Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
15 years old on a night out in Plymouth is terrifying. For everyone concerned!
I still have my Dolphins in a drawer somewhere. I did two consecutive watches on top of the fin at night when the boat was running on the surface, as dogsbody to the officer on duty up there. I had my nav so was able to be of actual use, but I was only up there for all those hours ducking the gophers because it was one of only two places on the boat you could smoke. When I came down to the wardroom, sodden, the XO and others there lined up and he said something like: "Obviously you're not a submariner, but we've decided you are stupid enough to be a submariner", and then they presented me with a set of Dolphins in a glass of rum. They were a great bunch, except when playing uckers, when they were without doubt the worst bunch of timber-shifting bastards I've ever met.

I had to look that up.

https://www.forces.net/news/uckers-w...litary-play-it

My grandad played dominos and drunk lots or rum (on shore) to pass the time (if they had any with U boats around) in WW2.

In the Army we had a few games in the NAAFI bar.

"Beer checkers (also known as shotglass checkers, shot glass checkers or beercheckers) is a two player drinking game. A variant of normal checkers (or draughts), it is played on a standard checkerboard (or chess board), using shot glasses of beer in place of the regular playing pieces."

We used shots instead of beer

All drinks in Germany where doubles to start with,one would be whites with Vodka and one black with rum in a glass as counters.

Every one of your opponents counters you took he had to drink,a King would be a quadruple.

It got very messy.