closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths were the only watches worn on the summit of Everest in '53. The proof.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Planet Ocean View Post
    What about West End Watch Co., from the photos it seems to suggest that Norgay wore one of those also.
    Apparently that's not a WEWCo - or at least, that's what Perezcope is saying.

I would really like to know what it is, as it appears to be one of the two watches that Norgay prized most highly, rather than the slew of watches that he was given as gifts / rewards after various expeditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Apparently that's not a WEWCo - or at least, that's what Perezcope is saying.

I would really like to know what it is, as it appears to be one of the two watches that Norgay prized most highly, rather than the slew of watches that he was given as gifts / rewards after various expeditions.
    Indeed. Perezcope kept shooting down suggestions but still hasn't revealed what it was. Very odd. The last update on the Instagram thread was "There is no point in me disclosing the type of watch before having absolutely certainty that it is indeed the watch in question. Be patient pls. As the Germans say: Gut Ding will Weile haben."

I do wonder if we'll ever hear. Perezcope was waiting for confirmation from Norgay's son, but I think the sons' silence has been bought and paid for.

As to the the watch: a lot of WW2 ATPs made their way over to India after the war so personally my guess would be one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Indeed. Perezcope kept shooting down suggestions but still hasn't revealed what it was. Very odd. The last update on the Instagram thread was "There is no point in me disclosing the type of watch before having absolutely certainty that it is indeed the watch in question. Be patient pls. As the Germans say: Gut Ding will Weile haben."

I do wonder if we'll ever hear. Perezcope was waiting for confirmation from Norgay's son, but I think the sons' silence has been bought and paid for.

As to the the watch: a lot of WW2 ATPs made their way over to India after the war so personally my guess would be one of those.
    Would be fascinating to attribute Tenzing's words to his watches. What was the "special" watch (see above) but more importantly, what watch did CG Bruce give him, and is it still around? That has some real provenance and (being pre-1939) might be something quite interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Would be fascinating to attribute Tenzing's words to his watches. What was the "special" watch (see above) but more importantly, what watch did CG Bruce give him, and is it still around? That has some real provenance and (being pre-1939) might be something quite interesting...
    I think Rolex has stuffed their mouths with gold. For the record, if they'd like me to stop posting on this subject I want a 1016. No need for box and papers but unpolished case and a recent service appreciated. :-)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I think Rolex has stuffed their mouths with gold. For the record, if they'd like me to stop posting on this subject I want a 1016. No need for box and papers but unpolished case and a recent service appreciated. :-)
    Either that or a 6098 would do nicely.

That said, I'm not sure how accurate a witness the children are after the claims about Queen Elizabeth directly asking dad to climb...

I'd say that the ATP watches are also a little on the small side - The very largest are 33mm and the smallest are 29mm. A Patek 565 gives you the right shape of case in the right size...

Just for the fun of the idea of another Omega on Everest in '53, what about the Omega Suveran:

or Perhaps a 6b/159

Or perhaps the most obvious Omega to be hiding in plain sight, the Omega '53' - it's not like they are even subtle about it:

d
    Or perhaps a Zenith Pilot (and yes, this predates the 6098 by quite a while and yet that dial does look familiar, to address an earlier question).

Last edited by M4tt; 19th August 2023 at 14:50.