Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
Just did a tiny bit of maths and if you HAVE to get an upgrade every year isn't it cheaper to buy outright and then trade in in a year's time?
Do the upgrade programme and the cost of the 15 with 256GB before getting the (16?) next year is £47.95 x 12 (you're eligible for an upgrade after 11 payments but assuming you buy on release day you have to wait 12 months for the next phone to be released) = £575.40
If you have a good condition 14 256GB to trade in you get £430 trade in price. Cost of 15 256GB is £899. £899-£430 = £469 over the year. If you want the Apple Care it's an extra £129 which would make it more expensive but assuming you don't need to actually use that every year you'd easily save enough to cover the odd repair cost.
I've had 6 iPhones and had to have two repairs over that time. One was covered by the official warranty. The other was the only time I ever smashed the screen and it was £135 to have an unofficial but high-quality replacement fitted. By not having Apple Care over the years I'm still well up financially.
Interesting. Thank you. Didn’t look at it like that. Actually I normally upgrade after 2 years and currently on a 13 and now looking at a 15 Pro but trying to avoid the big outlay. Think I’d be better off chopping in the 13 with Apple and doing the balance interest free over 24 months which I think is £999-£390 = £609/24 = £25.38. I agree the Apple Care is probably not worth it especially as I have phone insurance with my bank.