closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 22 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,100 of 5793

Thread: Premier League 2023-24

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    my brief thoughts on the new season basis transfer business done to date (could all change materially)

Man City - if they are up for it they win the league again, best team and squad in the league, Gundogan and Mahrez are losses but Gvardiol is a great signing and Kovacic a clever one. Only complacency would stop them
    Arsenal - Stronger than last year post transfer business, still not convinced on Arteta but they should be fighting for top 3
    Man United - As above really, Ten Haag also has a year under his belt, i expect them to improve to be honest and should fight it out for top 3
    Newcastle - Tonali is a good signing and maybe more to come, i dont see a top 4 finish again however especially with the CL to play in, howe could be gone before next summer
    Liverpool - i look forward in hope more than expectation, surgery on the squad has been more severe than expected, Klopp is a very good manager so that helps, but top 4 is as much as id hope for
    Spurs - as i said previously a lot depends on kane, if he stays they will be in the top 6 mix, if he leaves it might not go well, manager unproven also.
    Villa - Great manager putting together a decent side, top 6 contenders also.
    This

I think I said last season that howe would be lucky to last this season, nothing in the transfer window changes that

Bruno has already started talking about his future.

They will not be as lucky with injuries this year and 2 games a week will stretch them

Reasonable owners become unreasonable owners very quickly

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Chelsea?
    Jesus completely forgot about them, and to be honest i have no firm idea, they could be anything, they have tonnes of decent players and a new decent manager, so who knows, really should be challenging for top 4 with the squad they have.

Master
    Yeah agree Chelsea are essential a wildcard this year. Could finish 10th or win the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like West Ham are signing Dec's replacement for £35 million.

Edson Alvarez, 25 year old Ajax and Mexico midfielder.

Better late than never.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Chelsea's big signing Christopher Nkunku will be out until the new year after a knee injury picked up in the friendly against Dortmund

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Chelsea's big signing Christopher Nkunku will be out until the new year after a knee injury picked up in the friendly against Dortmund
    wow

ouch

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Spurs - as i said previously a lot depends on kane, if he stays they will be in the top 6 mix, if he leaves it might not go well, manager unproven also.
    I have a feeling in my waters that Postecoglou will not last long. He kind of proved himself at Celtic, but then I reckon even Phil Neville could succeed at Celtic.

They will be down to the bones then .....

Lukaku
    Jackson
    Broja

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I have a feeling in my waters that Postecoglou will not last long. He kind of proved himself at Celtic, but then I reckon even Phil Neville could succeed at Celtic.
    He's already proving himself (albeit not in competition) in that he has us playing our best football since the heights of the Poch era; the players love him too. He'll prove you wrong, i think.

I have a feeling you will be right. The SPL is a 2 horse race and Rangers are a basket case of a club at the moment.

He has an extensive CV: championship winner on three continents & managed the Socceroos. He's way more experienced than the usual European who's been assistant, assistant throw in coach at a La Liga team & then gets appointed to an EPL team in their thirties. I suppose it rather suits him to be underestimated.

Success at CFC isn't a given, BTW. Being second is absolute, abject failure: ask Neil Lennon, Tony Mowbray or John Barnes.

Incidentally, Postecoglou doesn't hang around: three or four years & then he moves on. He also doesn't suffer fools gladly, either in the boardroom or on the playing staff.
    Last edited by jwg663; 8th August 2023 at 19:18.
    ______

​Jim.

I reckon Lopetegui will be Spurs manager by Xmas

David Raya to Arsenal for £30m, deal agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post

He also doesn't suffer fools gladly, either in the boardroom or on the playing staff.
    Him Vs Levy is going to be interesting then.

Master
    Blog Entries
    But not Gary…..

I really don't get the point of this, Ramsdale does have his moments buts he's a solid keeper, 30mil for a back up is way too much money. Unless he plans to play him first choice but then we have another expensive keeper on the bench.

It is like Arteta felt we lost the league last year for a small squad and now he is just trying to pack out the squad with better quality players, which is nice but not at the huge sums of money he is spending. Turner was a decent enough back up.

If we don't win something this season Arteta needs to go, but the question is what? cant see us winning the PL, no way we are winning the CL, historically he gambles and plays weak teams in the FA and league cup. So cant see us winning anything, best chance maybe the FA cup, or if we drop out of the CL into the Europa and try win that.

Interesting friendly against Barcelona last night. We were well worth a 2-1 lead that lasted until the 80th minute, after which we let in thee quick goals resulting in a 4-2 loss.

However, we played almost an entire 2nd string side, about 8 of which had played no pre-season minutes prior to this game (consequently they lost their legs towards the end, particularly with Ange making no substitutions). Given that, a lot of positive takeaways, especially given how rubbish the more marginal members of our squad have looked over the Mourinho and Conte years.

Lo Celso did start, and continued to look superb as he has throughout pre-season. I can't see him going anywhere now (sorry, Villa fans), as he will clearly be a really strong alternative to Maddison when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I really don't get the point of this, Ramsdale does have his moments buts he's a solid keeper, 30mil for a back up is way too much money. Unless he plans to play him first choice but then we have another expensive keeper on the bench.

It is like Arteta felt we lost the league last year for a small squad and now he is just trying to pack out the squad with better quality players, which is nice but not at the huge sums of money he is spending. Turner was a decent enough back up.

If we don't win something this season Arteta needs to go, but the question is what? cant see us winning the PL, no way we are winning the CL, historically he gambles and plays weak teams in the FA and league cup. So cant see us winning anything, best chance maybe the FA cup, or if we drop out of the CL into the Europa and try win that.
    I read yesterday that Arteta tried and failed to sign Reya a couple of years back. Reya’s stats are impressive but I can’t see either him or Ramsdale being happy being 2nd choice keeper. Why would Reya come to Arsenal just to play 2nd string to Ramsdale when he can play every week for a very good Brentford team.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    I read yesterday that Arteta tried and failed to sign Reya a couple of years back. Reya’s stats are impressive but I can’t see either him or Ramsdale being happy being 2nd choice keeper. Why would Reya come to Arsenal just to play 2nd string to Ramsdale when he can play every week for a very good Brentford team.
    Probably the most unnecessary transfer this season, no one thinks this guy is needed at Arsenal, as much as I dislike Arteta’s antics he has a very good keeper in Ramsdale.

I’m also surprised no one has tried to buy that goal scorer Evan Ferguson from Brighton this year, I think this kid could be one a real gem in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post

Raya will be 1st choice. He has better distribution than Ramsdale.

Re trophies I agree it will be hard - ironically probably easier to win the CL than the PL! If you look at the CL then City are better equipped than us but squad quality wise we'd be on par with Real Madrid, Bayern etc so apart from inexperience at this level we'd have a shout. We shouldn't go into the CL with an inferiority complex - we've spent a ton of money and our squad is better than the vast majority of teams in it.

We do still need a top quality number 9 to really make a difference.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    I’m also surprised no one has tried to buy that goal scorer Evan Ferguson from Brighton this year, I think this kid could be one a real gem in the future.
    I've read a few clubs were interested but I think Brighton wanted a lot of money and with the other exits they've had/may still have I don't think it would be a popular sale.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    If that's true then playing hardball with spurs has backfired. I think they were offering more and Raya would have been first choice. Seems a strange move for Raya and Arsenal

Premier League 2023-24

Yeah that maybe the reason but I think it’ll be similar to Kane who teams could have got cheaper earlier in his career, I.e if they wait too long they’ll be paying serious money as I think he’s going to be a proven goal scorer for someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    If that's true then playing hardball with spurs has backfired. I think they were offering more and Raya would have been first choice. Seems a strange move for Raya and Arsenal

Agreed. Would have been a lower risk signing for us, too (albeit that Vicario may prove himself to be a first class keeper - he was certainly highly-rated in Italy).

Lo Celso did start, and continued to look superb as he has throughout pre-season. I can't see him going anywhere now (sorry, Villa fans)
    Who?
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Who?
    An alleged Emery target, and for good reason. They have history too, of course.

Master
    West Ham still chasing Maguire and McTominay for a combined 60m? (Why not throw in Fred to sweeten the deal?) If that goes through I’ll be betting on Moyes as first casualty of the season. He is on borrowed time either way.

Master
    Maguire to West Ham seem to be edging closer. Right move for all involved.

Man City in for Lucas Paqueta from West Ham

Ward-Prowse to West Ham fee agreed
    Last edited by ryanb741; 9th August 2023 at 10:36.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    West Ham still chasing Maguire and McTominay for a combined 60m? (Why not throw in Fred to sweeten the deal?) If that goes through I’ll be betting on Moyes as first casualty of the season. He is on borrowed time either way.
    If United offer £80 m , then surely West Ham would cave in and take the two donkeys

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    If United offer £80 m , then surely West Ham would cave in and take the two donkeys
    I’d have McTominay in the Everton team, but wouldn’t touch Maguire with a barge poll. Both are probably good enough for a struggling side (say 12th downwards), but I think their European nights are over.

An alleged Emery target, and for good reason. They have history too, of course.
    22 appearances last season, 2 goals. Potentially available + old manager now in England with money to spend = 'sources say...'. If there's one thing Villa probably don't need it's another midfielder but who knows, maybe Emery saw potential in him.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I’d have McTominay in the Everton team, but wouldn’t touch Maguire with a barge poll. Both are probably good enough for a struggling side (say 12th downwards), but I think their European nights are over.
    I think Maguire would be a good fit for Everton.

He’s a no nonsense centre half, he want to be making clearances and headers and that’s exactly what he’d be doing at Everton.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66437506

Hopefully this will age well.

Looks like Maguire and Ward Prowse for West Ham.

I actually think they'll both do well.

Hopefully Paqueta will stay.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I'll be following Luton Town this season.
    Why?
    My neighbour's grandson has just signed for them.

Premier League 2023-24

Who Barkley or Giles?

Who Barkley or Giles?

Ryan Giles.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Ryan Giles.
    He was excellent for us last season on loan at Boro.

He was excellent for us last season on loan at Boro.

11 assists from No. 3 
    His shirt is framed and hanging next door.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Maguire to West Ham seem to be edging closer. Right move for all involved.

Except West Ham.

Don’t want that wage stealer at my club but the deal is done……Moyes gone by Christmas?!

Master
    I really don’t understand the Kane situation.

If Spurs decide to retain him and turn down let’s say 75m. They are effectively paying him 1.5m extra ‘wages’ per week for the next 12 months before he goes for free. I know they’ve turned down more than that already but 75m makes the maths easier.

That’s financial suicide.

I have tried to think about why they would do that, possible reasons:

- They know he will sign a new contract between now and next summer. Unlikely.

- Levy will hold out until deadline day and then sell. Risky.

- They will try to sell in Jan instead and hope they get something out of him in the next few months. Pointless. He will sign a pre contract and go for free.

- He will fire them into the Champs League and hence worth sacrificing the transfer fee. He won’t.

Why are they playing such a level of hard ball with Munich as if they hold all the cards when it appears they hold none? Levy may be a lot of things but he isn’t foolish so what am I missing in my analysis? They are risking Munich and walking away at this point. According to the bookies he is now favourite to stay at Spurs.

I agree. Kane holds all the cards. Levy has corporate responsibilities and therefore surely can’t allow £75m to £95m to not hit the corporate accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I really don’t understand the Kane situation.

If Spurs decide to retain him and turn down let’s say 75m. They are effectively paying him 1.5m extra ‘wages’ per week for the next 12 months before he goes for free. I know they’ve turned down more than that already but 75m makes the maths easier.

That’s financial suicide.

I have tried to think about why they would do that, possible reasons:

- They know he will sign a new contract between now and next summer. Unlikely.

- Levy will hold out until deadline day and then sell. Risky.

- They will try to sell in Jan instead and hope they get something out of him in the next few months. Pointless. He will sign a pre contract and go for free.

- He will fire them into the Champs League and hence worth sacrificing the transfer fee. He won’t.

Why are they playing such a level of hard ball with Munich as if they hold all the cards when it appears they hold none? Levy may be a lot of things but he isn’t foolish so what am I missing in my analysis? They are risking Munich and walking away at this point. According to the bookies he is now favourite to stay at Spurs.

Spurs have agreed a fee for Kane, let’s see what’s next.

I think deep down Ange is glad he’s going so he can hopefully get some funds and a replacement and start moulding that team and style in his own way.

Thing is say they agree a fee of £80m or whatever with Bayern. Then all of a sudden Man Utd or Arsenal say 'OK great, here's £85m'. They'd need to take that offer and Kane would surely rather remain in the PL. So I can see why Levy was reluctant to agree a price as it means the vultures circle including teams he may not wish to sell Kane to but now the genie is out of the bottle, they'd have to accept the highest bid.

Blog Entries
    Thing is say they agree a fee of £80m or whatever with Bayern. Then all of a sudden Man Utd or Arsenal say 'OK great, here's £85m'. They'd need to take that offer and Kane would surely rather remain in the PL. So I can see why Levy was reluctant to agree a price as it means the vultures circle including teams he may not wish to sell Kane to but now the genie is out of the bottle, they'd have to accept the highest bid.
    Spurs will not let Kane go to a PL club and they can stall any transfer as Kane is under contract
    Reputed a €100m offer +add ons.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

No they wouldn't.