closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Tesla Info Thread.

Tesla Info Thread.

You won’t get any deals on a new Tesla, you pay the asking price and that’s it.

If you don’t need an SUV, the current deal on the outgoing M3 ( due to be replaced/updated this year I believe) is a cracking deal. The new model may look slightly different but is unlikely to be a significant improvement.

If you don’t have to have new, there are some great second hand deals out there at the moment too.

The model Y is only available as a dual motor, 4wd variant.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 5th August 2023 at 09:33.

Some cracking lease deals on Teslas, maybe look at that option?

Nope

It's definitely available as rear wheel drive

Question was whether I'm likely to get a better deal through a lease company

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Nope

It's definitely available as rear wheel drive

Question was whether I'm likely to get a better deal through a lease company
    I stand corrected.

For Tesla it’s got to be cash and second hand surely.

The depreciation is brutal and the there are deals to be had.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    For Tesla it’s got to be cash and second hand surely.

The depreciation is brutal and the there are deals to be had.
    I would take the 0% on brand new if I was buying right now without a company scheme.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I would take the 0% on brand new if I was buying right now without a company scheme.
    Agreed I compared PCP on used with Cinch and new with Tesla

Cinch for 3 year old 40-60k miles circa 22k price with PCP being 415/430 per month with 2k deposit

New 40k price, 0% and £482 with same £2k deposit

£50-70/month more for brand new seems a no brainer to me

Master
    Can I ask? Following a Tesla today on the motorway in traffic and noticed the frequent use of a wee dab on the brakes, all I had to do was back off the throttle a bit, I am assuming the lack of engine braking is the cause for this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Can I ask? Following a Tesla today on the motorway in traffic and noticed the frequent use of a wee dab on the brakes, all I had to do was back off the throttle a bit, I am assuming the lack of engine braking is the cause for this ?
    My guess is engine braking (= regeneration) but lighting the brake lights to let you know it's slowing down (probably because the distance with the car in front was reducing)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Odd, for £70pm I would go for new too. In cash I would go second hand and save an easy £15k.

On finance I believe most companies lower the GMFV to ensure the payments are pretty much the same so might not be much one it. 0% is great if you’re keeping it though.

Master
    It may have been on self drive and so as mentioned it was maintaining distance, which means coming off the power.
    Or the driver lifted. When they lift or come off the power the brake lights show.

Blog Entries
    As mentioned if regen is on high brake lights will flash on because the braking is aggressive it is like hitting the pedal. If low the deceleration is just like an ICE.

It is only recently that I have twigged it’s the regen that is making some passengers nauseous.

Pitch

On my FB feed just now.

Master
    Latest Tesla app update allows Apple shortcuts app integration.
    Which is actually great as you can now say things like Hey Siri open Tesla charge port. Or open boot. Etc.

May prove handy at times.

Free supercharging today in Europe

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/tesla...730995713-t3ta

Over 400 miles travelled in mine today so ended up charging twice at Suoerchargers. I didn’t realise it was free until this evening but work pays for all of my charging anyhow.

Master
    Anybody used a referral link before?

Just trying to figure out how it works and what if any discount it gives you on a new car? Also trying to work out if it applies to cars which are new but have a 'price adjustment' i.e. discount?

Think we are going to go for a MY RWD. Gave it a drive yesterday back to back with a LR and it was actually very adequate and for the price, seems a decent buy.
    Other option was a 2 year old EQA - but that seems awful VFM vs. a new model Y.

Master
    For anyone interested, it does work and gives you £500 discount. Not bad I guess.

Car ordered today and pick up planned for Friday!

After 15 years of ordering Audis for my company car, the BIK benefit was too much to ignore and my Tesla gets delivered in 2 weeks time.

Slightly nervous about the changes required in route management but equally excited to see what all the fuss is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For anyone interested, it does work and gives you £500 discount. Not bad I guess.

EQCs are currently the better second hand option IMHO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    EQCs are currently the better second hand option IMHO.
    We went for a new one in the end.

The Mercedes models seem expensive when looking at the spec. I’m a Mercedes fan, so maybe next time as they continue to develop their model range.

Nice. Keeping the Model 3?

I’m hoping at some point Tesla need new registrations so bad they’ll overpay on the trade in and I can dump the 3. 540i would be very nice but electric is too cheap to ignore depreciation to one side.

I’m hoping at some point Tesla need new registrations so bad they’ll overpay on the trade in and I can dump the 3. 540i would be very nice but electric is too cheap to ignore depreciation to one side.
    They have a big (record) number to hit in Q4 to meet their volume target for the year so I can see them doing any tricks they can this Q to get there.

Master

Yes 3 is through work scheme so that will stay until end of lease.
    New one is personal and plan for that is to stay in the family longer term.

Ideally should have waited until end of December to try to get a better deal but it was just too easy to get on with it!

On another note, we need new tyres on the model 3. I assume best to stick with the factory acoustic Michelin. Anyone tried anything different?

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    They have a big (record) number to hit in Q4 to meet their volume target for the year so I can see them doing any tricks they can this Q to get there.
    Just checked mine with the Tesla trade in site. Dec 2021 with 11.7k miles and they’re offering £27k flat with the like for like Y coming in at £45k

Think at £10k I would be half tempted but £18k is too much. I’ll keep an eye on it as Q4 progresses but doubt it will work out.

Yes 3 is through work scheme so that will stay until end of lease.
    New one is personal and plan for that is to stay in the family longer term.

Ideally should have waited until end of December to try to get a better deal but it was just too easy to get on with it!

On another note, we need new tyres on the model 3. I assume best to stick with the factory acoustic Michelin. Anyone tried anything different?
    Haven’t needed tyres yet but I normally go with Michelin via Costco. Would stick with acoustic I think but nothing to base this on.

Tesla called this morning because I did the trade in and advised me not to use their trade in as I’d get more via Motorway or privately. At £18k it isn’t worth the upgrade but we’ll see if there are offers.

What spec did you go for? I would probably go bottom spec and white again. Wouldn’t mind white seats but doubt I’d paid the money for them.

Tesla Info Thread.

Just checked mine with the Tesla trade in site. Dec 2021 with 11.7k miles and they’re offering £27k flat with the like for like Y coming in at £45k

Think at £10k I would be half tempted but £18k is too much. I’ll keep an eye on it as Q4 progresses but doubt it will work out.
    £9k per year depreciation is a lot. £15k out of a higher rate tax payers gross in income.

There is a lot better cars that can be leased for £1,250 pcm from gross income using salary sacrifice.

That would get you a top of the range Taycan. The concern is keeping below the £90k list for salary sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    £9k per year depreciation is a lot. £15k out of a higher rate tax payers gross in income.

There is a lot better cars that can be leased for £1,250 pcm from gross income using salary sacrifice.

That would get you a top of the range Taycan. The concern is keeping below the £90k list for salary sacrifice.
    I know, I made a poor choice paying cash for the Tesla but do like electric and wouldn’t mind a better boot.

No work car schemes here unfortunately. My company doesn’t do it and my wife isn’t allowed a Tesla but is allowed a more expensive Kia. We just have to suck up the loss.

Don’t need to change but if there are silly offers in Q4 I might for the sake of it.

I know, I made a poor choice paying cash for the Tesla but do like electric and wouldn’t mind a better boot.

No work car schemes here unfortunately. My company doesn’t do it and my wife isn’t allowed a Tesla but is allowed a more expensive Kia. We just have to suck up the loss.

Don’t need to change but if there are silly offers in Q4 I might for the sake of it.
    Surely your employer offers salary sacrifice, if only for their pension contributions?

Can you not encourage your employer to expand that further. If they don’t offer salary sacrifice at all, then they will suffer as staff leave the company if benefits do not keep up with industry standard.

Most professional jobs in companies seem to have a plethora of salary sacrifice options. My company being childcare, cycles, shares, pension and car. I am sure I will have missed something.

It is a no brainer for the company as they save significant NI.

Surely your employer offers salary sacrifice, if only for their pension contributions?

Can you not encourage your employer to expand that further. If they don’t offer salary sacrifice at all, then they will suffer as staff leave the company if benefits do not keep up with industry standard.

Most professional jobs in companies seem to have a plethora of salary sacrifice options. My company being childcare, cycles, shares, pension and car. I am sure I will have missed something.

It is a no brainer for the company as they save significant NI.
    Our cycle to work scheme is only £1k and the max contribution from them is 5%. I have. I idea on childcare vouchers. Most of our benefits are for North America and the UK just get what they’re given. For instance the UK have a stock purchase program but the UK don’t, it was deemed too difficult. No doubt some big shots have annual allocations just don’t have to buy anyway.

Master
    Haven’t needed tyres yet but I normally go with Michelin via Costco. Would stick with acoustic I think but nothing to base this on.

Tesla called this morning because I did the trade in and advised me not to use their trade in as I’d get more via Motorway or privately. At £18k it isn’t worth the upgrade but we’ll see if there are offers.

What spec did you go for? I would probably go bottom spec and white again. Wouldn’t mind white seats but doubt I’d paid the money for them.
    Did quite a bit of reading on the tyres in the end. Have gone for Michelin but the Costco offers aren't on at the moment and so have gone local fitting via Blackcirlces. Price seems reasonable vs. Costco. I went for Primacy 4+ which reviews well and apparently quieter that the acoustic and better wet grip. In theory also should last longer than the sports tyres according to what I read. Fitting Monday so will report back. Our rear tyres are totally slick after 22k miles. Changing all four and will hope that will see the lease out.

On the Y - went for grey RWD with white interior. We found on the Y, the lighter interior really lifts the car internally. Picked it up yesterday, the space in the back is very comfortable. It's a family car, doubt I will be driving it much tbh, still happy with the German diesel for myself - old habits die hard!

Wow so insurance has gone up from £68 a month to £196 a month. 7 years NCB, no points, no accidents in last 5 years. Underground car park, securely gated.

Insurers said it is because Teslas are getting written off for relatively minor damage due to unavailability of parts and insurers not wanting to pay for hire cars for 5 months at a time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Wow so insurance has gone up from £68 a month to £196 a month. 7 years NCB, no points, no accidents in last 5 years. Underground car park, securely gated.

Insurers said it is because Teslas are getting written off for relatively minor damage due to unavailability of parts and insurers not wanting to pay for hire cars for 5 months at a time.
    It does seem a bit of a downside to the Tesla model and the relative lack of support/spares/repair setup.

Our 2 EVs cost around the same price to purchase, but the M3 LR is more than twice the price to insure than the ID.4 GTX, albeit the M3 is a more powerful car etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Which company are you with? Have you since shopped around?

Certainly a limited market with quite a few saying no but I’ve found reasonable quotes available with some effort.

Tesla cutting prices in the US. We’ll see how Q4 progresses here.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...us-2023-10-06/

On the Y - went for grey RWD with white interior. We found on the Y, the lighter interior really lifts the car internally. Picked it up yesterday, the space in the back is very comfortable. It's a family car, doubt I will be driving it much tbh, still happy with the German diesel for myself - old habits die hard!
    I think you’re right, the white does lift the car and make a difference. Would be an easy add-on if it got you leather but I think it’s purely a colour change.

Keep looking at 3 and 5 series estates but will try have a proper look at a Y at some point.

I did finally get the Model 3 tinted on the back this week so will see if that calms the internal temperature a bit.

Blog Entries
    Three years in with the white and it is incredibly easy to keep it looking like new.

Congrats on the Y buddy.

Pitch

Tesla Info Thread.

Tesla were leaps and bounds ahead until as recently as a couple of years ago. Now some of the competition has (almost) caught up.

Not sure why they only offer hatchback saloons when other manufacturers are dropping this style given general unpopularity, or certainly a smaller market for this type of design. Presumably Tesla has a compact SUV coming soon?

The colours are pretty uninspiring too. A red saloon car? And if you don’t want white/black or red you only have two other choices.

Probably still the best EV out there, but if you are not in the market for a saloon, and you don’t fancy white/red/silver/blue/black then there are plenty of really great EVs out there.

I am not slagging off Tesla. Just that they were the great innovator, but it seems there is not much innovation these days. Once cutting edge cars, they seem pretty bland these days given the current competition.

I wonder when the cyber truck will be available in the UK. Looks imminent for the US. Would be an interesting comparison with the Model Y.

My Model 3 on NHS fleet is coming to an end it 12 months. I can’t salary sacrifice again as it will mess with my final salary pension, so it will be a personal purchase next time. Would have another 3 in a heartbeat, although tempted by the Y as the hatchback is easier to put bikes and other stuff in.

Im keeping a very close eye on the rising insurance thing. Currently it’s included in my fleet package, but bonkers insurance is about the only thing that could force me into something else.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I think you’re right, the white does lift the car and make a difference. Would be an easy add-on if it got you leather but I think it’s purely a colour change.

Keep looking at 3 and 5 series estates but will try have a proper look at a Y at some point.

I did finally get the Model 3 tinted on the back this week so will see if that calms the internal temperature a bit.
    For long journeys and feeling surefooted, my E39, E60 and F10 have all been the most comfortable and safe places to be, all just so solid at the time for their era.

I have a few friends with Y, and they rage about the practicality.

You will have a few days to test the tint before the temps drop my friend, poor timing lol. Am still amazed it’s such an issue on a modern car, but equally the seats melting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder when the cyber truck will be available in the UK. Looks imminent for the US. Would be an interesting comparison with the Model Y.
    You are going to struggle to get insurance TBH.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Tesla were leaps and bounds ahead until as recently as a couple of years ago. Now some of the competition has (almost) caught up.

Not sure why they only offer hatchback saloons when other manufacturers are dropping this style given general unpopularity, or certainly a smaller market for this type of design. Presumably Tesla has a compact SUV coming soon?

The colours are pretty uninspiring too. A red saloon car? And if you don’t want white/black or red you only have two other choices.

Probably still the best EV out there, but if you are not in the market for a saloon, and you don’t fancy white/red/silver/blue/black then there are plenty of really great EVs out there.

I am not slagging off Tesla. Just that they were the great innovator, but it seems there is not much innovation these days. Once cutting edge cars, they seem pretty bland these days given the current competition.
    I’m a little confused with your post, Tesla make four models but only the model 3 doesn’t have a hatchback.

Both the model X and Y are SUVs with fairly cavernous interiors.

True, there’s no estate EV but then only MG do one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’m a little confused with your post, Tesla make four models but only the model 3 doesn’t have a hatchback.

Both the model X and Y are SUVs with fairly cavernous interiors.

True, there’s no estate EV but then only MG do one of those.
    They are more like people carriers than SUVs, at least when I look at them.

They are more like people carriers than SUVs, at least when I look at them.
    If that’s your perspective then I can see where you are coming from.

I struggle to see how they look more like a people carrier though; they look more like an X4 orX6 than a VW Sharan or Chrysler Voyager to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    For long journeys and feeling surefooted, my E39, E60 and F10 have all been the most comfortable and safe places to be, all just so solid at the time for their era.

I have a few friends with Y, and they rage about the practicality.

You will have a few days to test the tint before the temps drop my friend, poor timing lol. Am still amazed it’s such an issue on a modern car, but equally the seats melting.

I don’t think my wife will go for an ICE car again. She thinks estates look morbid and is too much of a snob to look at Skoda. I’m pretty sure Tesla trade in prices are locked for 60 days so we’ll see what happens but probably the best thing we can do is keep the Model 3 for another year or two. It’s two years old in Dec and has less than 12k miles.

Master
    I don’t think my wife will go for an ICE car again. She thinks estates look morbid and is too much of a snob to look at Skoda. I’m pretty sure Tesla trade in prices are locked for 60 days so we’ll see what happens but probably the best thing we can do is keep the Model 3 for another year or two. It’s two years old in Dec and has less than 12k miles.
    Tickled by the morbid comment! Back in the days of 20s youth, the company car scheme was literally any ford you wanted, so I went with a Focus RS given the insurance wasn’t my issue.

Friend who needed a bigger car went for a Mondeo, think it was a Ghia X but could be mistaken. It also had the letters EST on the order form, which he interpreted as some special model.

He ordered it in black and when the estate turned up it was nicknamed the hearse. He was mortified and after a short while put it back in the pool and took another as it was not a good look in your early 20s!

As much as I’ve slated Tesla constantly in the past here I am looking at a Model Y. The shame of it.

For the first time I put the child seat in the Model 3 this weekend and the buggy in the boot to make sure it all fits and had a bit of a panic. No space left. Went down to look at the Model Y boot to compare and it’s definitely easier to get the stuff in and out of the boot but I’m not sure if it’s any better in volume although the frunk space looks deeper.

Anyone here with a young family managing ok in the Model 3 or changed to the Model Y and found it that much better? Cost to change is approx £15k.

The obvious answer is probably a 3/5 series estate or similar but we really do like electric.

In the pics the white car is the Model 3 and the navy is the Model Y

Tesla Info Thread.

^^^^^save your self £15k and buy a stroller when the baby gets to 6 months.

We ditched a large pram/buggy as soon as we could as they are totally impractical for getting on and off London transport for example.

After 6 months anything fairly comfortable that allows a baby to recline will do.

Roof box will get you over the 6 month hump.

Craftsman
    As much as I’ve slated Tesla constantly in the past here I am looking at a Model Y. The shame of it.

For the first time I put the child seat in the Model 3 this weekend and the buggy in the boot to make sure it all fits and had a bit of a panic. No space left. Went down to look at the Model Y boot to compare and it’s definitely easier to get the stuff in and out of the boot but I’m not sure if it’s any better in volume although the frunk space looks deeper.

Anyone here with a young family managing ok in the Model 3 or changed to the Model Y and found it that much better? Cost to change is approx £15k.

The obvious answer is probably a 3/5 series estate or similar but we really do like electric.

In the pics the white car is the Model 3 and the navy is the Model Y

I've got a 5 and 8 year old in a Model 3. Had it two years so when we first got it still had buggy and loads of stuff. Tbh it's been absolutely grand, not worried about it at all. Key thing is actually the buggy itself and having an easy collapse mechanism so you can do it quickly in the cold!

I've two years left on my lease, so wil be interesting to see what is available at that point. Didn't want to buy last time round as was unsure how quickly electric market would develop - but may pick up a used Y in two years time as you say the hatchback is a wee bit easier to get stuff in and out.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk