closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ULEZ Camera Vandalism

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Good point.

Interesting that folk who are in favour of or at least ambivalent to certain terrorist tactics (like vandalising these cameras) condemn other terrorist tactics (like forcing a city to a standstill or vandalising works of art).

At least be consistent if you want to be credible.
    Maybe they’re more like freedom fighter tactics rather than terrorism.

No one is feeling any terror.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Isn't it because the ulez is just seen as another stealth tax on motorists? I can understand why they are peed off and why they applaud vandalism of cameras. especially in present day economic conditions.
    Its exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Its exactly that.
    It's.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    It's.
    If anyone is using Tapatalk, it doesn’t (yes, I typed and apostrophe for that word) show apostrophes.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    its not democratic,it penalises the working class/poor its not improving air quality just moving it if that.

If you are rich driving a supercar you dont care and you can still pollute if you pay.

Plus all the surveys where rigged or ignored, its happening in other places in the UK.

We elect these people to "do our wishes" you can find it written down in a lot maybe even all councils codes of conduct.

We have a right of freedom of movement, I didnt give my right away no one has.
    This is the G&D right?.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    its not democratic,it penalises the working class/poor its not improving air quality just moving it if that.

If you are rich driving a supercar you dont care and you can still pollute if you pay.

Plus all the surveys where rigged or ignored, its happening in other places in the UK.

We elect these people to "do our wishes" you can find it written down in a lot maybe even all councils codes of conduct.

We have a right of freedom of movement, I didnt give my right away no one has.
    Just about nothing there is actually factual.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    This is the G&D right?.
    Only 158 posts late.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    If anyone is using Tapatalk, it doesn’t (yes, I typed and apostrophe for that word) show apostrophes.
    I typed my reply above in Tapatalk. And this one as well, with apostrophes.

It's not Tapatalk.

Master

It's not Tapatalk.
    Doesn’t work for my Tapatalk

Oh no it isn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not Tapatalk.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...rophe+tapatalk

I walked past around 3 of these new cams last night, all 3 had their leads cut unless what I was looking at was their wireless antenna.

The vans seem a bit unreliable as well…

I’ve left an apostrophe out there so you can correct it.

I’ve left an apostrophe out there so you can correct it.
    Where?
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Tapatalk doesn't display apostrophes when you type them but they are perfectly visible to others.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Tapatalk doesn't display apostrophes when you type them but they are perfectly visible to others.
    And you once posted?

For me they aren’t?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Maybe they’re more like freedom fighter tactics rather than terrorism.

No one is feeling any terror.
    No freedom fighters in my opinion. Just vandals

Tax payers (us) will have to pay for the damage caused...
    Last edited by redmonaco; 16th September 2023 at 10:42.

I always struggle with the fact that you can now pay to pollute in London.

The most sensible thing would be to completely ban the non compliant cars from London, full stop.

But then they would lose the goose that lays the golden egg.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Khan as said there will be no profit made from ULEZ all revenue will be ploughed back in to making London cleaner. Let’s watch how that goes after the first year.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Khan as said there will be no profit made from ULEZ all revenue will be ploughed back in to making London cleaner. Let’s watch how that goes after the first year.
    They are not like a public company paying dividends. Of course they don’t make a profit. The just use the ULEZ to spend on other things.

Master
    I always struggle with the fact that you can now pay to pollute in London.

The most sensible thing would be to completely ban the non compliant cars from London, full stop.

But then they would lose the goose that lays the golden egg.
    It’s just a grand version of the plastic bags charge introduced in supermarkets?

It’s designed to drive a behaviour, change things, if they’d announced an outright ban then the outcry would have been even larger with ‘banned from London’ headlines etc.

I remember when the bag charge came in, seeing people with armfuls of shopping just to save 5p because they’d forgotten their bag.

Money is a powerful incentive, if it makes people think twice or think their next car needs to be at least Euro 4 Petrol/Euro 6 Diesel, then mission accomplished they’d say?

It's all because of Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    No freedom fighters in my opinion. Just vandals

Tax payers (us) will have to pay for the damage caused...
    That’s fine, we’ve paid more for worse and will continue to do so. In the grand scheme of things it’s less than the cost of a penny sweet.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I still say the crit'air in France is a better way. If pollution is so high then curtain vehicles are not allowed in. Ours is pollution is high but come in if you give me some money.
    So it's all about the dosh.

I still say the crit'air in France is a better way. If pollution is so high then curtain vehicles are not allowed in. Ours is pollution is high but come in if you give me some money.
    So it's all about the dosh.
    No, it's about pricing pollution out and making people consider their actions. It's a very relevant policy, but maybe the population isn't ready for it.

Obviously not very smart from a social/fairness perspective - but better than doing nothing.

No, it's about pricing pollution out and making people consider their actions. It's a very relevant policy, but maybe the population isn't ready for it.

Obviously not very smart from a social/fairness perspective - but better than doing nothing.
    Then why are all cars aged 40+ years exempt?

Master
    Blog Entries

No, I'd say population is peed off with it. Funny how the policy chosen seems to be bypassed if you pay money.

Master
    Then why are all cars aged 40+ years exempt?
    Because the number of 40+ year old cars on the roads are tiny, and the annual mileage such cars do in the capital is tiny?

Just my guess. I used to see a Series 1 Ex Royal Navy Land Rover with a faded canvas rear cover parked on the back streets near Westminster Abbey when I was in London, lovely looking thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Because the number of 40+ year old cars on the roads are tiny, and the annual mileage such cars do in the capital is tiny?

Just my guess. I used to see a Series 1 Ex Royal Navy Land Rover with a faded canvas rear cover parked on the back streets near Westminster Abbey when I was in London, lovely looking thing!
    I agree it’s going to be an incredibly small amount but by it’s curious at the least to see them exempted.

If it’s about pollution it’s about pollution.

When is the ULEZ for the underground coming in? Isn’t the air down there 10x worse?

Master
    No, I'd say population is peed off with it. Funny how the policy chosen seems to be bypassed if you pay money.
    It’s worth remembering why ULEZ exists, and some of the facts around its origins etc. I know Khan is now the bad guy, but successive London mayors have all pushed it to try and comply with legal limits for pollution.

https://www.lse.ac.uk/granthaminstit...emission-zone/

ULEZ itself isn’t going to sort out London’s air quality issues on its own, but previous iterations have reduced pollution and it will help reduce them further.

London will always be polluted, given how many people live there and the need for transport and services that keep it functioning. Like so much in our world today, it’s about limiting our impact on it, not removing it entirely, which is obviously impossible.

Master
    I agree it’s going to be an incredibly small amount but by it’s curious at the least to see them exempted.

If it’s about pollution it’s about pollution.

When is the ULEZ for the underground coming in? Isn’t the air down there 10x worse?
    Yes, I used to find the air on the Underground intolerable, which led to me walking to work in the end, better for me and my health, but it was noticeable when walking through the most congested parts of London.

I seem to remember we said the same when the Congestion charge first came in, is it about reducing congestion or isn’t it? If it is, how come you can pay to still drive into central London?

I did notice in the weeks that followed its implementation though that those congestion pinch points were much reduced, it did change behaviour, which is what this is all about isn’t it?

I've recently spoken to some tradesmen with non ULEZ vehicles.

They said they will just use autopay and then slap the cost on their customer's bills.

Easy init?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

They said they will just use autopay and then slap the cost on their customer's bills.

Easy init?
    That's certainly what is happening in the live entertainment industry.

Master

Easy init?
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    That's certainly what is happening in the live entertainment industry.
    Of course that is what will happen.

Can’t blame them, not like everyone can pop out and buy a compliant van or a new EV, or even be able to charge it properly if reliant on on street parking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Of course that is what will happen.

Can’t blame them, not like everyone can pop out and buy a compliant van or a new EV, or even be able to charge it properly if reliant on on street parking.
    You don’t need to buy an EV, just a Euro 4 petrol or Euro 6 diesel, it’s not a massively high bar.

Also, if you live in the ULEZ you can get a grant to help, business grants to switch work vehicles are even higher.

ULEZ Camera Vandalism

Easy init?
    Tree surgeon came this week. I’m not in ulez and neither is he. Somehow due to traffic he had to enter the ulez to get to us so charged it on top. Bet he gave the same line to everyone he saw that day and got himself three or four ulez fees.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 16th September 2023 at 19:29. Reason: Language

Master
    You don’t need to buy an EV, just a Euro 4 petrol or Euro 6 diesel, it’s not a massively high bar.

Also, if you live in the ULEZ you can get a grant to help, business grants to switch work vehicles are even higher.
    If you read my post again, you will see there was a compliant van OR an EV were the options. Should I use bold next time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ULEZ Camera Vandalism

The schemes are multiplying at a rate. I was in Sheffield last week dropping my son back at Uni, and yep, there is a £10 per day CAZ charge for non compliant vehicles .

I had no idea until I drove through it. It didn’t seem like a lot of people lived in the city centre, so seemed to have little comparison with London. Apart from sucking in a load of revenue.

Master

Just my guess.

On that basis, there’s no logic charging me if I go (round the M25) to Heathrow to drop someone off as a one-off. What mileage would I be doing in the zone for my £12.50?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tree surgeon came this week. I’m not in ulez and neither is he. Somehow due to traffic he had to enter the ulez to get to us so charged it on top. Bet he gave the same line to everyone he saw that day and got himself three or four ulez fees.

And that’s what will happen across the board if people see the opportunity they will charge it.

And that’s what will happen across the board if people see the opportunity they will charge it.
    If their is a fixed price for the work and you live near, but outside the ULEZ, it would seem sensible now to confirm with the tradesman in advance that no ULEZ payment will be made.

If their is a fixed price for the work and you live near, but outside the ULEZ, it would seem sensible now to confirm with the tradesman in advance that no ULEZ payment will be made.
    It's not that sensible - if there are diverts due to traffic/accident which strays into the ULEZ zone then it penalises the tradesman?

TBH if I was a trade working in/around London I would add the ULEZ fee to my daily/job rate to insulate me from the hit.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    If you read my post again, you will see there was a compliant van OR an EV were the options. Should I use bold next time?

Yes, but you introduced an EV and mentioned on street car charging, raising the barrier artificially high.

No you shouldn’t use bold next time, but neither should you play the man.

Master
    Yes, but you introduced an EV and mentioned on street car charging, raising the barrier artificially high.

No you shouldn’t use bold next time, but neither should you play the man.
    Or play the child that can’t read the original post correctly?

Master
    Or play the child that can’t read the original post correctly?

Stay classy.

Master
    Stay classy.
    When you can read correctly, first time, I will.

Yawn.

What, like the Mayor of London?

What, like the Mayor of London?

Yes, Boris Johnson. Mayor of London, introduced ULEZ in 2015

The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, today (Thursday 26 March) confirmed the introduction of the world’s first Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ), and welcomed an increased fund of £65 million to help support London taxi drivers’ transition to zero emission capable taxis.
    Following a positive consultation process, the Ultra Low Emission Zone will launch in central London on 7 September 2020, significantly improving air quality and helping to protect the health of Londoners. It will require vehicles travelling in the Congestion Charge Zone of central London to meet new emission standards 24 hours a day, seven days a week or pay a daily charge.
    City of London press release

Master
    Yes, Boris Johnson. Mayor of London, introduced ULEZ in 2015

The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, today (Thursday 26 March) confirmed the introduction of the world’s first Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ), and welcomed an increased fund of £65 million to help support London taxi drivers’ transition to zero emission capable taxis.
    Following a positive consultation process, the Ultra Low Emission Zone will launch in central London on 7 September 2020, significantly improving air quality and helping to protect the health of Londoners. It will require vehicles travelling in the Congestion Charge Zone of central London to meet new emission standards 24 hours a day, seven days a week or pay a daily charge.
    City of London press release
    Indeed, given the requirement to comply with legislation around air quality, I’m not sure what successive mayors were supposed to do.

What is the alternative?