone has recognised the parcel should not have been picked up and taken it for a walk, but I doubt it will be the driver as he knows there is digital proof he picked it up.

I’ve personally found contacting DPD a nightmare but good luck and I hope it turns up.

Master
    Many thanks for all the encouragement folks. I haven’t given up so watch this space!

Master
    Blog Entries
    (the driver had photo’s both packages in my doorway)

I dont get why you dont use this, surely this proves it to the manager that they have your watch.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    (the driver had photo’s both packages in my doorway)

I dont get why you dont use this, surely this proves it to the manager that they have your watch.
    Though if they then lose it they won't be liable for the 9k.

Master
    A shot of the parcels in your door do not prove that the driver left with them, he could have taken the pic before scanning, and then rejecting the incorrect parcel, when I worked auto parts we used various couriers dependent on destination or supplier, drivers could could tell if parcels were for them by the label style although we used a lot of company supplied labels. Why he would uplift two packages when his instructions would be for one, I couldn’t get drivers to take extra packages if not on their list, Hollywood style “if it’s not on the list, it’s not getting in” , this could be a long tale before being resolved.
    A visit to the depot should be high on the list, one local courier could/would not guarantee early delivery of parts so we just went daily to the depot to collect, always someone there to supervise.

Master
    Hey guys. Brace yourselves! I’ve got it back!
    Due entirely to a member of this esteemed forum who has contacts in DPD who between them found the package for Yours Truly and it was returned today. No thanks at all to customer service who if computer says no, couldn’t light a fire in a match factory. Both the “account holder” and myself were given the runaround by them. My last conversation with them was along the lines of - the photo the driver took of both parcels isn’t proof he took them both. What proof have you got? I admit my reply might have lacked decorum.
    It came from Hub 4 in Hinckley so visits to my local hub would have been fruitless.
    Had it not been for this member I wouldn’t have seen it again imo.

The evidence

Hey guys. Brace yourselves! I’ve got it back!
    Due entirely to a member of this esteemed forum who has contacts in DPD who between them found the package for Yours Truly and it was returned today. No thanks at all to customer service who if computer says no, couldn’t light a fire in a match factory. Both the “account holder” and myself were given the runaround by them. My last conversation with them was along the lines of - the photo the driver took of both parcels isn’t proof he took them both. What proof have you got? I admit my reply might have lacked decorum.
    It came from Hub 4 in Hinckley so visits to my local hub would have been fruitless.
    Had it not been for this member I wouldn’t have seen it again imo.

The evidence

Wonderful news.
    If I was you, I would just keep it. It's such a great watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s great news.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely brilliant result, I am very pleased for you.

Well done to the person that helped you as well.

Its a lesson to us all to be more careful.

Superb. Sounds like you owe him not just a pint, but a full weekend bender with coke and strippers.

I bet relief doesn't even come close to describing how you feel

Oh boy… I love a happy ending. Amazing that a fellow forum member was able and happy to step in to help. What a forum!

Superb news, I think you were very lucky to get it back and big praise for the guy on here who helped you out.

Master
    Great news, happy endings do happen. Which, by coincidence, is something you should arrange for the member who helped you........

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

That’s fantastic news I’ve been following this thread with dread on your behalf, this must feel like a lottery win! Thank goodness for the TZ member.

Great news you've got it back. Massive pat on the back and (hopefully) a nice bottle of something to the forum member who helped.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk