closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Sopranos. 25 yrs ago this week

Hybrid View

I'm a huge fan of the Sopranos, which would be number 1 for me. Have seen it five times and it bears repeated viewings. Love the other programmes on the thread except never got into Breaking Bad. Is Better Caul Saul really that good compared to the Sopranos?! Do I need to have watched Breaking Bad to see it?

Am really enjoying Suburrae at the moment.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the Sopranos, which would be number 1 for me. Have seen it five times and it bears repeated viewings. Love the other programmes on the thread except never got into Breaking Bad. Is Better Caul Saul really that good compared to the Sopranos?! Do I need to have watched Breaking Bad to see it?

You don't need to have watched BB to enjoy BCS, but you'd miss out on loads. BB just gets better as the series progress. BCS has two of the greatest TV episodes ever.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    You don't need to have watched BB to enjoy BCS, but you'd miss out on loads. BB just gets better as the series progress. BCS has two of the greatest TV episodes ever.
    I tried twice to get into BB... Could give it another go I suppose. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    If you haven't seen Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, an interesting question comes up: which sequence?

We know that BCS was a spin-off from BB and that the writers of BCS steered the plot towards BB. But there's a lot to say for the chronological sequence: Better Call Saul first and Breaking Bad second. It's really a Star Wars-sequence-problem.

All series mentioned here are really big when it comes to character development. And the way the writers -causually- present the changes of the character to the audience. A good example are the books by the Swedish couple Sjöwall and Wahlöö. Martin Beck's character changes over time. Quite a few Scandinavian writers are heroes when it comes to observations of mankind. *)

There's a book by a Dutch writer, Leon de Winter, that tells the story of a Russian Jew living in Israel. His name is Sokolov. In Russia he was a rocket scientist. But pacifism and remorse made that he wanted to emigrate to Israel. There, he cannot find a proper job, due to his pacifistic believes. One day he sees a man he knew from Russia, committing a murder. And the murderer starts to threaten Sokolov because he was a witness. In the book, the pacifist slowly but surely drops his 'believes of pacifism' to protect his loved ones. In the end, Sokolov blows up a complete apartment building with the pre mentioned murderer in it. The rocket scientist gets away with it because it happened during the period that S. Hussein dropped SCUD rockets on Israel and many think it was a rocket that hit the building. (It was, but not a SCUD...).

The interesting part is that every time Sokolov moves up on the scale of violence, the audience (readers) move along with him. "Well yeah, I would do the same!" (...).
    Last edited by thieuster; 17th January 2024 at 15:42.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post

If Sopranos is 100% peak, I'd rate BCS a 93%, Succession 93%, Mad Men 95% and The Wire 97%. Ozark I'd put at 91%.

Just started Yellowstone and it looks like a certainty to be in my top 10.

From what I've read, West Wing is superb and I've regularly meant to get into it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by stefmcd; 17th January 2024 at 17:13.