closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Servicing Question

Master

Omega Servicing Question

Hi all,

I recently took an Omega 2531.80 in trade from a friend of my Father in Law's and at the time he mentioned he'd bought it nearly new and put it in his wardrobe for many years.

It is in fantastic condition and he wasn't kidding, it still has the red dot on the case back!

I will probably get this serviced however I was wondering, are there any collectors out there who would put it away and leave it be, red dot intact?

Compulsory pic:-

Master
    Are you planning on wearing it? If so, I'd certainly recommend getting it serviced. It looks to me like there has been some moisture ingression as the lume on the minute hand looks a strange colour.

As far as I know, the red dot on the case back add very little value (if any at all really).

Blog Entries
    I’d get it serviced if I was going to wear it. If not - just stick it back in the cupboard for another 10 years. I would guess Omega would replace the dial on service to get it to look like new. I wouldn’t be too concerned as it’s (sadly) not the same cache as a double-red etc.

you may like this article: https://www.fratellowatches.com/the-...-300m-2531-80/
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 2nd August 2023 at 19:16.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    I, too, would get it serviced.

Master
    I wouldn’t avoid having it serviced just to retain the red dot. A cocktail stick and Airfix paint will add it to any watch and for this reason I wouldn’t ever place any significance or value on the dot of paint. If it has never been opened the most important thing would be to avoid getting any tool marks on the caseback.
    As has already been said, the lume on the minute hand has degraded and it just might suggest moisture ingress. Is there also a spot of corrosion on the tail of the secs hand? Personally, if it was my watch, I would initially send it to James Hyman to get the hands sorted and relumed to match the dial, then get it serviced.
    It’s certainly a lovely example of an early Bond auto and, IMO, this is the most desirable version - in preference to the later reiteration with the applied indices. Getting it serviced will make it more desirable and wearable. I have one in a similar ‘minty’ condition and it gets worn occasionally but carefully. Enjoy it, it’s a classic.

Master
    Buy a 'Weishi Timegrapher 1000'. (£125-ish online.) Wind the watch & test it. How To Use a Timegrapher (bobswatches.com)

If its performance is acceptable, wear it. If not, have it serviced.

(Note: dress the left-hand clamp of the Timegrapher with Sellotape to stop it marking the watch.)

Grand Master
    OP sent me a PM regarding this watch whilst I was on holiday, I've agreed to service it. Hadn't seen this thread until now, wasn`t aware of the back story!

It'll be interesting to see what it's like when opened up, I don`t like the look of that degraded lume on the minute hand.

I enjoy taking stuff apart that's never had attention, always interesting to see how the lubrication has stood up.