closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Using home address as official company address pros and cons?

Master

Using home address as official company address pros and cons?

Hello

I'm the MD/owner of two companies , currently I use my accountant as the registered company address for both.

Any massive disadvantage to using my home address for both companies? I also rent out a couple of rooms in my home but that's nothing to do with either company so I doubt that will be affected?

Cheers

Companies House will show your home address to anyone that knowa the business name.

Master
    What’s the rationale for you to change from your accountants address to your home address? Personally I can’t think of a single advantage, unless your accountant isn’t particularly great with dealing with post(!). As already mentioned your registered address is available in full to anyone who’s minded to look it up on companies house (not that that’s necessarily a “bad” thing - my first company was registered to my home for a few years without issue).

I now use my accountants address and will stick with that

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Companies House will show your home address to anyone that knowa the business name.
    I'm fine with that

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    What’s the rationale for you to change from your accountants address to your home address? Personally I can’t think of a single advantage, unless your accountant isn’t particularly great with dealing with post(!). As already mentioned your registered address is available in full to anyone who’s minded to look it up on companies house (not that that’s necessarily a “bad” thing - my first company was registered to my home for a few years without issue).

I now use my accountants address and will stick with that
    Yes my accountant is on borrowed time , previous address services have been unreliable or slow in forwarding mail (still better than my accountant though).

I have zero issues with my home address being public.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Yes my accountant is on borrowed time , previous address services have been unreliable or slow in forwarding mail (still better than my accountant though).

I have zero issues with my home address being public.
    Good guess… yep well in that case I’d probably flip it to my home address. You can always change it to your future accountant if they’re more reliable if you wish. Good luck!

Ps I had a crappy accountant once and getting shot of them was one of my better moves.

Master
    Good guess… yep well in that case I’d probably flip it to my home address. You can always change it to your future accountant if they’re more reliable if you wish. Good luck!

Ps I had a crappy accountant once and getting shot of them was one of my better moves.
    what with smart bank accounts Xero and online tax and vat reporting to hmrc these days I’m pretty sure I can do the day to day myself and get someone in to check the annual corporate tax filings . I did an online basic accountancy course for small businesses /freelancers over 2 weekends . Found I knew about 95% of it already .

had two accountants … both were useless , not cheap either .

Master
    what with smart bank accounts Xero and online tax and vat reporting to hmrc these days I’m pretty sure I can do the day to day myself and get someone in to check the annual corporate tax filings . I did an online basic accountancy course for small businesses /freelancers over 2 weekends . Found I knew about 95% of it already .

had two accountants … both were useless , not cheap either .
    I must admit I’m in a similar position - it’s not rocket science for a simple business really. BUT I’ve found my accountant to be both excellent and a source of sensible advice - I’m happy to keep paying.

Good luck!

Master
    I must admit I’m in a similar position - it’s not rocket science for a simple business really. BUT I’ve found my accountant to be both excellent and a source of sensible advice - I’m happy to keep paying.

Good luck!
    I kept mine because he always said HMRC will believe them rather than me. Always thought they were worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    As Donald Rumsfeld once said "there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know"! There's a reason it takes years to become a qualified accountant not 2 weekends!

You might like to check any insurance implications.
    Your home insurance may increase if it’s also a company address.
    Some mortgage providers may also ask questions (if you still have a mortgage that is).

Have you considered creditors or dissatisfied customers knocking on the door, obviously I don’t know what your business is

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Have you considered creditors or dissatisfied customers knocking on the door, obviously I don’t know what your business is
    This. Maybe not your debt either but the chancers who register for utilities in your company name. Or register cars in your company name and run up fines. Ultimately, the creditor ends up at your door. Plus, if a CCJ was awarded, the creditor applies to the court to move the CCJ to the registered address when they get no joy. You get no notice of a bailiff arriving.

It seems there are zero checks on some very obvious frauds. Unwinding it all is a massive PITA.

Master
    I closed my company down about 5 years ago, but had my home address as the registered office. Being a consultancy (business training, and business consultancy), the only assets were a desk a chair and a desktop computer, and because of the work I tended to invoice in arrears anyway. So no issues with creditors knocking. At that time my address as a director was shown at Companies House anyway, so no issues there either. The only, incredibly minor, downside was the letters offering business loans and finance that came through.

Did my own VAT returns, and I used to use a local chartered accountant to submit my accounts for the reasons stated above, cost of £300/400 a year for him to act as a postbox.

Master
    Unless your businesses are small and fairly straightforward I'd suggest getting a better accountant, there's plenty out there, as they'll generally save you what you pay them in the long run and take away the hassle.

Craftsman
    The other thing you should consider is the cost of accounting software to run your business from. HMRC are pushing digital filing hard so having the software is becoming nigh on essential. If you've got an accountant, often they provide the software and if you don't, you would have to buy it.

Xero subscriptions are about £28/ month and some chartered accountants will do small business packages of £50-65/month including Xero. It's something to think about when you make your decision.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    I closed my company down about 5 years ago, but had my home address as the registered office. Being a consultancy (business training, and business consultancy), the only assets were a desk a chair and a desktop computer, and because of the work I tended to invoice in arrears anyway. So no issues with creditors knocking. At that time my address as a director was shown at Companies House anyway, so no issues there either. The only, incredibly minor, downside was the letters offering business loans and finance that came through.

Did my own VAT returns, and I used to use a local chartered accountant to submit my accounts for the reasons stated above, cost of £300/400 a year for him to act as a postbox.
    I’m almost exactly the same situation .

I had to force them to redo the last year’s accounts as the accountant managed to forget to offset an additional £20k tax liability against depreciation. I’m pretty sure they made me personally pay tax on a shares sale ladt year that shouldn’t have attracted it .

They are slow to respond and his solutions and advice have been frankly rubbish , he once advised me to speak to a cryptocurrency VAT expert regarding whether crypto mining was VAT exclusive ; I already knew it was .

The consultant themselves was unsure so I produced papers from HMRC and a private consultancy stating that was the case . The consultant was still insure and thought it was best to cough up the £1500 to them just to be sure . I then revealled that the white paper I referred to was written by their own company less than two months ago. Needless to say I didn’t have a second meeting . This was someone described as an expert on crypto currency and VAT who clearly knew nothing about either but wanted £1500 to tell me something I already knew.

My accountant gets about £600 a month for one company , plus another £300 a month for another and up until recently was getting another £600 for another company and £400 for my personal accounting and my partner’s. And whenever I ask them a question its like talking to a brick wall.

So I’m more than confident I can handle the VAT and tax return.

I don’t appear to have any worries regarding the company address being my own. Similarly I invoice in arrears and the companies all have zero debt and are unlikely to incurr any going forwards .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    The other thing you should consider is the cost of accounting software to run your business from. HMRC are pushing digital filing hard so having the software is becoming nigh on essential. If you've got an accountant, often they provide the software and if you don't, you would have to buy it.

Xero subscriptions are about £28/ month and some chartered accountants will do small business packages of £50-65/month including Xero. It's something to think about when you make your decision.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk
    I already have two xero licences one for each company , £60 a month for the licenses . And my accountant is useless at maintaining it . I constantly have to update the feed between the company account and Xero and despite asking for advice regarding xero from the accountant ( something they said they would provide) I’ve had to sort it myself . Agai another reason they are getting the heave ho.

I can’t read what the OP posts on this forum, and neither know nor care whether he can read what I post. While I’m not sure why a business expert of his calibre should even ask the forum for advice, I do rather think that publishing his home address on Companies House records is an excellent idea.

To everyone else- I don’t recommend this. It costs from a few tens of pounds per annum to purchase a registered address service and there’s a wide choice of “brass plate” providers. Of course disclose your trading/home address to customers and suppliers, but there’s no good reason on earth to publish it to the world.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I can’t read what the OP posts on this forum, and neither know nor care whether he can read what I post. While I’m not sure why a business expert of his calibre should even ask the forum for advice, I do rather think that publishing his home address on Companies House records is an excellent idea.

To everyone else- I don’t recommend this. It costs from a few tens of pounds per annum to purchase a registered address service and there’s a wide choice of “brass plate” providers. Of course disclose your trading/home address to customers and suppliers, but there’s no good reason on earth to publish it to the world.
    The whole point of putting someone on a block list is so you don’t have to interact with them. Replying to a thread they have created is probabky the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen anyone do on a forum.

So you are either a masochist or stupid or both.

I wouldn’t quite go so far as to call you out for harrassment as I doubt you could successfully harass anyone but you do look weird and pretty pathetic . Better you go off and play doctors and nurses with Reggie or your pet goat and stop trying to annoy me.

Master
    Spoke to my new accountant ; they say to ignore the scaremongering on the net about using my personal address for the registered company office. Its by far the most sensible option.