timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 34 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,700 of 5801

Thread: Premier League 2023-24

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Heads will roll.

It’s the Saudi way.
    Apparently Howe's been invited to the Saudi Consulate.

2 absolute quality finishes from Nunez.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Too many posts to quote. Eddie has been unbelievable for us and I think he’s gotten two games wrong; Sheff Wed away in the cup and today. Wrong tactics, not assertive enough and wrong changes at the wrong times.

But he’s learning at this level so the right amount of slack must be given. He has enough credit in the bank.
    Completely agree

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Will it really?
    Indeed it will. In hindsight should have waited until it started before I posted they will be hanging back a bit now but it will soon come out.

Klippity Klopp, Livarpool, ref conspiracy theories, once met a scouser I didn’t like etc…..

It’s always fun to read

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Indeed it will. In hindsight should have waited until it started before I posted they will be hanging back a bit now but it will soon come out.

Klippity Klopp, Livarpool, ref conspiracy theories, once met a scouser I didn’t like etc…..

It’s always fun to read
    I’ll be surprised if you get the reaction you predict/want on here. Though this thread has certainly brought the worst out of members on occasion so who knows

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great three points today. Klopp has a great record Vs Howe. Still early days but it good to get some points.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    He has found his level, he isn't up to it, same as Man city Newcastle will continuously upgrade manager as they progress.

Unless there is something in the Saudi league feeder club rumour, if that's the case they need someone to grin and bear it.
    With respect that’s a daft comment.

He may well be replaced in the longer term but he’s comfortably good enough at this level.

Eddie didn’t have a great game today but then players didn’t do their job and could have easily and should have gone the other way.

Happy to listen to some objective comments about his coaching and tactical acumen over a sustained period that shows he’s not good enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    With respect that’s a daft comment.

He may well be replaced in the longer term but he’s comfortably good enough at this level.

Eddie didn’t have a great game today but then players didn’t do their job and could have easily and should have gone the other way.

Happy to listen to some objective comments about his coaching and tactical acumen over a sustained period that shows he’s not good enough

He's comfortably good enough to manage a CL club? What do you base that on?

Howe will unlikely be manager this time next year

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and this tickled me

You may be right but until we’ve even played a CL game then how do you start to make that judgement?

We’ve underperformed in last two game but that’s a different story to what unfolded today.

Master
    I don’t think you will find a person who thinks Howe won’t be sacked in he next 12 months but he’s done remarkably well since he’s taken over.

He’s done more than anyone expected last year which has probably hindered him in a way. He has to do better this year than last year which is arguably impossible so will ultimately be sacked at the end of the year.

Daft statement, I don't know anyone who thinks he will.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I don’t think you will find a person who thinks Howe won’t be sacked in he next 12 months

Agreed, aside from Mystic Meg and she did not even predict that she would snuff it 🤣

Master
    I'm with Ivan!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    You may be right but until we’ve even played a CL game then how do you start to make that judgement?

We’ve underperformed in last two game but that’s a different story to what unfolded today.

Same way you can say he's comfortably good enough I suppose

Just watched Match of the Day and fair play to Trent for admitting he could have got red on another day.

Newcastle will probably admit they over achieved by finishing in top four last season but to say they have to win something this season for Howe to keep his job is ludicrous. Arsenal and Liverpool have bought well, as have City (although lacking in creativity with Gundogan and Mahrez gone and De Bruyne out) and Chelsea have just bought almost a brand new squad. Add Spurs and United in the mix and nothing is guaranteed this season.

Newcastle's win against an out of sorts Villa missing their left starting side (Moreno, Ramsey, Buendia and then Mings - we finished the match with two CBs who'd played two PL matchs between them before then) was the easiest win they'll have all season, and a loss we won't repeat. Newcastle played well but they're still not as good as all the hype surrounding them.

Nice to see Villa score 12 and concede just one in the last seven days, even though Everton (4-0), Hibs (0-5) and Burnley (1-3) aren't the toughest of competition. I reckon by the end of the season there won't be many points between Brighton, Newcastle and Villa. Could be 4th/5th/6th, it could just as easily be 7th/8th/9th.
    "A man of little significance"

I'm with Ivan!

- - - Updated - - -

Same way you can say he's comfortably good enough I suppose
    I don't think the new owners would be doing anything other than judging Howe on results, and always will have been. The moment they think they need a stronger manager to continue to drive improvement/achieve the next step change he'll be gone without a second thought.

FWIW, I've always thought this season would be a sterner test for him, given what most people would consider his overachievement last season. Time will tell, though.

Interesting stat about Emery and his results. Since he took over from Gerrard in November, City (69, played one more match than Villa), Arsenal (60, +1), Liverpool (58, +2) and Manchester United (57, +1) have picked up more points than Villa on 53. Newcastle (50, same number of games), Brighton (50, +1) and Brentford (49) are close behind. I don't see Villa, Brighton and Newcastle being that different in terms of squads, what I think will make the difference is who they have on the bench and the experience of the manager. Brentford are doing an amazing job considering the amount of money floating around at the clubs they're competing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Interesting stat about Emery and his results. Since he took over from Gerrard in November, City (69, played one more match than Villa), Arsenal (60, +1), Liverpool (58, +2) and Manchester United (57, +1) have picked up more points than Villa on 53. Newcastle (50, same number of games), Brighton (50, +1) and Brentford (49) are close behind. I don't see Villa, Brighton and Newcastle being that different in terms of squads, what I think will make the difference is who they have on the bench and the experience of the manager. Brentford are doing an amazing job considering the amount of money floating around at the clubs they're competing with.
    Brentford and Brighton are in a unique position regarding their respective acquisition strategies, as both are on a similar trajectory with regard to their use of data (and the owners - who no longer speak - were in the past partners in the establishment of a data mining business which started the ball rolling). There was a fantastic article in The Athletic some time back but I can't find it now, despite searching on the website.)

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Brentford and Brighton are in a unique position regarding their respective acquisition strategies, as both are on a similar trajectory with regard to their use of data (and the owners - who no longer speak - were in the past partners in the establishment of a data mining business which started the ball rolling). There was a fantastic article in The Athletic some time back but I can't find it now, despite searching on the website.)
    I heard a story on the radio along the lines of how a company that studies football stats looked into who was the best player to replace Caicedo and it turned out it was a young player on loan in the UK from parent club... Brighton. It's just a shame their ground is dull and in the middle of nowhere.

Talking of which, my wife's side of the family had 12 or so season tickets at West Ham but only two renewed this season. From what I understand, they just don't like going there. Upton Park was fantastic, the stands were steep and right up to the pitch so it felt like you were towering over the players. The new place is vast and you're a long way from the pitch.

Master
    I’m happy to have a 50 fundraiser bet with anyone that Howe won’t be there for the start of next season.

Martin123 linked to it back on page 32.... post #1568

Tony Bloom's company is called Star Lizard and it's predominantly a sports betting syndicate. They have a series of very sophisticated algorithms which allow them to (very successfully) bet on Asian Handicap football markets (amongst other things). As it collects a ton of data on teams, players, coaches etc etc they also use that data to inform a lot of their recruitment decisions.

Master
    Newcastle are aiming to be considered a top European side ?

Ask yourself would any other a European top side Howe as their manager ?

We know the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Talking of which, my wife's side of the family had 12 or so season tickets at West Ham but only two renewed this season. From what I understand, they just don't like going there. Upton Park was fantastic, the stands were steep and right up to the pitch so it felt like you were towering over the players. The new place is vast and you're a long way from the pitch.

Not a popular viewpoint but there's a lot of rose-tinted glasses being worn about Upton Park... ok, it was a really tight ground, you could ruffle the hair of player taking a throw-in but it was small, pokey, a nightmare to get to and even worse to get home from. I saw some great matches there but plenty of dross as well. Not all the seats had a great view and the atmosphere was not always as great as people seem to think.

The London Stadium is (for me at least) so easy to get to and from, my season tickets are on the half way line about 4 rows back so a great view (although I do get wet if it rains). I take my kid now so all that matters. When we're playing well the atmosphere is fantastic when we're not, it can get very quiet.
    I'm sure that the club will continue to try and improve the experience but what they can do is limited by the ownership model. Given we have the second higher attendance in the league and fill over 99% of the seats there are plenty who are happy enough to keep going.

My prediction of the fat ginger one being one of the first PL managers to be sacked and Everton relegated is on track, 3 games in and no points and no goals scored. Their worst start to season ever - as in 140 years.

I bet everyone in the PL wishes they were playing Everton next.

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Not a popular viewpoint but there's a lot of rose-tinted glasses being worn about Upton Park... ok, it was a really tight ground, you could ruffle the hair of player taking a throw-in but it was small, pokey, a nightmare to get to and even worse to get home from. I saw some great matches there but plenty of dross as well. Not all the seats had a great view and the atmosphere was not always as great as people seem to think.

The London Stadium is (for me at least) so easy to get to and from, my season tickets are on the half way line about 4 rows back so a great view (although I do get wet if it rains). I take my kid now so all that matters. When we're playing well the atmosphere is fantastic when we're not, it can get very quiet.
    I'm sure that the club will continue to try and improve the experience but what they can do is limited by the ownership model. Given we have the second higher attendance in the league and fill over 99% of the seats there are plenty who are happy enough to keep going.
    West Ham do have the cheapest season tickets in the PL so I guess that helps. Only 41 seats on average empty per match? That means last season the in-laws were often responsible for 25% of the vacant seats in the whole stadium.

I don’t know what the home fan experience is like for West Ham, but it’s comfortably the worst away fan experience in the Premier League in my opinion, and I go to just about every away game.

That enforced route march around the ring road at the end of the game is bloody horrendous, as is the atmosphere in the away end, due to the fans being separated by what I assume is the stage area for gigs. About the only positive is that it’s quite easy to get served refreshments at half time.

Here's my take on the Newcastle situation. What can't be disputed, and nobody here is disputing, is how far we've come in a very short space of time. We didn't expect anything like this progress this quickly.

The owners appear to know what they're doing and are securing huge amounts of investment to grow the coffers and the brand worldwide. They've also made funds available to bring players in. I also think that when the really tough, ruthless decisions are required, they'll make them.

That leads me on to Eddie Howe. He's relatively young in manager terms and hasn't even managed at this end of the table or in the Champions League. So is he capable of doing that? We don't know do we. Nobody does. He might crash and burn or he could learn very quickly and be amazing. What I do believe though is the owners will make the right decisions at the right times and if that means a 'super-manager' becomes available next week and they see him as being the next step then they'll relieve Eddie of his duties. That ruthlessness is something we're going to have to get used to if we want to get to where the owners and us fans want us to be. Do I believe Eddie is the manager to take us to the top? No, I don't. But I believe he's the right man for right now.

Yesterday was a reality check though IMO. I thought his tactics, approach and use of subs was naïve and inexperienced at this level. But he'll learn from that. It's never a crime to make a mistake so long as you learn and don't repeat it. Yesterday simply wasn't good enough. It's years since I've been so p*ssed off about a game.

On to the squad. I like the players we've bought and also that they're young but that means they need to develop and grow into this level of the game and that will take a bit of time. But being critical, I think we need a better No 1 keeper, another top centre half, an upgrade on Miggy and we're desperate for a Number 10.

So no need to press the panic button. Just reset, learn, improve and go again.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Looks like it!

Top of the PL on goals scored.

Beat Brighton 3-1 and beat Chelsea by the same score last week.

New signings looking the business especially Ward Prowse and more to come.

Exciting times.
    Fair play to West Ham who were excellent on the counter attack. BHA really struggle against teams that set up with numbers behind the ball. My pre match fears were realised. Every attack they looked like they would score, it was just like Everton last year.
    Smug Eddie is bringing his green and white version of Bournemouth to us next week. So we had better wise up otherwise it will be more of the same.
    Well done West Ham, I’m actually pleased for Moyes as he had so much stick in the last few years.

'Steady' Eddie Howe's innate coaching conservatism did for NUFC yesterday.

It was as if he'd no idea what tactical or personnel changes to make after VvD's red-card.

LFC were there for the taking - anyone watching could see it. Anyone except Howe, that is; he appeared to have blinkers on.
    ______

​Jim.

Here's my take on the Newcastle situation. What can't be disputed, and nobody here is disputing, is how far we've come in a very short space of time. We didn't expect anything like this progress this quickly.

The owners appear to know what they're doing and are securing huge amounts of investment to grow the coffers and the brand worldwide. They've also made funds available to bring players in. I also think that when the really tough, ruthless decisions are required, they'll make them.

That leads me on to Eddie Howe. He's relatively young in manager terms and hasn't even managed at this end of the table or in the Champions League. So is he capable of doing that? We don't know do we. Nobody does. He might crash and burn or he could learn very quickly and be amazing. What I do believe though is the owners will make the right decisions at the right times and if that means a 'super-manager' becomes available next week and they see him as being the next step then they'll relieve Eddie of his duties. That ruthlessness is something we're going to have to get used to if we want to get to where the owners and us fans want us to be. Do I believe Eddie is the manager to take us to the top? No, I don't. But I believe he's the right man for right now.

Yesterday was a reality check though IMO. I thought his tactics, approach and use of subs was naïve and inexperienced at this level. But he'll learn from that. It's never a crime to make a mistake so long as you learn and don't repeat it. Yesterday simply wasn't good enough. It's years since I've been so p*ssed off about a game.

On to the squad. I like the players we've bought and also that they're young but that means they need to develop and grow into this level of the game and that will take a bit of time. But being critical, I think we need a better No 1 keeper, another top centre half, an upgrade on Miggy and we're desperate for a Number 10.

Oil backed plastic club with no history ever .

Master
    Given that Howe is the longest serving manager of any of the PIF teams (only he and Nuno survived the end of last season and Nuno had to win the league) he must know his days are numbered.

Whether he cares or not we may never know - I doubt we will hear him criticising the owners any time soon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    More specific?

Yep, that’s us.

Master
    Yep, that’s us.
    Got it - I thought for a second the Man Utd sale had finally gone through.

Yep, that’s us.
    No , that’s us , remember?
    Disappointed in your lot again mate . Hopefully you’ll turn it around soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, that’s us.

Me too Lee. I'm sure we'll be OK :)

Beto is joining Everton for £30m from Udinese to fill their striker vacancy.

I'm confident Dyche will be able to shape him into a £15m player.

Confused with Spurs' team selection tonight. No chance they are going down, no chance they are getting Top 4, they haven't won a trophy in ages, surely the Carabao is a great chance for them to break that duck and yet Postecoglou rests a load of players against Fulham?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Confused with Spurs' team selection tonight. No chance they are going down, no chance they are getting Top 4, they haven't won a trophy in ages, surely the Carabao is a great chance for them to break that duck and yet Postecoglou rests a load of players against Fulham?
    Exactly what we hoped wouldn’t happen.

Exactly what we hoped wouldn’t happen.
    Well what do I know eh?

1-1 Richarlison

Davinson Sanchez penalty taker... what could possibly go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Davinson Sanchez penalty taker... what could possibly go wrong
    FFS!!!

Master

What could & should have been a 2 or 3 nil win against a liverpool team on the ropes has turned into a damaging loss, youd hope he will learn from that.

Plus sides for you is that gordon looked a proper player and isak is class.

given your hatred for liverpool and klopp and your in laws that must really have stung

Beto is joining Everton for £30m from Udinese to fill their striker vacancy.

I'm confident Dyche will be able to shape him into a £15m player.
    He will get injured, end up playing about 3 games a season, score no goals, but the fat ginger one will mention him in every press conference as yet another salvation - sound familiar.

I still can't talk about it, watch anything about it or listen to radio pundits. This one really stung.

Given your hatred for liverpool and klopp and your in laws that must really have stung

Considering how much we’ve spent, I’d say this is a very average team.

Craftsman

Just as well you're not the Head Coach, you think you know better than Eddie Howe which is disrespectful given his man management skills, knowledge and experience. You have a very short memory just think of the improvement in players we already had and the quality that has been added. We lost a game against a top team and missed a number of opportunities to kill the game off before Liverpool took advantage, well done to them. Look forward to Brighton on saturday and move on from sunday.

I think I know better than Eddie Howe? What are you on about?

I've never disrespected Eddie Howe, quite the opposite in fact, I'm still 100% behind him. That doesn't mean he's immune to any sort of criticism though. His tactics and use of subs on Sunday were terrible. He didn't know how to manage the game and didn't have a couple of top, experienced players to do that for him on the pitch. Do you disagree?

What I said in this post is that I think (other opinions are freely available) the team in that image isn't amazing. I think it's fairly poor considering how much money we've spent. We've gone exclusively for youth and while youth is important, I think a couple of experienced players who know how to manage a game, mixed with youth, would have been a better strategy. Hence Sunday's performance.

EDIT: And I haven't forgotten how far we've come, far from it. Take the time to read my other posts about Newcastle before jumping to the conclusions you have.

Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    Just as well you're not the Head Coach, you think you know better than Eddie Howe which is disrespectful given his man management skills, knowledge and experience. You have a very short memory just think of the improvement in players we already had and the quality that has been added. We lost a game against a top team and missed a number of opportunities to kill the game off before Liverpool took advantage, well done to them. Look forward to Brighton on saturday and move on from sunday.

Isaak, Tonali, Guimaraes, Pope and Trippier are class. Gordon has potential. I don't know enough about Botman to comment. The rest of that team isn't Top 4 material IMHO but a lot depends on the system and how they adjust to it.

Botman is class. Pope, Burn, Joelinton and Barnes are squad players. How many of those four get into the Arsenal team? None.

Isaak, Tonali, Guimaraes, Pope and Trippier are class. Gordon has potential. I don't know enough about Botman to comment. The rest of that team isn't Top 4 material IMHO but a lot depends on the system and how they adjust to it.