closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Maldives it is Paradise

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Possibly have a thought eh,

https://sites.manchester.ac.uk/every...ountry%20faces.

otherwise it'll be Paradise Lost for residents and holiday makers, in quite likely only a couple of decades.
    Thanks for the cheery reality check when the thread was celebrating the beauty.

Last time I looked the climate crisis affects us all and so I hope you are doing your bit with not using Air con or heating the pool!

Master
    Blog Entries
    My dad had a year out there for free,it wasnt paradise after a week and the novelty wore of.

I seem to remember he said they changed shirts at least 3 times a day.

There was very little to do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Gan

We went for 10 days for my 40th, wife and 2 young kids (7 and 6) to the Sun Siyam Olhuvei and it was great. The house reef was nice, the reef was grey in places as pollution has killed some of it off. We swam with turtles on the first day, one day came across a group of reef sharks, about 5-6 sharks around 5 foot and the kids loved all the experiences. We took an underwater camera and got some great footage. The hotel was well suited for kids which is the main reason we choose it.

The hotel was nice, and it really was paradise, also did not cost that much, we paid £8k for a 10 day, all inclusive, beach villa with a pool. This was a lot for us but we decided it was worth it for my 40th.

Trips and things to do were very expensive, with a larger budget we could have done loads more, whale shark trips etc, we did a sunset dolphin cruise and that was great.

With a small budget there isn't a lot to do apart from the pool and beach, but it was still an amazing experience.

I would go back again, just need to make some more money first!

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post

Last time I looked the climate crisis affects us all and so I hope you are doing your bit with not using Air con or heating the pool!
    Heating the pool, r u mad, get's up to 30 c plus naturally in July/ August, we close over winter as it's over a 100 thousand litres, just doesn't make economic sense, the wife and nipper wouldn't get in without wetsuits unless it 27/28 c plus and I sea swim anyway...RE AC about 3 months and only in the bedrooms, ceiling fans downstairs and we live mostly outside in the porch by the pool summers.
    No long haul flight for me last year either and I'm not a big buyer, consumer of stuff, so I'd hope somewhat lower footprint there.
    Last edited by Passenger; 12th January 2024 at 10:13.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post

It does, but it affects some more than others.

It does look like a beautiful place, but horrifying to think it will be under water this century if things play out like we think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

It does look like a beautiful place, but horrifying to think it will be under water this century if things play out like we think.
    This was in the media when I first went in 1984, the area was predicted to loose land every year etc., etc. - most of it is still there I believe.

Point to note, it also (miraculously) mostly survived the tsunami.

Of course it's fragile, it's part of it's beauty.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    This was in the media when I first went in 1984, the area was predicted to loose land every year etc., etc. - most of it is still there I believe.

I'm no expert but it sounds like they've been hoovering sand up of the sea floor and pumping onto the beaches with consequent damage to the fragile marine habitat...

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I'm no expert but it sounds like they've been hoovering sand up of the sea floor and pumping onto the beaches with consequent damage to the fragile marine habitat...
    But you are an expert - always hoovering up the joy/fun and spreading misery wherever you can......

https://blogs.worldbank.org/endpover...25%20literacy.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 12th January 2024 at 10:21.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

But you are an expert - always hoovering up the joy/fun and spreading misery wherever you can.
    Chris the place is sinking/ eroding, whilst drowning in plastic waste, I believe these are COP topics so hardly not a problem, ''still mostly there'' as you've speculated. honestly if you're that impacted by some plonker on the internet offering an alternate albeit fact based pov, maybe you need better, more robust, sustainable fun sources...be happy, irrespective of what others say/ write but don't you seek to silence people...heck fwiw I made Daddel laugh earlier on his way to work!

Join the world bank, borrow from the world bank...bloody impressive literacy level.
    Last edited by Passenger; 12th January 2024 at 10:31.

Master

Islands can of course survive a one off event like a tsunami, but they won’t survive rising sea levels, I don’t think that’s even up for discussion.

Yes, it’s taking time, but the Maldives and some other island chains will be impacted even more dramatically in the next few decades before probably disappearing altogether.

Us humans are expert at can kicking though.

I’d love to go and see the place, just looking at the pictures on this thread does that, and I do like to support poor economies with my ‘Western dollar’, but that would probably mean staying away from the resort islands.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

Better get there quick then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Better get there quick then.
    And take your wellies.

I went to Filitheyo a few years back and day 1 was perfect, absolutely stunning, then from day 2 until day 16 it constantly rained and put me off :-(

Also I vaguely remember very large bats coming out at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxyadam View Post
    fruit bats are wonderful. There were loads on Soneva Sushi when we there back in the earliest days of "barefoot luxury". Some wonderful diving (even post the devastating 1998 El Niño event). Finally saw some manta ray on the last day - which was lucky, as the guy that ran the dive shop had *guaranteed* sightings and stood to lose a few quid in dive fees!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Let me just say there are no plastic bottles anywhere on the resort islands, they were banned quite a few years ago. All transport is battery powered. The locals are aware of the fragility of their islands and really do all they can to keep it above the sea level

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxyadam View Post
    I went to Filitheyo a few years back and day 1 was perfect, absolutely stunning, then from day 2 until day 16 it constantly rained and put me off :-(

That happened to us when we went to the Lake district.

First day to hot to breathe the rest of the week even the ducks where fed up with getting wet.