closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone put the heating on yet?

Heating came on at 5.30 am for an hour or so and now it is a balmy 23 degrees outside with warmer predicted for tomorrow.

Hopefully I will be able to cut the grass tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Heating came on at 5.30 am for an hour or so and now it is a balmy 23 degrees outside with warmer predicted for tomorrow.

Hopefully I will be able to cut the grass tomorrow.
    Our towel rail loop did the same (comes on before the main heating loops), nice to have a warm towel on a chilly morning...

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Our towel rail loop did the same (comes on before the main heating loops), nice to have a warm towel on a chilly morning...
    Can't beat it!

And I managed to cut the grass today although it was really rather warm (24 degrees).
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Personally I don’t like hot weather. 20c in the shade is fine for me. Laying on some foreign beach roasting would be hell. So I’m quite happy at present though could do without the precipitation.

Journeyman

Yes, I did.

Hi All

I run the gas central heating system 2weeks ago, for 30mins, to check all rads warming up............rather than find come Oct/Nov something awry and not a Boiler Eng/Plumber avaible to look at let alone get sorted quickly.

L
    Last edited by Low-Key; 12th August 2023 at 22:10. Reason: Minor addition to title

Home from a blissful holiday in Ibiza. Temps of 28 to 31 and blue skies with a light breeze most days. We could plan to do anything and go anywhere we wanted or chill outside with a drink.

Here the roads are flooded again and the forecast is the same as today for the rest of the month. Meant to be going to Keswick this week and having a night away with the wife at the weekend but both are now rained off.

This has been the situation all day:

And just two and a half hours away:

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

And just two and a half hours away:
    Is that Croydon, then?

Haha, not from Newcastle! Two and a half hours from Newcastle doesn't even reach Manchester.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Is that Croydon, then?

Anyone put the heating on yet?

the forecast is the same as today for the rest of the month
    Looks fairly pleasant this week. Low 70s possible in the NE, mid to later this week. Enjoy! The glass is not always half empty.

Glad you enjoyed you holiday. Looked nice.

It’s baltic today, temp is just in double figures but wind makes it feel a lot colder. One day left of ‘summer’.

Anyone put the heating on yet?

Put it on last night, just for a bit.
    Was tired, had given blood, not eaten well and felt a bit washed out.

Heating on, along with a nice thick jert (shacket? A thick jacket-type shirt) and nodded off on the sofa cosy and warm about 7.30pm with Attenborough talking to me about birds of paradise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Nope. But I swept the chimney last weekend, so I am ready for when we do decide to have a fire. Probably some time in October.

Sent from my SM-A145R using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Fire is on right now!

Not even considered switching the heating on here in North Norfolk, wore a light fleece over my polo shirt on the way to work first thing this morning, kept it off all day even when I walked to the local shop at lunchtime. It’s a bit cooler but still nowhere near cold enough for heating

Craftsman
    Thermal socks and hoody tonight.

15 degrees here and still in a pair of shorts but I have put a jumper on. Strong BMI helps.

Chilly in London tonight but still in shorts and t shirt, she has a jumper and jeans on though. I am refusing to close the bi-folds - it’s still August.

Master
    Not really close yet. Had a few cooler afternoons at home but then realise I've had a bunch of windows open, and just been in a t-shirt! So I think we're OK for a while yet.

..........and despite the spin on the energy cost price cap we`ll still end up paying more to heat our houses this winter than we did last year...

It’s August, why would anyone?

Expecting the Winter boots/tyres threads to be revived soon…

Home from a blissful holiday in Ibiza. Temps of 28 to 31 and blue skies with a light breeze most days. We could plan to do anything and go anywhere we wanted or chill outside with a drink.

Here the roads are flooded again and the forecast is the same as today for the rest of the month. Meant to be going to Keswick this week and having a night away with the wife at the weekend but both are now rained off.

This has been the situation all day:

I can't see the Cheviots from there.

They’re behind me!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I can't see the Cheviots from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It’s August, why would anyone?
    I may add to this thread later in October. Until then I will put a jumper on.

Master
    I actually turned the A/C off today, it's getting cooler and the regular ventilation is now enough. Heating works with thermostats and turns on automatically when it gets colder, usually when temps stay around 10C - I'd say in a month or so.

Yesterday I admit I briefly contemplated putting on a T Shirt, then came to my senses.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    15 degrees here and still in a pair of shorts but I have put a jumper on. Strong BMI helps.
    Adopting strong BMI as a phrase.

Haven’t worn trousers since the end of May & that was only as I had to be in the office for a client meeting. Shorts 100% until it’s too cold to contemplate.

Chimney sweep booked in so I’m ahead of the rush when it gets cooler.

November is the earliest I will contemplate, until then: layers + blanket + hot or strong drink!

Can anyone explain why my August gas and leccy bills are exactly the same as July, despite us being away on holiday for two weeks?

For two weeks we used no washing machine, no hoover, no kettles, no oven, no computers, no radios, no TV… no nothing except fridge/freezer and standby items and two lights on timers.

For two weeks we used no gas at all, no hot water for two hours a day, no heating, no cooking.

And yet the August bill matches the July bill almost to the £1. How is this possible? I've looked at the bills and July used 197 kWh leccy and August 194 kWh. I just don't see how this can be?

Gas used 416 kWh in July and 352 kWh in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Adopting strong BMI as a phrase.

Haven’t worn trousers since the end of May & that was only as I had to be in the office for a client meeting. Shorts 100% until it’s too cold to contemplate.

Chimney sweep booked in so I’m ahead of the rush when it gets cooler.
    I would love to get our fires working but the back room we never go in and the front room fire doesn’t have an auto shut off so we would need to install a new fire and this one is original. One the list of “one day” jobs which will never come true I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Can anyone explain why my August gas and leccy bills are exactly the same as July, despite us being away on holiday for two weeks?

For two weeks we used no washing machine, no hoover, no kettles, no oven, no computers, no radios, no TV… no nothing except fridge/freezer and standby items and two lights on timers.

For two weeks we used no gas at all, no hot water for two hours a day, no heating, no cooking.

And yet the August bill matches the July bill almost to the £1. How is this possible? I've looked at the bills and July used 197 kWh leccy and August 194 kWh. I just don't see how this can be?

Gas used 416 kWh in July and 352 kWh in August.
    Estimated or confirmed meter readings?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Estimated or confirmed meter readings?
    All confirmed and registered by me in the same way I do every month. I estimated that just the kettle should have saved us £10.

Maybe I'm overestimating how much energy everything uses but I was expecting at least £20 less for the leccy?

Looking at the gas, last year we used 12 units in July and only 7 in August. This year we used 13 and 11.

I'm now wondering if I forgot to turn off the boiler for hot water? I was certain I did turn it off but maybe with all the packing and faffing about … so the boiler would have been heating the tank for two hours a day. Jesus!

All confirmed and registered by me in the same way I do every month. I estimated that just the kettle should have saved us £10.

Maybe I'm overestimating how much energy everything uses but I was expecting at least £20 less for the leccy?

Looking at the gas, last year we used 12 units in July and only 7 in August. This year we used 13 and 11.

I'm now wondering if I forgot to turn off the boiler for hot water? I was certain I did turn it off but maybe with all the packing and faffing about … so the boiler would have been heating the tank for two hours a day. Jesus!
    On a well insulated tank - shouldn't be that severe a consumption if you did.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    On a well insulated tank - shouldn't be that severe a consumption if you did.
    14 days at 2 hours a day, but then the tank thermostat would have minimalised some of that as the boiler would have just been topping it up.

That kind of fits with only using 2 units less instead of the 5 units less last year.

The only other thing I can think is that the cat lady was having baths every day, but considering she was only popping in to feed and water the beast, this is unlikely.

14 days at 2 hours a day, but then the tank thermostat would have minimalised some of that as the boiler would have just been topping it up.

That kind of fits with only using 2 units less instead of the 5 units less last year.

The only other thing I can think is that the cat lady was having baths every day, but considering she was only popping in to feed and water the beast, this is unlikely.
    Does she have an EV?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Does she have an EV?
    Nope. It's a diesel I think.

Yeah, unless the pipes in the circuit are unlagged - then I'd expect the boiler to be firing only for about 20mins each day on that, and less if the pipe runs are short.

Master
    I would love to get our fires working but the back room we never go in and the front room fire doesn’t have an auto shut off so we would need to install a new fire and this one is original. One the list of “one day” jobs which will never come true I think!
    Yeah I'd struggle to think about replacing an original one, just horrific vs keeping it as. Can you not get a good fire guard to ensure the safety?

We have never had an open fire, so an enclosed stove is all we have known; I will have it on during the day when cold & relocate from my office to the lounge to enjoy the warmth, just keeping the temp ticking over with a large log as & when required. Camera on teams clearly has me in my lounge & when asked why I am not in my office, I rotate my Mac to show them why!

Just in time for the kids to go back to school.

Not had the heating on since mid-May, and still OVO wanted to increase my D/Ds !

Wouldn't let me reduce them, so I went for a £300 refund. Got that, and today after registering meter readings - I am apparently 'on track' with my D/Ds !

They are not Direct Debits - they are operating a 'Pre-purchase scheme'.

On the bright side - no heating required until October at the earliest!

Electricity doesn't vary much but I suspect that the new PerfectDraft beer machine is a constant burden.

Rather than follow my example of putting a blanket on my lap, Mrs H just put the stove on full blast and sat there in her summer outfit.
    I'm across the living room huffing and stripping off layers of clothing, too scared to suggest a sensible solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Rather than follow my example of putting a blanket on my lap, Mrs H just put the stove on full blast and sat there in her summer outfit.
    I'm across the living room huffing and stripping off layers of clothing, too scared to suggest a sensible solution.

Get electric throws............

Honestly - super warm and about 120W - but you only need them on for about 20mins for 2hrs snoofly warmth.

(make it seem like her idea)

Do people still say back room and front room? (Asking for a friend.)

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    My folks still say back-kitchen, even if they are talking about one of those new fangled kitchen diners.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    My folks still say back-kitchen, even if they are talking about one of those new fangled kitchen diners.

Haven't they mostly been knocked through, extended and made into open plan family living- dining spaces?

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Haven't they mostly been knocked through, extended and made into open plan family living- dining spaces?
    My elderly aunt still has a parlour. I am not sure it has seen human habitation in half a century.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Yeah I'd struggle to think about replacing an original one, just horrific vs keeping it as. Can you not get a good fire guard to ensure the safety?

We have never had an open fire, so an enclosed stove is all we have known; I will have it on during the day when cold & relocate from my office to the lounge to enjoy the warmth, just keeping the temp ticking over with a large log as & when required. Camera on teams clearly has me in my lounge & when asked why I am not in my office, I rotate my Mac to show them why!
    Work laptop is so pants that if I join a call elsewhere it’s from my phone from the breakfast bar.

Someone here had their log burner on from about 11am here. The smell is absolutely beautiful.

If we ever reconfigure the downstairs that’s the only requirement I have

Master
    Blog Entries
    My wife had the lounge diner converted in to a bedroom with accompanying walk-in wardrobe resulting in a new 2.5m corridor between the hall and the back kitchen. This corridor is always referred to as ‘your back passage’

If only I could afford some staff

What is wrong with you lot!!!!! In Aberdeen, in shorts and will be until December, even my 7 year old daughter wouldnt ask to put heating on until October at the earliest, when we could get snow....

London softies

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk