closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bracelet replacement help/advice (1970's Tissot)

Master

Bracelet replacement help/advice (1970's Tissot)

I'm looking for some help in trying to source a bracelet,
    I'd like to replace the bracelet pictured with something very similar, not sure if it should be described as a mesh or bead of rice but it has a flat almost knurled finish to each segment.
    I've looked at watch obsession, watchgecko, eBay etc with no joy.
    Any ideas where to find one?
    It's on a late an early 1970's Tissot but I don't believe it's original to the watch

Cheers
    Ian
    Last edited by Tuna1138; 9th August 2023 at 21:17.

Master
    Any suggestions folks?
    I had a pm directing me to Aliexpress and there are certainly plenty of options but I still can't see one with the same pattern.
    The watch is one which I had restored for sentimental reasons but remains sat in my watch box unworn as the current bracelet has no adjustment left and is too big.
    I've tried on a leather but it doesn't work for me.

any help appreciated

I’m afraid not, when you first posted I spent a while trawling Google images but found nothing with the pattern on it.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I’m afraid not, when you first posted I spent a while trawling Google images but found nothing with the pattern on it.
    Thanks Jason I appreciate that.
    I was hoping to find a like for like but think I may have to delve a bit deeper and maybe look into what was the original fitted or just pop it on a regular bead of rice or Milanase
    cheers
    Ian

Grand Master
    I don’t believe the watch is late 70s, it’s a C case design and they were popular from approx 1967 to 1975, I own a couple of Omega C case Constellations so I’m familiar with the design.

If the bracelet currently fitted isn’t original to the watch, why try to find something similar? Simple answer is to put the watch on a nice padded strap and enjoy it !

I’m almost detain a bracelet option would be offered from new, with fitted end pieces, but the chances if finding the right one on useable condition is virtually nil. It will be possible to source a decent quality generic bracelet and possibly modify some end pieces to fit the case, I did this recently with an old Seiko, but it’s a lot of hassle and messing about. If you get the case reference and do a bitog Google searching you might find a picture that shows the original design, but sometimes different bracelets were offered in different parts of the world so it isn't straightforward. Easiest option is an oyster-style with generic end pieces modified to fit the case.

Leather strap is the easiest option, I’ll bet a pound to penny the lug width is 19mm!

Master
    Well, I have just taken the bracelet off to put on a black leather strap and on closer inspection the inner clasp is faintly marked Tissot 700 Stainless steel.
    A quick google and a couple of links show up to ebay and Chrono-shop, it looks like this could well be the original bracelet.
    Last edited by Tuna1138; 10th August 2023 at 00:00.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I don’t believe the watch is late 70s, it’s a C case design and they were popular from approx 1967 to 1975, I own a couple of Omega C case Constellations so I’m familiar with the design.

If the bracelet currently fitted isn’t original to the watch, why try to find something similar? Simple answer is to put the watch on a nice padded strap and enjoy it !

I’m almost detain a bracelet option would be offered from new, with fitted end pieces, but the chances if finding the right one on useable condition is virtually nil. It will be possible to source a decent quality generic bracelet and possibly modify some end pieces to fit the case, I did this recently with an old Seiko, but it’s a lot of hassle and messing about. If you get the case reference and do a bitog Google searching you might find a picture that shows the original design, but sometimes different bracelets were offered in different parts of the world so it isn't straightforward. Easiest option is an oyster-style with generic end pieces modified to fit the case.

Leather strap is the easiest option, I’ll bet a pound to penny the lug width is 19mm!
    You are correct Paul, Early 1970's my bad
    I guess you would know for sure, Tissot SEASTAR worthy of a restoration although the 18mm strap is a perfect fit thanks

Grand Master
    All becomes clear, I now recall working on the watch! I was wondering who’d done the work on it.

The similar Omega models have 19mm lug width, looks like this is 18 which makes life easier for sourcing straps and bracelets etc.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 10th August 2023 at 08:54.

Master
    Would a watch maker be able to shorten the existing bracelet perhaps?

Grand Master
    Best way forward to get the watch on a bracelet is to buy a decent quality generic bracelet with curved end pieces and have the end pieces modified to fit the case. It's a laborious task, end pieces don't easily lend themselves to being clamped up securely for filing and trimming but it is possible. Only drawback is the quality of some replacement bracelets, they do vary, but a replacement is often a better option than a tired original.

As I worked on the watch previously I`m happy to help if nothing else turns up. However, I would still opt for wearing on a nice padded leather strap!

I have a gold-capped C Cased Omega Constellation that came to me in a very sorry state for parts, I ended up restoring it for myself because the dial and hands were excellent but the gold-plated bracelet is beyond restoration, I`d prefer the watch on the correct bracelet but the original stuff available is expensive and not much better than mine, so I`ve opted for wearing the watch on a strap. Back in the day these C case watches were sold with or without the bracelet so they do look correct on a strap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Would a watch maker be able to shorten the existing bracelet perhaps?
    I did consider this but as there is no obvious way to adjust the size I imagine it would be quite labour intensive and potentially costly.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Best way forward to get the watch on a bracelet is to buy a decent quality generic bracelet with curved end pieces and have the end pieces modified to fit the case. It's a laborious task, end pieces don't easily lend themselves to being clamped up securely for filing and trimming but it is possible. Only drawback is the quality of some replacement bracelets, they do vary, but a replacement is often a better option than a tired original.

As I worked on the watch previously I`m happy to help if nothing else turns up. However, I would still opt for wearing on a nice padded leather strap!

I have a gold-capped C Cased Omega Constellation that came to me in a very sorry state for parts, I ended up restoring it for myself because the dial and hands were excellent but the gold-plated bracelet is beyond restoration, I`d prefer the watch on the correct bracelet but the original stuff available is expensive and not much better than mine, so I`ve opted for wearing the watch on a strap. Back in the day these C case watches were sold with or without the bracelet so they do look correct on a strap.
    Strap option is probably best in reality, I won't wear it very often so it makes sense.
    I saw the watch sitting in the box having not been worn since restoration which is a shame. I do like the style of the bracelet and it's how we remember the watch previously and to us 'original'

cheers all for your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    Well, I have just taken the bracelet off to put on a black leather strap and on closer inspection the inner clasp is faintly marked Tissot 700 Stainless steel.
    A quick google and a couple of links show up to ebay and Chrono-shop, it looks like this could well be the original bracelet.
    Like you said, Google throws up a few options. The one on Chrono-shop is apparently nos (and to me seems reasonably priced if that's the case). The problem will likely be that these bracelets probably can't be shortened unless you start cutting into them. The ones you'll find will most likely be the same length as the one you already have.
    That said, I'm a sucker for correct vintage bracelets and that one looks very nice. Maybe just wear it even if it's a bit more loose than you're used to?
    Last edited by 50kopek; 10th August 2023 at 12:49.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    Like you said, Google throws up a few options. The one on Chrono-shop is apparently nos (and to me seems reasonably priced if that's the case). The problem will likely be that these bracelets probably can't be shortened unless you start cutting into them. The ones you'll find will most likely be the same length as the one you already have.
    I had the same thought, would be pointless buying it to end up with 2 which were too long, although the bracelet I have has a short and a long side which differ by about 1cm, so I could possibly utilise the shorter sections of the two bracelets which would possibly work giving the adjustment available with the clasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    I had the same thought, would be pointless buying it to end up with 2 which were too long, although the bracelet I have has a short and a long side which differ by about 1cm, so I could possibly utilise the shorter sections of the two bracelets which would possibly work giving the adjustment available with the clasp.
    Possibly with a little improvisation. The two sides of a bracelet are usually attached to the clasp slightly differently (adjustable pushpin on one side, some sort of friction pin on the other) and have differently shaped ends on the clasp side. But with the right size pins it could work.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    Possibly with a little improvisation. The two sides of a bracelet are usually attached to the clasp slightly differently (adjustable pushpin on one side, some sort of friction pin on the other) and have differently shaped ends on the clasp side. But with the right size pins it could work.
    That's a good shout thanks, certainly something I had over looked/not considered

Master
    An update for anyone interested, after some pondering what to do, I decided to go for the NOS bracelet on Chrono-Stop and try to utilise the short end of 2 bracelets only to find it had sold and was no longer available, bugger.
    So, having been previously hung up on trying to keep 'original' I looked at alternative/cheap options and ended up with a £16 2 piece mesh from Amazon.
    I liked the fact it had a cross pattern rather than the usual linear design, It was highly polished and looked a bit too shiny on the watch so I decided to dull it down/brush it and I'm more than happy with the result.
    The little Seastar will definitely be getting some wrist time from now on

In my haste I forgot to take before pictures of the shiny bracelet

Last edited by Tuna1138; 21st August 2023 at 14:25.

Looks nice, well done.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Looks nice, well done.
    Thanks, I'm well chuffed with it
    had the watch on all day today which is a first, still tempted to dull/brush it a bit more but can't complain at all for the £16

Craftsman
    Very nice. Suits that watch perfectly in my opinion