closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cars, but which one? petrol/diesel heads your advice is sort.

Hybrid View

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Have to say I don`t share the OPs enthusiasm for a car that size, congested roads and pitifully small car parking spaces make owning something large a pain. 12 years ago I fancied a big car, I`ve always liked Jaguars and considered an XJ6 (Arthur Daley syndrome, I had ambitions to be a watch dealer too) but bought a Jag XF instead, a car I still own. At a tad over 16' it isn`t small, but I really wouldn't want anything bigger or wider.

If I was the OP I`d be tempted to hang on to the current car, my Jag's coming up to 13 years old and it still ticks enough boxes for me.

Why not buy a classic car as a toy instead and keep the present car as an everyday driver? It works for me, a 1970 MGB Roadster with uprated engine is fun on a sunny day and I can take it apart when required, all part of the hobby. OP's got 'previous' with older cars and DIY, maybe a classic is the way to go?

Problem is finding a good classic at sensible money thesedays, and you do have to be prepared to get the tools out on a frequent basis.
    Sensible advice, the width can be a pain in the bum too. I suspect the difference between an e class and s class on refinement is going to be really marginal as the driver. I'd look at a CLS to get something mega refined, but interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bestofthebest View Post
    Sensible advice, the width can be a pain in the bum too. I suspect the difference between an e class and s class on refinement is going to be really marginal as the driver. I'd look at a CLS to get something mega refined, but interesting.
    Which would be the best spec E Class?
    From research is seems that the car should have Air Body Control, so its ride is similar to the S Class.

Check out the Jaguar XJL Autobiography if you can. I ran one last year, £25k for a 2016 model with circa 30/40k miles on the clock. £100k car when new, immense 3.0tdi, every conceivable luxury you can think of this car has got it. Every review raves about the drive. I absolutely loved the interior. Quilted seats like the Bentleys, heated/cooled seats/steering wheel. Massage seats. TVs in the rear. Electric blinds. A truly luxurious car for dare I say it a fraction of its original price. It would be my shout over the many many S class, 7 series and Audis on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Check out the Jaguar XJL Autobiography if you can. I ran one last year, £25k for a 2016 model with circa 30/40k miles on the clock. £100k car when new, immense 3.0tdi, every conceivable luxury you can think of this car has got it. Every review raves about the drive. I absolutely loved the interior. Quilted seats like the Bentleys, heated/cooled seats/steering wheel. Massage seats. TVs in the rear. Electric blinds. A truly luxurious car for dare I say it a fraction of its original price. It would be my shout over the many many S class, 7 series and Audis on the road.
    \

Great car…terrible engine, cranks made of cheese.

Cars, but which one? petrol/diesel heads your advice is sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    \

If I have learned anything from your wise posts, it is to avoid anything JLR like the plague.

Seems like you have earned a good life out of the sh1teness of JLR cars. I mean that in a nice way.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    If I have learned anything from your wise posts, it is to avoid anything JLR like the plague.

Seems like you have earned a good life out of the sh1teness of JLR cars. I mean that in a nice way.
    Sadly i don't make a penny out of rebuilding 3.0ltr engines, JLR in their wisdom don't sell major engine components in the UK and only the States and Spain. Not only that they've never release technical data so we don't touch them.
    However yes good old Land Rover have kept us very busy over the years…..no offence taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    \

Seems to get a decent review on the jaguar forums. They seem to think preventative maintenance is a good move in keeping the car roadworthy and I must say I really enjoyed the engine/drive. Albeit I didn’t have it long enough to encounter any issues.