closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC: 3 and a G (almost)

SOTC: 3 and a G (almost)

This is a bit long. It's not for those who have better things to do than read about a middle aged man's watches. Also, as always, my pictures are terrible.

I think I first heard of ‘Three and a G’ as a collection concept about 2 years ago. Without meaning any offence to anyone, I’ve occasionally found this hobby to be a little vulgar in its excesses. Fundamentally, a group of people spending vast amounts of money on huge collections of things which serve very little purpose in the real world, doesn’t sit right with me. And yet… here I am.

I’ve spent the last two years trying to get down to three watches and a G shock, in theory it should be (much) more than anyone needs and there’s a considered neatness to it which I welcome. Unimaginatively, I decided all I needed was:

1. A smart three-hander for wearing with a suit / something smart on occasion

2. A diver, because it’s fun to have a waterproof watch which can take a knock

3. A chronograph, because I actually do find them useful and, importantly, interactive and fun to use whenever it takes my fancy.

(and before anyone goes on about it, I don’t fancy a GMT, they serve no purpose to me and I find the extra hand jarring).

So here they are:

1. Omega Aqua Terra 231.10.39.21.01.001

This was my mini-grail when I started out and I think it’s all the watch anyone needs. It’s versatile, has as much water resistance as I’ll ever challenge it to, it’s smart, visually interesting without being too blingy and it’s got a cool movement with a jumping hour hand and a co-axial escapement; and it’s a great size for me at 38.5mm. I bought it after passing some professional exams which were over 15 years in the making. It’s the only watch I’ve ever broken my ‘one week’s wages’ rule for (another measure of control for me) and it was absolutely worth it.

This is the ‘Skyfall’ generation, which to me is where the AT peaked. It’s also the slightly rarer black dial (lots of greys around) which, whilst less striking than the blue, is a bit smarter and a little more versatile as a result, which is what I want out of it.

Downsides; well it’s a bit thick and it’s not METAS certified like the new ones. Also, because it’s so precious to me, I tend to baby it, which is a shame but hopefully, time and scratches will ease my worries!

2. Seiko SPB207J1 Iriomote Green Special Edition (MM200R)

I love the design of the MM300 but I hate its dimensions. I’ll put my hands up and admit I’ve never tried one on as they’re not readily available but I sort of know in my heart of hearts that it would end up rolling around, on my (just under) 7inch wrist like an awkward stone on a string. I know what people say, and if someone wanted to lend me one to try (!) I might change my mind but I’m not willing to pay retail for one to return and I don’t really want to get into committing that much on a used one I then have to think about moving on. Fortunately, the MM200R fits me very well and has many of the same design cues. I tried the SPB185 and SPB187 but I didn’t like the iridescent blue or the metal bezel insert. Fortunately I love the green dial on this.

Dislikes; well, it still rolls around on my wrist a bit because of the cutaway on the underside of the case. That red-tipped, gold-coloured seconds hand brings far too much colour to an otherwise perfectly-judged green dial. Also the dial itself has a slight sunburst to it in very bright light, which looks glossy and cheap. Plus bezel alignment, spongy bezel action, unsigned crown, usual Seiko stuff. But…that case!!!

3. Tag Heuer Carrera CV2113 (Calibre 17)

I love the Carrera case. It’s bold and angular and purposeful. Unfortunately, the vintage ones are too small, too delicate and too expensive. I spent a long time considering one of the manual wind reissues from the early 2000s but it was just a little too small for my taste when I tried it on. Equally, the modern ones were a bit too TAG and not enough Heuer for me. This one hit the perfect balance of vintage aesthetic, affordability and size.

Downsides; not many. The Calibre 17 is an ETA 2894-2, which some people have reported are a pig to service, but I’ve heard plenty of the opposite opinions too. I’ve heard that the Daytona rings upset purists, though I’m not a purist so I’m not upset. The main downside is that what I really want is the Calibre 18, Telemeter ‘champagne panda’ version. The trouble is that’s twice the price of this one, with a Sellita version of the same movement, more or less the same case and a different dial. I just can’t justify the added cost. Looked at the other way, these are an absolute bargain compared to all the Carreras with the calibre 02 in them.

And the G…

4. G-Shock Baby-G BGD5000u-2 (JDM import)

It’s a G-shock square, only smaller. It has the same improvements to the module as the larger u-series (with the date in the right order). It has tough solar, multiband 6, 200m water resistance, and it’s small, which appeals to me. It’s not pink or white (which would be fine) which is unusual for a Baby-G and that helps me to wear it more often as it’s less shouty as a result.

Downsides; the display is dim. Dimmer than other negative display squares I have owned and this means I often have to press the backlight button to get a read on the time, which is a little annoying. Also, occasionally it feels a tad too small, but you can’t have everything.

So what’s left? If you’re still with me here, you deserve a medal. Well, I’ve managed to restrict it to just one extra:

Bonus: Nomos Club Campus 36 Absolute Grey

It’s fun, it’s light, it’s small, subtle and colourful. The luminous orange ‘pops’ against the dull grey dial. The upside-down California layout is playfully stupid. It’s not too expensive, it has an inhouse movement, it’s supremely comfortable. I just like it. This is my second Nomos Club and I don’t want to get rid of it.

Downsides: it’s everything I’m looking to avoid. It’s unnecessary, it doesn’t fill a hole in the collection.

Fundamentally, I’ve learnt that if I had found a perfectly balanced three, it would be boring. I want to have something new and fun occasionally. Something which, when the weather gets colder, I’ll stop wearing, and then think about selling to fund something else, and then when it gets warmer, I’ll do the same again. I’m not saying the Nomos is that watch, maybe the Seiko will go, or the TAG, but if the collection is too tight then it’s hard for it to change and evolve (for me).

Finally, what’s next? I’ve got my eye on a Black Bay 58 925, and a Formex Essence Leggera, and an IWC Mk XVI, maybe a white-dial speedy reduced and of course, that Carrera Telemeter… They’re all too expensive though. Maybe I’ll sell two to fund one and I’ll finally reach three and a G. I hope not.

I'm at 2 and a g-ish

Explorer 2
    Speedy

Protrek

Third one for me will be a diver of some sort. Leaning towards a black bay now they have put it on a diet, but it would be a Seiko if they got rid of the x logo. Think the speedy is dressy enough for me.

After that I'd be happy. A pilot style watch would be nice and a proper dress watch. And the Casio is getting on now so if it went I'd get a Garmin.

Great idea, collection & write up.

I’m currently looking to do the same & would like to settle in 3 & a beater.

List at the moment is:

Diver - BB58 - current daily wearer. Dimensions are great, versatile for pretty much most of my tasks & also holds some sentimental value as bought when my daughter was born. (OG variant).

Chrono - Tag Heuer McQueen Monaco, likewise find a chronograph useful, wanted something blue & the Monaco has always taken my fancy. Prior to having this, I had the new sapphire Speedy, oddly felt too big & didn’t feel is RRP, actually do miss that watch & find myself maybe coming back to it. In between the Monaco & Speedy I also had the Carrera Panda WoS Ltd Ed. Great watch but felt too modern Tag & the heart wanted the Monaco.

Smart - ideally the new Tudor BB36 in light champagne next year. Jubilee bracelet dresses it up slightly.

Beater - vintage Seiko Arnie, was my dads and bought when I was born & now mine.

Your AT & Carrera has giving me food for thought mind you.

Plus a holiday watch - maybe Doxa for a bit of colour or the green Seamaster which I cannot get out of my head currently.

Apologies for the hijacking of the thread also.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by McBeardy; 31st July 2023 at 22:51.

I like your choices. A balanced set and all watches I think look great. I agree with the concept (well the number of watches, personally I'd pick the categories differently).

Turns out I happen to be at "3 and a G" myself currently, although not a finished package. Definitely buy into the ethos that a select few can be more enjoyable than a large collection, but that's of course a personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Great idea, collection & write up.

I’m currently looking to do the same & would like to settle in 3 & a beater.

List at the moment is:

Diver - BB58 - current daily wearer. Dimensions are great, versatile for pretty much most of my tasks & also holds some sentimental value as bought when my daughter was born. (OG variant).

Chrono - Tag Heuer McQueen Monaco, likewise find a chronograph useful, wanted something blue & the Monaco has always taken my fancy. Prior to having this, I had the new sapphire Speedy, oddly felt too big & didn’t feel is RRP, actually do miss that watch & find myself maybe coming back to it. In between the Monaco & Speedy I also had the Carrera Panda WoS Ltd Ed. Great watch but felt too modern Tag & the heart wanted the Monaco.

Smart - ideally the new Tudor BB36 in light champagne next year. Jubilee bracelet dresses it up slightly.

Beater - vintage Seiko Arnie, was my dads and bought when I was born & now mine.

Your AT & Carrera has giving me food for thought mind you.

Plus a holiday watch - maybe Doxa for a bit of colour or the green Seamaster which I cannot get out of my head currently.

Apologies for the hijacking of the thread also.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    If it were me using the list you provided;

+ Keep the BB58. Weekends sorted.
    - Sell the Tag.
    - Forget the BB36 you've got your Tudor.
    - Forget the Doxa.
    + Take the money saved on BB36/Doxa/Tag and put it towards a 36mm DJ. Weekdays sorted.
    + Keep the Seiko Arnie, gives you a grab-and-go when you need to dash, and sentimental of course.
    + Add random G-Shock for holiday / rough duty. If you want a splash of colour for hols, maybe something like this: https://g-shock.co.uk/ga-b2100c-9aer

3 and a G - ta da!

(Of course what sounds good to me may just be a bunch of awful ideas for you!)

Master
    Nice to see some different choices. I really like the balance of the three, and the Nomos is also interesting. That Seiko isn’t something I’ve come across before and looks lovely. I’ve got a big soft spot for ATs, and that’s the nicest looking Carrera I’ve seen.

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    If it were me using the list you provided;

+ Keep the BB58. Weekends sorted.
    - Sell the Tag.
    - Forget the BB36 you've got your Tudor.
    - Forget the Doxa.
    + Take the money saved on BB36/Doxa/Tag and put it towards a 36mm DJ. Weekdays sorted.
    + Keep the Seiko Arnie, gives you a grab-and-go when you need to dash, and sentimental of course.
    + Add random G-Shock for holiday / rough duty. If you want a splash of colour for hols, maybe something like this: https://g-shock.co.uk/ga-b2100c-9aer

3 and a G - ta da!

(Of course what sounds good to me may just be a bunch of awful ideas for you!)
    Thanks for the reply, I do have a G already, which I wear for DIY & Cycling, although this did get busted from my recent accident.

Never really been a fan of the DJ, possibly an OP, but for me the BB36 gives me more of what I want, it's the potentially next watch to fill the void of the Monaco/ Speedy/ Carrera, I cannot decide on.

Thanks for the comments. As it turns out, I’ve now got something in mind. Just doing some wishful maths on it!