closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car Insurance Shock!

Hybrid View

Master
    Done a requote with the same insurer I am currently with on my old 5 series.. last year's renewal (May 2023) was £320... They are telling me this year £800! I haven't made any claims, no points, got years worth of no claims... It's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Possibly. When I was getting quotes of around £550-£600 for a McLaren, the BMW i8 was coming in at £800+

I’m just a little surprised that the McLaren is coming in at almost 4 times the price of quotes from only 2-3 years ago. The only other brand I’ve seen climb as much has been JLR due to the number of Range Rovers being far too easily stolen.
    As has been said before, algorithms, I would bet the popularity of McLarens has increased ( influencers innit )with corresponding crash rate.
    Cheers..
    Jase

In The Guardian today

Average car insurance cost in UK nears £1,000 after prices rise 58%

Young drivers face huge increases as soaring costs help push up inflation

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...rise-inflation

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    In The Guardian today

Average car insurance cost in UK nears £1,000 after prices rise 58%

Young drivers face huge increases as soaring costs help push up inflation

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...rise-inflation
    As far as I can see (from the telly) the number of uninsured drivers is increasing - could there be a connection?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    As far as I can see (from the telly) the number of uninsured drivers is increasing - could there be a connection?
    Possibly with cost of living increases that many are chopping insurance and the increases in insurance - will further that figure.

Then, if not already done - the more claims against the industry for non-insured drivers, the loading of 'risky' categories of drivers becomes skewed, and the general cost increases rather than loading the higher risks

Master
    Blog Entries
    With all the cameras how do people get away with it? The Police know what’s happening but don’t apply resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    With all the cameras how do people get away with it? The Police know what’s happening but don’t apply resources.
    Basic penalty is £300 and six points. Opposed to a few grand for an insurance quote the maths may look attractive to some.
    Of course this is just the fixed penalty, if it goes to court or you knock someone down for example things change drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Well I am not sure they do TBH. My in-laws changed their car just before Xmas and due to some confusion forgot to tell their insurance company. After about 4 weeks of ownership they received a letter from the Police indicating that records were showing that the vehicle was uninsured. The letter was an 'advisory/warning' but concluded with a statement indicating that failure to correct this would result in prosecution. They were not stopped by Police so presumably CCTV with ANPR has triggered this?.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Well I am not sure they do TBH. My in-laws changed their car just before Xmas and due to some confusion forgot to tell their insurance company. After about 4 weeks of ownership they received a letter from the Police indicating that records were showing that the vehicle was uninsured. The letter was an 'advisory/warning' but concluded with a statement indicating that failure to correct this would result in prosecution. They were not stopped by Police so presumably CCTV with ANPR has triggered this?.
    More likely a letter generated by the Motor Insurance Database that flagged a car that hasn’t been declared SORN but without insurance against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I think they were quite lucky. I think if you actually get stopped you end up with £300 fine and 6-points. Happened to a mate who was out of the country for about 8-months, came back and forgot his insurance had lapsed. I think the only way you can get away with it is on an autorenewal error where your insurance company agrees to renew and backdate the insurance.

It's probably a circle, but I suspect the number of uninsured drivers is the effect rather than the main cause of insurance price rises. I can imagine quite a few people on the breadline with an unaffordable insurance bill but reliant on a car will take a risk.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    It's probably a circle, but I suspect the number of uninsured drivers is the effect rather than the main cause of insurance price rises. I can imagine quite a few people on the breadline with an unaffordable insurance bill but reliant on a car will take a risk.
    I’ve heard of a few around here that couldn’t afford to repair their cars just got them to a secluded spot and torched them and reported them stolen. Insurance pays out they get a new car with warranty. Car crime isn’t a high priority here.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I expect it to soar in the coming year.

The MIB (Motor Insurers' Bureau) site says it adds about £53 to insurance so...