closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thinking of selling my Omega Speedmaster 321 (new model) - am I mad?

Red face Thinking of selling my Omega Speedmaster 321 (new model) - am I mad?

It's a Nov 2020 watch that I paid significantly over list for, but I don't wear it as much as I thought I would as it's too 'special'.

Does that make sense at all? :) It's an exquisite time-piece though.

I'm really in two minds as I'd make a loss on sale and might want one again very soon (I'm an idiot like that). :(

Anyway - thoughts and opinions welcome.

I suspect you’ll get a whole load of comments telling you to just bloody wear it and not worry about scratches but I can sympathise. Where I have stretched the budget, I tend to baby the watch, which limits my enjoyment.

Ultimately, if you ding a £300 watch, that’s maybe £50 off the value, if you choose to sell it. If you ding a £20 000 watch, that might be a grand or two.

Where your comfort level lies depends on you, your attitudes and your circumstances.

If you can afford to keep it for special occasions and accept you might only wear it occasionally, keep it. If you think you’d rather have a few more affordable alternatives, each of which you can enjoy more freely, that might be the better route. There’s room for both approaches.

I have one watch which cost twice anything else in my collection which I wear very selectively. Others may scoff but that works for me and in a way, adds to the ceremony of a special watch.

YMMV.

Craftsman
    Would you be looking to replace it with anything else or could the funds be used elsewhere?? I think that would be a deciding factor for me.

Master
    If you need the money sell it, if you don't keep it. Just do what's best for you.

Grand Master
    I think you were mad for buying it and paying over list, but you clearly wanted it badly enough so on that basis you'd be crazy to sell it.

Unless you could use the money I`d keep it. Wear it carefully, don't get it bashed about, and it'll be fine.

My view as a biased owner of said watch would be to keep it unless you need the money for something.

For two reasons.

Firstly this isn’t the moment to sell watches if you can afford not to. Markets are usually cyclical so once confidence returns you might reduce your potential loss by selling in 12 months time (for example).

Secondly I think it’s the kind of watch that would be difficult to get again if you change your mind (without paying another premium). Unless you are dead certain you don’t want it and never will, of course.

Also…wear the damn watch! One way to de-special the watch is swapping out the very shiny bracelet for something else. I haven’t tried it but I think it would look and feel great on something rubber. Omega also make a Milanese loop style strap for it (similar to the bond Seamaster) which is fully brushed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    my personal motto is:

If I’m not wearing a watch for a month it’s a yellow card. If I’m still not wearing it after three months it’s a red card and I look for a substitute (replacement) or put the money back in the watch kitty.

But that is a very special watch. As others have said maybe not the best time to sell unless you have to.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Red face

Thanks guys. :) I’m still mulling over the options and certainly don’t want to have seller’s remorse later on.

It is a lovely timepiece, whatever one thinks about the 321 movement and the myth that Omega has created around it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    my personal motto is:

If I’m not wearing a watch for a month it’s a yellow card. If I’m still not wearing it after three months it’s a red card and I look for a substitute (replacement) or put the money back in the watch kitty.

But that is a very special watch. As others have said maybe not the best time to sell unless you have to.
    I agree with this. I'm probably a bit weird but since the pandemic I've been operating a strict rotation policy. Watches with date complications can't be worn until the date they stopped working comes around and every watch in the top tier collection has to be worn before going back to the first. It might sound daft but this is an excellent way of weeding out the chaff. I'm excited to wear most of my watches and putting them on after a period of abstinence is a joy. If it isn't then it's time to move it on. There's one such watch in my collection but fortunately I don't need the money and I'd take such a bath on it it's almost not worth selling it on.

OP - put the 321 away and don't even look at it for a month. When you are finally reunited with it, you'll know if the love has gone. If it has, unless you're desperate, now is not the time to sell but at least you'll know.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    My view as a biased owner of said watch would be to keep it unless you need the money for something.

For two reasons.

Firstly this isn’t the moment to sell watches if you can afford not to. Markets are usually cyclical so once confidence returns you might reduce your potential loss by selling in 12 months time (for example).

Secondly I think it’s the kind of watch that would be difficult to get again if you change your mind (without paying another premium). Unless you are dead certain you don’t want it and never will, of course.

Also…wear the damn watch! One way to de-special the watch is swapping out the very shiny bracelet for something else. I haven’t tried it but I think it would look and feel great on something rubber. Omega also make a Milanese loop style strap for it (similar to the bond Seamaster) which is fully brushed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree with this entirely. It is not the time to be selling a watch like that unless (1) you absolutely need too and (2) you have a good plan for the funds raised. In the meantime, just wear it and enjoy it!

Master
    I would sit tight as it was clearly a watch you really wanted and still believe is 'special'. Once sold, the remorse felt will make any financial loss feel infinitely worse.

Guys - you're right. :) I think I'll just wear and enjoy it!

It definitely 'smiles' at me, so I may as well smile back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Guys - you're right. :) I think I'll just wear and enjoy it!

It definitely 'smiles' at me, so I may as well smile back.
    Good choice!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I think you’ve made the right choice.

The only other thing I thought was a tentative sales/trade post if you could think of a few things you’d consider at say half the value. Others have also lost but a trade makes things a little more manageable, that way you’d still get something you’d want and free up some of the risk.

Craftsman
    Bad time to sell you will get lowball offers or sell on consignment or trade ,just wear and enjoy it ,it's a watch thats what it's for

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app