closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bee keeping

Craftsman

Bee keeping

I am thinking to get a beehive for the garden next spring but I have no idea what I need and how to start. Anyone on here with any knowledge on recreational bee keeping? Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Paging Martyn :-)

I halfheartedly looked into it last year but decided its something I'm going to have a go at when I've got a bit more spare time. Friend of ours did it for a couple of years but found it too much.
    Good starting point is here https://www.bbka.org.uk/, also worth trying to hook up with any local beekeeping groups.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    OP. I can answer but busy today. Will write more tomorrow. First thing is find and join your local bee keepers association. Put your post code in here:

https://www.bbka.org.uk/find-beekeeping-near-you

I would get yourself on a winter learning course. If you go to your local group they will let you handle bees and teach you before you dive in and buy some. A hive with bees costs upward of £300 btw. It can be a very rewarding hobby - but can give you nightmares worrying if you’ve done the right thing! Always a learning experience as each year is different.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 28th July 2023 at 10:53.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I think bee keepers do a course to get started, it can be quite dangerous. The hive can swarm and end up on a tree next door with kids in their garden and you need to know exactly what to do in these situations so some training is a very good plan.

I have also been chased by honey bees near their hives and they literally chased me half a mile lol

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    OP. I can answer but busy today. Will write more tomorrow. First thing is find and join your local bee keepers association. Put your post code in here:

https://www.bbka.org.uk/find-beekeeping-near-you

I would get yourself on a winter learning course. If you go to your local group they will let you handle bees and teach you before you dive in and buy some. A hive with bees costs upward of £300 btw. It can be a very rewarding hobby - but can give you nightmares worrying if you’ve done the right thing! Always a learning experience as each year is different.
    Thanks, I will have a look at some courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Paging Martyn :-)
    First thing I thought too!