Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
I spent a few days driving a DBX round Scotland and couldn't find a single thing about it that I enjoyed or even liked. It was too big for the roads and while it produced a decent amount of poke it was only good in a straight line. It was a proper mess to try to carry any speed into corners, very much a case of trying to drag 2+tons of weight down to a low enough speed to enter the corner (even with power steering it was not fun wrestling the thing through corners if you tried to carry even a reasonable amount of speed in) and then powering out (where the grip and ooomph were great, its only party trick). There was no skill in driving it, other than keeping it within the lines on the road. It looked rubbish and I felt embarrassed every time I was in it. Had it been a Vantage estate, on the other hand, and weighted a few hundred KG less, it would have been a lot better.

I've also spent some time in a new Range Rover and thought it was as far from what I want in a car as possible. Yes, you are ensconsed in a much more glamourous and technologically advanced interior than most living rooms and it's very comfortable but I don't want to be detached from the road or want to look down on other people. I actually enjoy driving. I've had fun in vans, cheap rental cars, ridiculous supercars and who knows what else. I've never had fun in an SUV*.

*Actually, I have, when I straightlined some corners at the Nurburgring in one. But that's only because it wasn't any good at going round corners.

I really like driving too but I think driving for enjoyment i.e. driving for the sake of driving and driving as part of another (essential) activity i.e. commuting etc. are very different things for most people.

My current commute consists of 2 miles to the M1, then about 60 miles on the (usually very busy) M1 and then 3 miles off and the reverse at the end of the day - thankfully only once or twice a week. For that commute I would certainly prefer a RR over a "sportier" car as I want to be detached from the road and as comfortable as possible, with a good infotainment system etc.

If my commute consisted of quiet country roads, I might have a very different view.