closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,500 of 2665

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Caputo 00 and the exact (!) amount of yeast, using my 0.01g drug dealing yeast measuring scales. Dough was nice consistency at the end.
    I did have the Sage base temperature at the lowest setting, which means it took about 2.5mins to cook - could that be a factor do you think?
    Yeah could be that, just put it on the default wood fire setting and it should blast away and get that crispy yet light finish. SHould cook in 2 mins flat, more than 10 seconds extra and it should char.

The other thing is did you do the prove in the fridge or at room temp? Maybe dough wasn't at room temperature which could affect the cook

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Yeah could be that, just put it on the default wood fire setting and it should blast away and get that crispy yet light finish. SHould cook in 2 mins flat, more than 10 seconds extra and it should char.

The other thing is did you do the prove in the fridge or at room temp? Maybe dough wasn't at room temperature which could affect the cook
    Yep room temp throughout. I actually put the oven on the highest temp on the left dial. And I think I'l use it on the middle setting for the base in future.

Master
    A friend cooked multiple pizzas at the weekend on his igneous wood fired. Cannot work out if it was his laissez-faire approach to the process that made it look remarkably relaxing & easy or of it was the oven.

That said, I tend to serve my pizzas hot vs tepid. So perhaps that was why it felt relaxed. Equally I’ve never had anyone make me a pizza before, so much more relaxing than doing them all myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anybody used their pizza oven to make naan breads? I’m thinking of doing a curry fake-away this weekend and one thing i can’t do is naan bread.

There’s an ooni recipe but it’s sourdough; there’s a Gozney recipe that I’ll follow unless there are other good suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Goodo CM

The nan ......... it was amazing, bloody surprising.

6 + 2 RT fermentation.

The recipe is two posts down.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    The recipe is two posts down.
    Awesome, thank you

Blog Entries
    I had forgotten these, good recall Raffe.

Al's kitchen is doing a chilly chicken garlic masala tonight which I was thinking of knocking up on Sunday. Good excuse to rustle these bad boys up.

Pitch

PS ..... Looking back on this thread hell we have come a long way in 5 years.

HAGWA

They turned out pretty awesome!

They were hard to get spot on; easy to over or under cook but tasted great either way.

Thanks both for the original recipe and for pointing me in the right direction.

I had to make some changes (golden caster sugar rather than raw cane sugar, Greek yogurt and no nigella seeds), but overall I followed the recipe quite closely.

I did add a slather of garlic butter once cooked, which has never hurt anything! Served with chicken thighs marinated overnight and then grilled in the Ooni in an Aldi butter chicken sauce and an aubergine side. Yum!

That looks lovely.

Wanted to try the naan ever since Pitch posted his pictures. About time I give it a go.

Master
    That looks lovely.

Wanted to try the naan ever since Pitch posted his pictures. About time I give it a go.
    I struggle mentally with the timings of speed of BIR style curry cooking, with being at the same tending to a naan in a bloody hot oven.

Maybe curry on the egg in a cast iron; mumbling anyway as used the last of my curry base last week & need to make another batch.

Still not cured my new stone.....hangs head in shame

Master
    Good naan recipe must give it a go.
    Assume it’s better to stay away from the pizza oven and stick to a pan?
    Would love to diversify the pizza oven usage somehow.

That looks lovely.

I can definitely recommend; well worth it. Pretty straightforward too. One thing I didn't mention is that I didn't add any extra flour as Pitch needed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I struggle mentally with the timings of speed of BIR style curry cooking, with being at the same tending to a naan in a bloody hot oven.

Maybe curry on the egg in a cast iron; mumbling anyway as used the last of my curry base last week & need to make another batch.

Still not cured my new stone.....hangs head in shame
    I cooked the chicken, kept warm in the oven that I had just turned off after making the aubergine side, then threw it in a saucepan of the sauce which I warmed separately. Maybe not the best curry in the world but it was easy and good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Good naan recipe must give it a go.
    Assume it’s better to stay away from the pizza oven and stick to a pan?
    Would love to diversify the pizza oven usage somehow.
    I had a frying pan in the Ooni. the dough is wet, floppy and sticky so not sure how well it would go in. I just had them pre-rolled on individual sheets of baking paper, then flipped one into my hand and plopped it into the frying pan. Once the oven had warmed up, I did everything on the lowest setting.

Funnily enough, since I got the Ooni I've only done pizza a couple of times, but I've used it quite a bit for skillets, roasting veg and now naan breads.

I too tried the naan recipe when first posted - worked a treat and highly recommended!

Gorgonzola, Mozzarella, Gran Pradano, garlic and salmon. Fantastic combination.

That looks fab. Obviously you put the salmon on after the bake, with the cheeses do you mix them all together first or just slice and layer on?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    That looks fab. Obviously you put the salmon on after the bake, with the cheeses do you mix them all together first or just slice and layer on?
    I chop the cheese and mix it. Some green pepper on before the bake.

Master
    Starting to really get the hang of this now.
    Hotter bottom plate definitely helped with the chewiness. Crispy and light this time. Best so far.

Yeah! Those looks great.

I know, but I had one leftover doughball from yesterday....

Tuna, onions and mozzarella.

Master

Just to get an idea on size of crust etc, think you mentioned 250g balls a few years ago. What is the inner diameter of the pizza with topping vs the crust?

Roughly, not expecting you to get a ruler out for your next cook!

My balls are bigger than yours, 280gr.

The pizza is almost 30cm, of which about 4 cm crust.

Master
    My balls are bigger than yours, 280gr.

The pizza is almost 30cm, of which about 4 cm crust.
    I should, now, be old enough not to snigger at the first sentence, but I am not.

Thanks - will give it a go, as struggled size vs a crust.

Posh stone still not prepped. I am in a food rut, could not be bothered to even cook for dinner tonight.

Need to break out of it, similar bbq lull too.

Feck, given cooking is my happy space, this isn't a happy place currently!

Blog Entries
    Some great pizzas and pic's agin all, fantastic efforts, loving the salmon Raffe.

Pitch

Pizza a quattro mani

Master
    Looks great!

First use of the new biscotti tonight.

Screwed up all 3 balls on launch.

Going back to bbq meats I think, Ooni for sale most likely.

Doing all the prep etc solo isn't much fun.

Just no longer find it enjoyable.

Looks great!

First use of the new biscotti tonight.

Screwed up all 3 balls on launch.

Going back to bbq meats I think, Ooni for sale most likely.

Doing all the prep etc solo isn't much fun.

Just no longer find it enjoyable.
    You buy this thing, leave it unused for months and when not succeeding on first try, want to get rid of it all?

Pizza-jimp.

Master
    You buy this thing, leave it unused for months and when not succeeding on first try, want to get rid of it all?

Pizza-jimp.
    Touché my friend.

Just so angry at myself!

Master
    I think we all went through it at the start mate. I can do it with my eyes closed now, but at the start I was ready to pull my hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I think we all went through it at the start mate. I can do it with my eyes closed now, but at the start I was ready to pull my hair out.
    Same here. Couple of full blown disasters during the first months.

It isn't difficult, but there are some techniques that you need to learn.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Touché my friend.

Just so angry at myself!
    It does wind you up when it goes wrong. Easiest way for me to launch is to have 2 peels. I stretch the dough and put the sauce on one (wooden one). Then I transfer it to the other that's dusted with semolina. Put toppings on and it slides off into the ooni easy. Works for me. Faster the better.

Master
    It may be a little non-purist, but the one thing that helped me most with stretching and getting it onto the peel was a silicon baking mat. A tiny bit of flour and semolina helps immeasurably with rotating and stretching, and the peel slides under the pizza so much more reliably.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    It does wind you up when it goes wrong. Easiest way for me to launch is to have 2 peels. I stretch the dough and put the sauce on one (wooden one). Then I transfer it to the other that's dusted with semolina. Put toppings on and it slides off into the ooni easy. Works for me. Faster the better.
    This is what I was doing.

Seemed each time the pizza just flew off the wooden peel, concertinaed onto the stone with toppings everywhere. The last one launched but was split when I went to turn it.

Dough seemed very soft, when I was stretching it felt it could break from its own weight, so perhaps over proven, which is ironic given my ambient temps were lower than I’d expected & put into the pizza app.

Try again, it's big fun once you got it under control.

Had a leftover ball, turned it into a nice calzone.

Master
    Try again, it's big fun once you got it under control.

Had a leftover ball, turned it into a nice calzone.

Yeah, I hear you. Didn’t feel I was away for long, but clearly became rubbish at launching etc.

New stone cleans up so much better than the standard ooni one, just as well really.

Was in a proper foul mood last night, up for selling the ooni, snapping the peel and shattering the stone. Livid isn’t even close lol.

Back on the bike Sunday, going for a lunch effort, so I can go get more food / bbq / eat out for supper depending how it goes.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is what I was doing.

Seemed each time the pizza just flew off the wooden peel, concertinaed onto the stone with toppings everywhere. The last one launched but was split when I went to turn it.

Dough seemed very soft, when I was stretching it felt it could break from its own weight, so perhaps over proven, which is ironic given my ambient temps were lower than I’d expected & put into the pizza app.

I don't launch with the wooden one I stretch and put sauce on it. Then I put it onto my metal peel. Sounds like when you launch you need to pull the peel back quick. It's a bit like the blanket and cutlery trick on a table. Just shake it a bit until the pizza touches the stone then pull back.

Master
    I don't launch with the wooden one I stretch and put sauce on it. Then I put it onto my metal peel. Sounds like when you launch you need to pull the peel back quick. It's a bit like the blanket and cutlery trick on a table. Just shake it a bit until the pizza touches the stone then pull back.
    I’ve launched for a few years without issue, appreciate the advice & tips though. It is clearly not like riding a bike, need to learn it again!

First cook with the new stone, but that was not the issue. After a few hours of baking the new stone in (wasting gas and not cooking) this was the ultimate insult to me..

Sunday, back on the bike, fingers crossed!

That's the spirit.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve launched for a few years without issue, appreciate the advice & tips though. It is clearly not like riding a bike, need to learn it again!

First cook with the new stone, but that was not the issue. After a few hours of baking the new stone in (wasting gas and not cooking) this was the ultimate insult to me..

Oh right. Good luck. Couple of hours burning the stone in!!!! No wonder you were peed off. I get twitchy leaving it on for 20mins to warm up.

Master

We have definitely all been there. Part of the fun.
    Best of luck for next attempt!

Master
    Oh right. Good luck. Couple of hours burning the stone in!!!! No wonder you were peed off. I get twitchy leaving it on for 20mins to warm up.
    Yeah it really feels like such a waste!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had some lovely pizzas tonight. 6 hour proof again. Even tried one with an egg on. How I launched that without it flying off is a miracle.

Had some lovely pizzas tonight. 6 hour proof again. Even tried one with an egg on. How I launched that without it flying off is a miracle.
    I launch the pizza first and then put the egg on top with a cooking spoon.

Master
    I launch the pizza first and then put the egg on top with a cooking spoon.
    Clever!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Aaah ok. Would be a lot easier. Best part about the egg is we now have an excuse to eat pizza for breakfast.

Aaah ok. Would be a lot easier. Best part about the egg is we now have an excuse to eat pizza for breakfast.
    Now that is what I call innovative thinking.

Not sure how you square that with your six hour proof, though?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ain't really bothered how long the proof is. As long as it stretches enough and tastes ok. It's more the convenience with a 6 hour if not prepared anything the day before.

Weird thing is for ages I've been after raffe type crusts but just getting flat doughy ones. Now I'm not trying all sorts to get that they are coming out thick and fluffy. Only thing I can think of is the more yeast that goes in a 6 hour proof. Or I am leaving the dough to mix in the mixer for longer.

Craftsman
    Do you all have gas ovens?

I have a pellet oni and it’s a total c@&$ to get right

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post

Mine is a gas Ooni & went this route seeing the pellet maintenance it seemed to require.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post

Gas. Ain't got time or patience to mess about with fire.

Master
    Electric. Sage Pizzaiolo.
    Has the distinct pro that it can be used indoors.