closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Penknives

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    When I know it’s time to clear up the rights-of-ways I go with secateurs, Laplander and Gransfors Bruk too. But a pocket knife takes less volume for most walks.
    Maybe a bit OT, but I’d love to see if you have any Finnish knives. I surmise the Laplander you mentioned might be one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Maybe a bit OT, but I’d love to see if you have any Finnish knives. I surmise the Laplander you mentioned might be one.
    Those in the know love a Puukko for the outdoors.

Ooh a Kallioniemi. I am sweating unnaturally!

Joonas' work is perfect full stop. Feels superb in the hand. Such a shame he stopped making them (unless he started again).

The other one is from Lapland as you would have guessed, but I do not know much about it.
    I had a similar reindeer horn knife as a kid. I have no idea where I got it or what has happened to it. As also yours it had a souvenir like quality. Decent craftsmanship but by no means the work of a master. I admit that I know next to nothing about Saami culture, which that clearly is or tries to look like. For all I know that might be a long lost ceremonial knife of ancient gods. The factory made blade suggests otherwise though. I can’t make out what is stenciled on the blade, might be a clue there.

Sincerely yours,
    Captain Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Those in the know love a Puukko for the outdoors.

*snip
    You may be right, but after looking through that video I’d hazard a guess that no one in that video can be said to be in the know, save maybe the quiet salesman behind the counter.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a similar reindeer horn knife as a kid. I have no idea where I got it or what has happened to it. As also yours it had a souvenir like quality. Decent craftsmanship but by no means the work of a master. I admit that I know next to nothing about Saami culture, which that clearly is or tries to look like. For all I know that might be a long lost ceremonial knife of ancient gods. The factory made blade suggests otherwise though. I can’t make out what is stenciled on the blade, might be a clue there.

Sincerely yours,
    Captain Obvious

You may be right, but after looking through that video I’d hazard a guess that no one in that video can be said to be in the know, save maybe the quiet salesman behind the counter.
    It was so you could see all the variations in one space,not for the tourist.

I like that Marttiini. The birch handle gives it a Finnish flair. I still have my Benchmade Megumi I bought back in 2015 thanks to this forum. I don’t know why I can’t seem to use it. I’ll rather have a Victorinox SAK or a small Opinel than the Benchmade.

Sincerely yours,
    Captain Obvious.

I am not sure the blade is factory made as it is "brut de forge" unlike the polished edge but it could be. It seems very well made and the knife clicks in place when sheathed although there is nothing but reindeer horn inside; it's pinned rather than just glued so someone spent a very long time on it. It is in any case indeed a souvenir as it bears the "Sami Duodji" mark.
    I struggle to read the stamp on the blade. It looks like J??am with a cursive L at the end. the 2"?" are in a narrow place but 3 distinctive vertical strokes, so one of them could be "i" and maybe the other "h" in either order, but this is pure guesswork
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I am not sure the blade is factory made as it is "brut de forge" unlike the polished edge but it could be. It seems very well made and the knife clicks in place when sheathed although there is nothing but reindeer horn inside; it's pinned rather than just glued so someone spent a very long time on it. It is in any case indeed a souvenir as it bears the "Sami Duodji" mark.
    I struggle to read the stamp on the blade. It looks like J??am with a cursive L at the end. the 2"?" are in a narrow place but 3 distinctive vertical strokes, so one of them could be "i" and maybe the other "h" in either order, but this is pure guesswork
    Forget about it. Just had a quick google and it’s bloody Swedish. Ingvar Svonni, an artist born in 1943.

https://www.mutualart.com/Artist/Ing...BC86BA459FED1C

Interestingly enough, there are several Svonnis making similar knives. Your Ingvar of course, and also Gunnar Svonni, Olav Svonni and Algot Erling Svonni to name a few. Apparently a prominent Saami family with knife making and artistry running in the blood. I guess I judged the quality of your item a little hastily.

Wow

First my apologies for mistaking a Swedish knife as Finnish. My only defence is that Sami people do not exactly differ on either side of the border.
    Secondly, thank you very much for your research. Much appreciated, a bit ashamed not to have done my own homework.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Wow

First my apologies for mistaking a Swedish knife as Finnish. My only defence is that Sami people do not exactly differ on either side of the border.
    Secondly, thank you very much for your research. Much appreciated, a bit ashamed not to have done my own homework.
    Cheers, I’m sure what you say about Sami culture is true. In general Finland is culturally very close to Sweden and that is especially so when it comes to knives. I was just trying to make fun of our eternal rivalry that is mostly good spirited.