closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    They shouldn’t be disappointed - although it could have started elsewhere, involvement of evs may have meant it couldn’t be contained and loss of the car park.
    This should surely be a lack of fire suppression equipment in car parks issue, rather than desperately trying to make it an EVs are to blame even if they were just sitting there one?

The intensity of the fire from 1000 burning vehicles would be enough to destroy the car park anyway, same as the Liverpool Echo arena one on NYE 2017 that started in a Land Rover, EVs weren’t exactly common back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    This should surely be a lack of fire suppression equipment in car parks issue, rather than desperately trying to make it an EVs are to blame even if they were just sitting there one?

The intensity of the fire from 1000 burning vehicles would be enough to destroy the car park anyway, same as the Liverpool Echo arena one on NYE 2017 that started in a Land Rover, EVs weren’t exactly common back then.
    There has been no specific legislation relating to fire suppression in car parks (multi storey) for some time now - only recommendations. Stuff often gets damaged/vandalised.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Tell us more, like why?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    In the not too distant future electric cars will not be the viable solution to the greener planet we need as Governments have had us believe.
    Which Government is saying that electric cars are meant to be ‘the’ viable solution to the ‘greener planet we need’? They are a small part of the solution though, and are a proven and more sustainable lower carbon version of what we have already, a step in the right direction. It’s funny how nobody suggests the alternative, or is it just carry on as we are, burning stuff with zero attempt to reduce it?

Less consumption of everything, fewer private vehicles in total, more green public transport, less flying, de-carbonising of the electricity grid and food and, the elephant in the room, dramatically lower population growth will be the solution though, cars are just the tip of the iceberg. No pun intended.

Which Government is saying that electric cars are meant to be ‘the’ viable solution to the ‘greener planet we need’? They are a small part of the solution though, and are a proven and more sustainable lower carbon version of what we have already, a step in the right direction. It’s funny how nobody suggests the alternative, or is it just carry on as we are, burning stuff with zero attempt to reduce it?

Less consumption of everything, fewer private vehicles in total, more green public transport, less flying, de-carbonising of the electricity grid and food and, the elephant in the room, dramatically lower population growth will be the solution though, cars are just the tip of the iceberg. No pun intended.
    Totally agree with your prescription there...Just not sure that getting folks to swap a car for another car is really the way towards persuading anyone to consume less of everything as it´s holding out the promise, the flawed conceit, that we can all continue to consume, just slightly differently...which is fallacious.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Totally agree with your prescription there...Just not sure that getting folks to swap a car for another car is really the way towards persuading anyone to consume less as it´s holding out the promise that we can all continue to consume, just slightly differently...which is fallacious.
    Well, it would be if existing ICE cars were somehow zero emission once they’d got to a certain age, but for petrol and diesel engines their main carbon emissions come from the use phase. 12kgs of carbon for every UK gallon burnt, and UK vehicles covering 880 million miles per day, you can see how it’s a big target to put a dent in, and why it’s being touted as a useful thing to do.

As for many people alternatives to their car is either non-existent or very inconvenient, then buying an EV the next time you change your car (and if you can, they’re expensive etc) is a step forward.

But, to try and say that EVs ‘won’t save the planet’ is in itself a fallacious argument. They won’t, but they were never going to, it’s merely a less polluting way of maintaining personal mobility. EVs as a step forward is easy, the really difficult stuff is yet to be tackled, and likely never will be is my fear.

But hey, we’ve been around this buoy several times in this very thread haven’t we, and I’m not going to fall out with people over it or let it spoil my participation on the forum, I will just interject with some reasoning now and again.

Well, it would be if existing ICE cars were somehow zero emission once they’d got to a certain age, but for petrol and diesel engines their main carbon emissions come from the use phase. 12kgs of carbon for every UK gallon burnt, and UK vehicles covering 880 million miles per day, you can see how it’s a big target to put a dent in, and why it’s being touted as a useful thing to do.

As for many people alternatives to their car is either non-existent or very inconvenient, then buying an EV the next time you change your car (and if you can, they’re expensive etc) is a step forward.

But, to try and say that EVs ‘won’t save the planet’ is in itself a fallacious argument. They won’t, but they were never going to, it’s merely a less polluting way of maintaining personal mobility. EVs as a step forward is easy, the really difficult stuff is yet to be tackled, and likely never will be is my fear.

But hey, we’ve been around this buoy several times in this very thread haven’t we, and I’m not going to fall out with people over it or let it spoil my participation on the forum, I will just interject with some reasoning now and again.
    Hey ho, as you note we´ve been round this buoy T, so happy to leave it, don´t wish to spoil or be a mood hoover.

12kgs of carbon for every UK gallon burnt, and UK vehicles covering 880 million miles per day, you can see how it’s a big target to put a dent in, and why it’s being touted as a useful thing to do.
    A gallon of petrol only weighs about 3.2kg to start with, Paul Daniels would struggle to get 12kg out of it. But I see your point overall and also Passengers.

I'm certainly not desperate, just repling to the daft fan-boy.