closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Sopranos. 25 yrs ago this week

Hybrid View

Craftsman
    Probably my favourite show of all time. Watched the whole series multiple times and never gets old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    Probably my favourite show of all time. Watched the whole series multiple times and never gets old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes, 'artistic highlights' (as I would call them; perhaps there's another term I don't know of) tend to be with us, even when they get older. I mean, who would have thought that The Sopranos aired a quarter of century ago! It's still good as new! Bohemian Rhapsody (1975), Terminator (1984), Back to the Future (1985) are -for me- other examples of 'artistic highlights'.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Sometimes, 'artistic highlights' (as I would call them; perhaps there's another term I don't know of) tend to be with us, even when they get older. I mean, who would have thought that The Sopranos aired a quarter of century ago! It's still good as new! Bohemian Rhapsody (1975), Terminator (1984), Back to the Future (1985) are -for me- other examples of 'artistic highlights'.
    Good list ''T'', little nod to the Sopranos' there capeesh...I'd also suggest The Matrix in '99 as an artistic highlight, one that reset the bar.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Good list ''T'', little nod to the Sopranos' there capeesh...I'd also suggest The Matrix in '99 as an artistic highlight, one that reset the bar.
    That's a nice one. Indeed, the Matrix should be on the list as well. Good that you mention that. I remember going to the cinema with my wife and we looked at each other after the opening scene with the Trinity character and we both said "Wow!" at the same time.

I discussed these 'highlights' with my wife and she noted that nothing looks outdated. Fashion/clothing perhaps, an old model phone too, but all the highlights I mentioned are 'timeless' for that matter. That's why the opening credits of the Sopranos I posted are still there, even today. I know that Chevrolet did an electric car commercial in that style too. All tv shows mentioned here as highlights try to capture the development of characters. 'Round characters' is the phrase we use in Dutch - translated into English.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    That's a nice one. Indeed, the Matrix should be on the list as well. Good that you mention that. I remember going to the cinema with my wife and we looked at each other after the opening scene with the Trinity character and we both said "Wow!" at the same time.

I discussed these 'highlights' with my wife and she noted that nothing looks outdated. Fashion/clothing perhaps, an old model phone too, but all the highlights I mentioned are 'timeless' for that matter. That's why the opening credits of the Sopranos I posted are still there, even today. I know that Chevrolet did an electric car commercial in that style too. All tv shows mentioned here as highlights try to capture the development of characters. 'Round characters' is the phrase we use in Dutch - translated into English.
    Yes I loved the Sopranos credits and that fabulous theme tune, a Brixton band iirc. I worked in commercial/ industrial real estate in Philly and definitely recall the look of S. Philly, pizza and hoagie shops, the Italian market also. Got down to the Jersey shore on weekends so know the look of that area, the boardwalk, how abandoned it feels out of season and drove past those pine barrens, one place you sure don't wanna stop.
    I think the Sopranos had the time, bandwidth, writing and sheer acting talent to allow virtually all the characters to become well rounded, to have their own story arcs. Remains the best for me.

I've never been a huge fan of US Gangster things.

Some of the period movies, I've liked, but, for instance, The Godfather movies were OK, but I've never felt any urge to rewatch them.

As such, neither The Sopranos or Breaking Bad have ever really appealed.

I tried The Wire a couple of times, but couldn't get into it (I found the dialogue impenetrable!)

Mad Men LOOKED great, but after watching all of it I was left wondering why I'd bothered.

Another series people rave about is True Detective, so I tried watching the first episode of that and found my attention wandering off.

I do have a cold, so I've decided to come back to it sometime, perhaps.

Perhaps, though, the whole environment is just too alien for me to really engage with?

Suggestions (elsewhere) to 'watch all season 1 and then you'll get into it by half way through season 2' (of something) haven't really inspired me either.

Series like Hill Street Blues and the later The Shield were big favourites of mine, though.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 20th January 2024 at 16:38.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Snowman, the True Detective series are all stand alone shows - new story, new cast, new setting... completely separate to what's gone before. I enjoyed the first series, didn't really enjoy the second but loved the third.
    We watched episode 1 of the new series last night and while it looks intriguing I'm not feeling any chemistry or charisma from either of the two leads. It's too soon to write it off of course but I had high hopes when I saw Jodie Foster attached to the project.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Snowman, the True Detective series are all stand alone shows - new story, new cast, new setting... completely separate to what's gone before. I enjoyed the first series, didn't really enjoy the second but loved the third.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    We watched episode 1 of the new series last night and while it looks intriguing I'm not feeling any chemistry or charisma from either of the two leads. It's too soon to write it off of course but I had high hopes when I saw Jodie Foster attached to the project.
    Yes, I knew they were separate storylines for each series, a bit like Fargo (I'm hoping the next series will end up on terrestrial TV sometime as I'm not paying for Prime for it, but the trailer looked far more promising than the last series, which we gave up on very quickly), but it was Jodie Foster's inclusion in the latest one that encouraged me to take a look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    We took many tries until it clicked. Worked on the fact there must be something amazing to have had so many series. By my own logic I’m going back to the slowest series ever next week; The Wire, as can’t have been as bad as I’ve seen it as!
    On that basis Coronation Street must be the best programme on TV!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?