closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bel Canto Phoenix

Craftsman

Cool Bel Canto Phoenix

I am delighted to report that CW have agreed that I can share 1 image of the prototype Phoenix publicly.

Please note that this is a pre-production prototype on loan to me, and is the only watch in existence at present. It is also not accurately representative of the final production watch.

Note that the 99 limited bespoke watches are expected in late Q1 2024. The project actually commenced in December 2022 i.e. that's when I commenced discussions with CW. So we are certainly not queue jumping other Bel Canto customers.

Please don't contact Christopher Ward to request a Phoenix, as these sold out immediately on release, over six months ago.

I also attach a youtube video which appeared today, as it shows me wearing this prototype. Richard, of RichReviews, also wore the same watch for his parts to camera.

https://youtu.be/tY0TXYqGuqw?si=uguHIwrdqP6puNOO

Details of the Bel Canto Phoenix

https://thedriversunion.com/BelCanto.pdf

We were just talking on the forum yesterday about some piece unique Pateks from the latest Talking Watches and now someone pops up with a piece unique McLaren. Incredible.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    We were just talking on the forum yesterday about some piece unique Pateks from the latest Talking Watches and now someone pops up with a piece unique McLaren. Incredible.
    Just fyi it's inspired by my McLaren.

The watch is not McLaren branded in any way, nor are McLaren involved. They only work with Richard Mille for watches.

The car is however a piece unique :)

I could never own a McLaren or a Richard Mille, but that CW could be in reach. And it is a thing of beauty.

I would never want to but I totally agree about the watch, the dial colour is stunning.

Journeyman
    Seen another Bel Canto collaboration yesterday. CW are really pumping them out.

Journeyman

Bel Canto Phoenix

Yes. I saw something on the other new release which says they will NOT be delivered before any other Bel Cantos that are already ordered, which is perfectly fair.

I assume some of these LEs were ordered right at the very start, before some of the standard Bel Canto preorders.

Master
    That is a beautiful colour.

It seems wrong though that customers are waiting quite so long after putting deposits down to receive watches. Unless they were clearly informed how long the wait would be.

Journeyman
    Currently the CW site says June next year

Master
    Stunning it might be. Tasteful….? Not for me.

Master
    There’s more than a whiff of the Emperor’s new clothes about this. It’s as ugly as flip.

Good watch for Elton John I think.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    There’s more than a whiff of the Emperor’s new clothes about this. It’s as ugly as flip.
    I thought it was just me.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    It’s an interesting complication at a price no one else can match but it has a face only a mother could love, not helped by (IMO) dubious colour choices. Not just the orange (which is an acquired taste) but the green and blue aren’t great either.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Stunning it might be. Tasteful….? Not for me.
    Totally agree, I wouldn’t wear one.

Master
    Loved the video of the car, thanks for sharing. Interesting watch too and hopefully you are to be owner of 1/99?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It’s an interesting complication at a price no one else can match but it has a face only a mother could love, not helped by (IMO) dubious colour choices. Not just the orange (which is an acquired taste) but the green and blue aren’t great either.

Nivrel have a 5 minute repeater that although most of them now come in at north of 12 - 15k there is a lot of hand finished work done to the movement and in some cases precious metals added. They did have a plain dial one that was around 6k. Both watches are modified movements I know a lot is being made of what CW have done and it is impressive but its nothing really new. It sort of reminds me of when they brought out the mono pusher watch and that got a lot of press until quite few brands like Longines brought out much the same type of watch.

Master
    Hideous...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    I could never own a McLaren or a Richard Mille, but that CW could be in reach. And it is a thing of beauty.
    Indeed, it's a lot of watch for the money. But unfortunately all 99 sold out instantly.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    A few are questioning why the are producing all these limited editions while people who put down deposits are having their order dates pushed back.
    Pls see my original post:

"Note that the 99 limited bespoke watches are expected in late Q1 2024. The project actually commenced in December 2022 i.e. that's when I commenced discussions with CW. So we are certainly not queue jumping other Bel Canto customers."

In fact this Bespoke watch fell behind series watch orders. Not ahead of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    That is a beautiful colour.

It seems wrong though that customers are waiting quite so long after putting deposits down to receive watches. Unless they were clearly informed how long the wait would be.
    Yes, everyone with an allocation was told 2024 delivery when they ordered earlier in 2023.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Loved the video of the car, thanks for sharing. Interesting watch too and hopefully you are to be owner of 1/99?
    Thank you :)

Yes, I have the allocation of 1/99.

Craftsman

Post Bel Canto Phoenix

I am pleased to report that CW have agreed that I can share 2 further images of the prototype Phoenix publicly.

Please note that this is a pre-production prototype on loan to me, and is the only watch in existence at present.

Note that the 99 limited bespoke watches are expected in late Q1 2024. The project actually commenced in December 2022 i.e. that's when I commenced discussions with CW. So we are absolutely not queue jumping other Bel Canto customers.

Please don't contact Christopher Ward to request a Phoenix, as these sold out immediately on release, over six months ago.

Those with an allocation will already have received a much more detailed update today.

Last edited by JasH; 19th October 2023 at 22:35.

Quote Originally Posted by JasH View Post
    I am pleased to report that CW have agreed that I can share 2 further images of the prototype Phoenix publicly.
    I like the watch although must admit that I much prefer the first photo, these later ones make the dial appear much darker which doesn't appeal.

that said, this is starting to come across very much as a "look what I'm getting, you can't have one thread". The first photo and the thread in general, very interesting. The latest photos and a comment "CW have allowed me to share these photos" followed by "don't contact CW for one as they're all sold out" I find in poor taste at best.

Blog Entries
    The McLaren looks lovely but to be honest the first thing that sprang to mind when I saw the watch was one of those early wall mounted amusement arcade games that send a ball bearing spinning round to drop into different areas.
    The colour is OK in a Seiko orange kind of way, but + - 20 secs a day, and a 38 hour power reserve, seems a bit low rent.
    Mind you, reading all the build up I was expecting the price to be at least 4 or 5 times what it actually was.
    I’m sure many people will love it though, watches are very subjective things.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was all set to give CW a call when I read here that I shouldn't do that.

Its hard to hide my disappointment, but then I consider my Seiko PADI diver a bit loud and flash.

Back to my simple watches that look like watches and I can tell the time with ease.

This one is likely to get you arrested for wearing a loud watch in a built up area.

Each to there own as they say.

I love the colours (especially in the subsequent photos), I like their willingness to branch out - but I do dislike the tone / messaging (FWIW, I am CW owner).

[OOK, now you mention it, I can see the Bagatelle resemblance.]

Ok, I’m confused. What’s top secret about the same watch you can already order/buy but with an orange dial? and is that a bronze case or just the picture? When posts read like a PR release it puts my teeth a little on edge tbh!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I like the watch although must admit that I much prefer the first photo, these later ones make the dial appear much darker which doesn't appeal.

that said, this is starting to come across very much as a "look what I'm getting, you can't have one thread". The first photo and the thread in general, very interesting. The latest photos and a comment "CW have allowed me to share these photos" followed by "don't contact CW for one as they're all sold out" I find in poor taste at best.
    It's truly not the intent.

CW had not permitted images to be shared initially. Then, they allowed 1, then these 2. The reason for saying don't contact CW is because when the watch was originally released early this year, it got leaked, and although it sold out immediately what happened for some days was that CW's phone lines got inundated with calls asking for one. This prevented enquiries for watches that were available from getting through, and was understandably something they did not want. So I was asked to make it clear not to call for one.

I will no longer have the prototype soon anyway as it will go back to CW.

Next year I am sure there will be a hundred owners posting pics of theirs.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    The McLaren looks lovely but to be honest the first thing that sprang to mind when I saw the watch was one of those early wall mounted amusement arcade games that send a ball bearing spinning round to drop into different areas.
    The colour is OK in a Seiko orange kind of way, but + - 20 secs a day, and a 38 hour power reserve, seems a bit low rent.
    Mind you, reading all the build up I was expecting the price to be at least 4 or 5 times what it actually was.
    I’m sure many people will love it though, watches are very subjective things.
    It's a lot of watch for the money, given the finishing and design. And of course being a sonnerie au passage.

In practice Bel Cantos are much more accurate than the stated +/-20. Both the prototype and my Azzurro are circa +5. But they will vary of course.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    is that a bronze case or just the picture?
    It's Grade 5 Titanium, as all Bel Cantos.

The golden colour is from the light reflecting off the wooden table in the 2 new pics.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasH View Post
    It's a lot of watch for the money, given the finishing and design. And of course being a sonnerie au passage.

In practice Bel Cantos are much more accurate than the stated +/-20. Both the prototype and my Azzurro are circa +5. But they will vary of course.
    To be honest I don't see it as a lot of watch for the money, so we'd have to disagree on that. Which feature is over and above other watches in that price range?

I don't see any plus in the hour repeater business either, can't see a practical use for it to be honest. I think it would just get annoying in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    To be honest I don't see it as a lot of watch for the money, so we'd have to disagree on that. Which feature is over and above other watches in that price range?

I don't see any plus in the hour repeater business either, can't see a practical use for it to be honest. I think it would just get annoying in the long run.
    As you said in your earlier post watches are subjective.

The watches that I typically wear are watches from a certain brands professional models range. However that is probably because they are practical and are worn as “normal” watches, not because I view them as special. Whilst many are amongst my favourite watches, they are quite boring.

I have ended up wearing my Bel Canto since January far more than I thought I would. It just makes me smile. Unlike the watches that I typically wear, I don’t wear it gardening, swimming, hiking, cooking or doing DIY etc, but to me that doesn’t really matter.

Trying to do a straight comparison with a £3.5k Bel Canto and a watch from say Tudor or Omega around that price point kinds of misses the point.

I'm struggling to understand what this thread is about. You were lent a watch and are pleased to report that the owner has allowed you to share one, and then two more, pictures, and, er...
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    As you said in your earlier post watches are subjective.

The watches that I typically wear are watches from a certain brands professional models range. However that is probably because they are practical and are worn as “normal” watches, not because I view them as special. Whilst many are amongst my favourite watches, they are quite boring.

I have ended up wearing my Bel Canto since January far more than I thought I would. It just makes me smile. Unlike the watches that I typically wear, I don’t wear it gardening, swimming, hiking, cooking or doing DIY etc, but to me that doesn’t really matter.

Trying to do a straight comparison with a £3.5k Bel Canto and a watch from say Tudor or Omega around that price point kinds of misses the point.
    I can see it has a 'just a bit of fun' vibe for you which is fine. I have watches like that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I'm struggling to understand what this thread is about. .

It's a watch forum, so I thought some members might be interested in seeing a unique watch that's coming next Spring.

What’s the history behind this - you fancied a special edition for yourselves and others (a group of some sort?) contacted CW and they agreed?

Not familiar with the standard watch - is it just a special colour scheme or more different?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What’s the history behind this - you fancied a special edition for yourselves and others (a group of some sort?) contacted CW and they agreed?

Not familiar with the standard watch - is it just a special colour scheme or more different?
    Apparently the watch is "The watch that became a worldwide phenomenon. Enabled by our pioneering FS01 module above the Sellita SW200-1, the C1 Bel Canto sounds a chime every hour. Constructed in Grade 5 titanium, it was described as a “masterpiece” by Watchfinder & Co."

Apart from the colour I'm not sure what other differences there are from the standard watches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Yes that's correct, a bespoke for a car club.

Mechanically and structurally identical to any Bel Canto, but limited to 99 pieces and with different dial, hands and case-back.

There also 300 limited Azzurro and 300 limited Verde, plus a few other bespokes e.g. the matt gold coloured dial one.

There are LOT of reviews on Bel Canto on YT. This one for example:

https://youtu.be/G9RwelExeQk?si=e9a5OEVC0miHE7_T
    Last edited by JasH; 22nd October 2023 at 15:00.

^ That makes more sense. I think your club has the best colour of the bunch. I look forward to seeing live wrist shots in due course.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    ^ That makes more sense. I think your club has the best colour of the bunch. I look forward to seeing live wrist shots in due course.
    Thank you kindly :)