closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC 'Black Aces' Pilot 41

Journeyman

IWC 'Black Aces' Pilot 41

Bit of a sleeper release, or perhaps IWC just isn't a particularly well-loved brand nowadays. I've only managed to find a couple of YouTube hands on vids, and no proper reviews. Has anyone here picked one up?

There's something about it that really appeals to me; the mix of novelty and utility, perhaps. My collection is missing a full lume dial, and this one is a pretty distinctive execution.

Pricing is a bit keen at £6350 and being an online exclusive is irksome, 50.8mm lug lug seems very long, given the diameter and I'd want to try one for size.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

I really don't see the point of this unless you have an Aces connection - I'd prefer the dial without the Aces logo. Incidentally, the Aces team had already designed their version of the watch (see link), although I prefer this cleaner no-date version.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/com...oms/?rdt=61169

I also find the WR disappointing given it has a screw-down crown (I accept that this is not a diver's watch, but still), and the strap and basic buckle seem a bit cheap for a £6-7k watch. But, maybe I'm just not the target IWC customer.

I do like the full Lume dial - reminds me of my previous Oris.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't get these co-branded watches ... without the aces thing it would have appeal.

I tried a Brietling Top Time on the other day; this one https://www.breitling.com/fr-en/watc...1/AB01764A1C1/

I quite liked it but once he pointed out the Triumph co-branding that killed it ... I said to him as much and he looked confused ... I said I don't own a Triumph and would want to pretend I did or have their logo on my watch ...

Unless you a flying F18Es off a carrier I don’t really see the point. - I say that as a collector of issued military watches. It’s not ugly and VFA-41 do have a cool squadron badge but it’s a bit niche

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really don’t like it. What with that non-matching crown and the naff logo, if it didn’t have IWC written on it I’d have assumed this was a £300 watch.

I expect the quality is more apparent if you see it in person, as it usually is with IWC.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I really don't see the point of this unless you have an Aces connection - I'd prefer the dial without the Aces logo. Incidentally, the Aces team had already designed their version of the watch (see link), although I prefer this cleaner no-date version.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/com...oms/?rdt=61169

I also find the WR disappointing given it has a screw-down crown (I accept that this is not a diver's watch, but still), and the strap and basic buckle seem a bit cheap for a £6-7k watch. But, maybe I'm just not the target IWC customer.

I do like the full Lume dial - reminds me of my previous Oris.
    I hadn't seen that Reddit thread. Thanks for the link.
    I agree, the WR isn't great. Interestingly, though, the IWC site (https://www.iwc.com/en/specials/water-resistant.html) seems to suggest that 6 bar is fine for snorkeling

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk