closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any advise on family holiday in UK?

Hybrid View

Ah! The excitement of visiting third world countries!
    Just make sure your health insurance includes access to private care.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Great advice, just one big ray of sunshine.

Get off the tunnel in Folkstone and drive until you see this sign>

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Ah the sunshine border (as my Scottish friend calls it). Quite accurate too in my experience. Beyond that sign you'll need thermals and your big coat, unless you go in Summer and you'll need to pack your Midge nets too.

My advice is....don't do it. The weather will be awful to horrendous, everything's too expensive and nothing works properly. Honestly, go to a different country. Maybe think about a London city break for a few nights but don't waste your annual holiday here.

Hmmm, I wonder how long the drive from Dover to Cornwall would take in peak season? Days

As JonRA suggested, I would look at Suffolk and Norfolk – lovely beaches, mostly clean sea and good beer (if that's your thing). On the way back, stop for a couple of nights in Cambridge, then onto London for a few nights.

If you were intent on the South West, then Dorset and Devon are lovely, with clean beaches and sea, plus beautiful surrounding landscapes or cities if you want a change.

Cornwall is vastly overrated IMO and full of knobbers during summer.

I think you have made good choices, the Cotswolds and west to the Brecons.

I have always liked the areas going west into the borders. Forest of Dean (wild pigs), Wye Valley (canoeing), Brecons (wild horses), Usk Valley, Monmouth and Brecon Canal and north along Offa's Dyke and the Shropshire Hills. Opportunities for relaxing walking, cycling and on the water.

If you are in London, see the sights, but maybe a day in an outer borough to see a different side. In Richmond great views from the fabulous park back to the city (there's a binocular viewing point) and on Richmond Hill looking out at the Thames running from the south and west. Very nice walk or cycling along the Thames here, either to Teddington and further on to Hampton Court or the other way to Kew Gardens.

Blog Entries
    I mean who would choose to live here?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m a fan of the Jurassic coast.
    We stayed in Charmouth for years. Just along was Lyme Regis. Both lovely. You’re on the doorstep of Devon too. If keeping a little nearer to the action, the New Forest is excellent. If you want a stop over when you get to Dover, pop up to Deal. Cracking little town.

As above, Southwold is nice too

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Cornwall is lovely but as you invited suggestions for alternative destinations, if you arrive in Harwich, you have East Anglia (Norfolk and Suffolk) on your doorstep - there are lovely beaches, towns and villages to explore without a very long drive to the south-west. A short hop to the Cotswolds and London as well.
    Good advice, thanks. It's just that my wife isn't looking forward to the ferry crossing, so the shorter the better. I'll look into it though.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I think you have made good choices, the Cotswolds and west to the Brecons.

I have always liked the areas going west into the borders. Forest of Dean (wild pigs), Wye Valley (canoeing), Brecons (wild horses), Usk Valley, Monmouth and Brecon Canal and north along Offa's Dyke and the Shropshire Hills. Opportunities for relaxing walking, cycling and on the water.

If you are in London, see the sights, but maybe a day in an outer borough to see a different side. In Richmond great views from the fabulous park back to the city (there's a binocular viewing point) and on Richmond Hill looking out at the Thames running from the south and west. Very nice walk or cycling along the Thames here, either to Teddington and further on to Hampton Court or the other way to Kew Gardens.
    Thank you, that's very helpful. I'll do my research.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Hehe, will do someday but not this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder how long the drive from Dover to Cornwall would take in peak season? Days

As JonRA suggested, I would look at Suffolk and Norfolk – lovely beaches, mostly clean sea and good beer (if that's your thing). On the way back, stop for a couple of nights in Cambridge, then onto London for a few nights.

If you were intent on the South West, then Dorset and Devon are lovely, with clean beaches and sea, plus beautiful surrounding landscapes or cities if you want a change.

Cornwall is vastly overrated IMO and full of knobbers during summer.
    Thanks for that. I was worried about that, but this:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I’m a fan of the Jurassic coast.
    We stayed in Charmouth for years. Just along was Lyme Regis. Both lovely. You’re on the doorstep of Devon too. If keeping a little nearer to the action, the New Forest is excellent. If you want a stop over when you get to Dover, pop up to Deal. Cracking little town.

As above, Southwold is nice too
    ...could be an answer to that, thanks.

Craftsman
    Forget the south, come north. Overnight ferry from Ijmuiden to Newcastle. You have Northumberland, Lake District, and the Scottish borders close by. Loads of beaches, activities and history to see and enjoy. Bring waterproofs though!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Indeed. I should know, I came to a lovely country, with a great health service, a respect for the environment... to name just a few and keep it to G&D standards.

To say things have change since 1997 in this respect is a bit of an understatement.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Indeed. I should know, I came to a lovely country, with a great health service, a respect for the environment... to name just a few and keep it to G&D standards.

To say things have change since 1997 in this respect is a bit of an understatement.
    You should have been here in the 50s/60s and see how it had changed by the late 90s !! :)

op: Norfolk can be very nice in places.

Blog Entries

I agree. 1997 seems to have been a turning point.

It was definitely after 2010 that things really started to collapse. Sigh!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It was definitely after 2010 that things really started to collapse. Sigh!

Blog Entries
    OP I would recommend Suffolk and Norfolk. Norfolk in the area around Sandringham all the way round to Southwold in Suffolk. Britain at it's best.

Craftsman
    OP I would recommend Suffolk and Norfolk. Norfolk in the area around Sandringham all the way round to Southwold in Suffolk. Britain at it's best.
    I was going to say very similar to this for nice places within easy reach. Both lovely.

People have short memories, there were some very dark times in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

The 2000s were like a utopia in comparison to today.

Oligarchs and International criminals because of the London laundromat, everything is for sale for enough money, and the pay to play nature of the politics...Also the worlds most desperate folks fleeing persecution and regional instabilities, instabilities sometimes though not exclusively in fairness, caused or worsened by British actions. Well you did ask.

Second Stoo´s New Forest recommendation, fond memories of the Frogham and Hyde Country Fair, the Terrier racing is a hoot, diverse and interesting hiking options, some charming B and B´s, lovely pubs, guided pony trekking. I´ve been to Southwold, it´s alright if you don´t set your expectations too high.
    Bring plenty of money and wet weather gear. Good luck.
    Last edited by Passenger; 8th February 2024 at 10:53.

Could be a busy time in the car: Dover, New Forest, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, Bath, Cotswolds, Brecons, Snowdonia, East Anglia, York, Dales, Durham, Northumbria, Lake District and Scotland.

Could be a busy time in the car: Dover, New Forest, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, Bath, Cotswolds, Brecons, Snowdonia, East Anglia, York, Dales, Durham, Northumbria, Lake District and Scotland.
    That´s what I thought...guessing OP probably fancies a bit of chilling time, with nice views and a pint- meal...and not to be driving the whole time...the roads; CAMERAS; potholes!

Some serious winnowing of options; regions necessary:

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    That´s what I thought...guessing OP probably fancies a bit of chilling time, with nice views and a pint- meal...and not to be driving the whole time...the roads; CAMERAS; potholes!

Some serious winnowing of options; regions necessary:
    Haha, that's what I was thinking! My thoughts so far:
    - I'll stick to the travel schedule I outlined in my first post, probably with the addition of a first stop in the New Forest/Jurassic Coast. I'll explore some of the options mentioned (surfing on the north coast of Cornwall for example).
    - OR we take the ferry to Harwich, spend some time in Norfolk/Suffolk and travel north of London to the Cotswolds or Brecon Beacons.
    - I'd like to include Bath and/or Oxford in our schedule.

Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    Haha, that's what I was thinking! My thoughts so far:
    - I'll stick to the travel schedule I outlined in my first post, probably with the addition of a first stop in the New Forest/Jurassic Coast. I'll explore some of the options mentioned (surfing on the north coast of Cornwall for example).
    - OR we take the ferry to Harwich, spend some time in Norfolk/Suffolk and travel north of London to the Cotswolds or Brecon Beacons.
    - I'd like to include Bath and/or Oxford in our schedule.

Does that make sense?
    Makes sense. Dover, New Forest/Jurassic Coast, Cornwall, then back via Bath, Oxford and London. That’s quite a bit of driving but you can do it in a circuit, rather than zig-zagging all over the country.

Then I think you’ve got the next 3 years worth of holidays sorted in East Anglia, the Lake District, and Northumberland and Scotland in this thread too!