The Sopranos is my favourite ever series.

The acting, writing, casting, music and cinematography are all top-notch.

On re-watch you can idly enjoy the action, humour and plotting on a surface level or dig a bit deeper to notice new things even after several times around. It’s a rewarding show with a lot of symbolism and big themes.

The ‘Talking Sopranos’ podcast with cast members Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirippa analyses each episode individually and is an excellent companion on re-watch.

The Wire is next best for me, although at times it has been higher than The Sopranos in my estimation. I think I’ve finally cemented The Sopranos at No.1 by considering which of the two series I’d bring to a desert island, if I could have only one - on the basis that whilst The Wire can be hilarious, The Sopranos is the more purely enjoyable/fun of the two.

Mad Men is also a phenomenal piece of work, I don’t think I’ve watched a film or TV series that was a more fascinating human character study.

Gomorrah (Italian language), about the Camorra in Naples, is also a devastating and utterly brilliant show, and makes the mafia of The Sopranos look almost cuddly by comparison.

Notable mentions to: Succession, Band of Brothers, Breaking Bad, The Shield, Blackbird, Narcos, Game of Thrones, Chernobyl, Boardwalk Empire, Andor, Deadwood & Father Ted.