closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any advise on family holiday in UK?

Hybrid View

Jeez what a lot of negativity. The UK is a brilliant place to holiday with some amazing history, countryside and culture.

In my experience key places in the UK to visit are;

London (Ideally a few days)
    Cambridge
    Jurassic Coast
    Cotswolds
    Bath
    Lake District
    Edinburgh (and Scottish East Coast up to St Andrews - check out the Fish and Chips in Anstruther)
    Glasgow
    Scottish Highlands

I'm sure there's plenty I've missed but you'd not be disappointed going anywhere on that list.

If you planned a circuit from Dover taking in the following you’d see some nice places:

New Forest
    Salisbury, Old Sarum and Stonehenge
    Dorset
    Devon
    Bath
    Cotswolds
    Oxford
    London

If that’s too many stops, I’d say Bath and Oxford are definitely worth the visit, and pick somewhere on the coast to stay for a few days on the way.

Master
    Chippy in Anstruther has gone downhill IMO. Best I’ve had recently was from The Ashvale in Aberdeen. Bit of a trek mind you !!

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Chippy in Anstruther has gone downhill IMO. Best I’ve had recently was from The Ashvale in Aberdeen. Bit of a trek mind you !!
    Not tried the Anstruther, but did try the Ashvale around 12m ago - and didn't rate it at all. Living on past laurels.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Ah no really? Last time I was there was 2 years ago, eating haddock and chips sat in the car facing the harbour, rain belting it down outside, washing everything down with an ice cold Irn Bru. Genuinely one of the best meals of my life.

OP - if your kids enjoy beaches and a young surf vibe, then the north Cornwall coast may be great for you all. It is a beautiful part of the country (despite the summer crowds) and they could enrol in a surf school.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Jeez what a lot of negativity. The UK is a brilliant place to holiday with some amazing history, countryside and culture.
    I don't doubt it, and all the suggestions so far are really helpful, so thanks again and keep them coming. In the meantime I'll keep practicing my English to master the difference between advise and advice.

The UK is fantastic in Summer. Beaches, beer gardens and beautiful countryside.

Our place of choice in Summer is Cornwall; Carbis Bay, Sennen Cove, Porthcurno are the some of best beaches in the Country.

The Lake District is a worthy destination too. Scenery like Welsh mountains and The Scottish Highlands but with better pubs and generally more facilities.

Beaches in the north west of Scotland are stunning but they’re so remote, you need to take everything you might need with you. And the sea is freezing.

Small English cities are nicer than the larger places. York, Chester, Durham, Oxford, Bath and Cambridge all have charm and character.

London is obviously a must but go with a reason, ie to see a show, or visit the British Museum.

England’s south coast is generally a few degrees warmer than the North which makes it ideal for a few beach days. Small places like Salcomb offer a good mix of scenery and water based activities.

There’s still a huge chance that it will rain most if not all of the time during July and August. You can only spend so much time sheltering in pubs and coffee shops that are absolutely heaving as everyone’s trying to stay dry. We’ve had that in London, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Scotland and the north west. We love the Lake District but everyone knows it always rains there.

The food is also rubbish and overpriced.

We won’t waste any more time or money holidaying here. Give me somewhere warm with great culture, great food and places to visit everyday time. Where you can sit outside until the early hours, just relaxing and enjoying chill time. You can never do that here.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    The UK is fantastic in Summer. Beaches, beer gardens and beautiful countryside.

Our place of choice in Summer is Cornwall; Carbis Bay, Sennen Cove, Porthcurno are the some of best beaches in the Country.

The Lake District is a worthy destination too. Scenery like Welsh mountains and The Scottish Highlands but with better pubs and generally more facilities.

Beaches in the north west of Scotland are stunning but they’re so remote, you need to take everything you might need with you. And the sea is freezing.

Small English cities are nicer than the larger places. York, Chester, Durham, Oxford, Bath and Cambridge all have charm and character.

London is obviously a must but go with a reason, ie to see a show, or visit the British Museum.

England’s south coast is generally a few degrees warmer than the North which makes it ideal for a few beach days. Small places like Salcomb offer a good mix of scenery and water based activities.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 7th February 2024 at 22:17.

Blog Entries
    I read this with great interest! And figured out that every time I went to the UK, the weather was extremely good! The Autumn of '78 (apprentice in London): hot. With my wife to Scotland: dry and fair (late October). The Olympics in 2012: hot. And the UK Laser Championship in Devon, July 2018: scorching hot.

On my to-do list in the UK: sailing the Norfolk Broads with a traditional yacht.

You write that your kids are between 10 and 18 y/o. I know from experience that it's not the easiest age bracket for a cheerful holiday... I would certainly pick something that is a highlight to visit: London is one of course. Lots to see and do for older kids, but a camping near Bovisand or Down Tomas, southeast of Plymouth isn't very alluring for youngsters that age...

It's also worth checking if a crossing from (for us) Duinkerken to Dover isn't a better option when you write that a ferry crossing isn't high on your wife's list.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    It's also worth checking if a crossing from (for us) Duinkerken to Dover isn't a better option when you write that a ferry crossing isn't high on your wife's list.
    What's the problem with a ferry anyway? Hardly like sailing the Horn, few wreckers nowadays and it won't stop for the 'small boats'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What's the problem with a ferry anyway?
    Mainly that my wife gets sick from even looking at them.