closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: More bike related stuff

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    With the Forest of Bowland I've just a vague plan
    Now getting that round trip into focus:

About 125 miles in total. Not expecting to see 6th gear very often.

You will on the down hill bits!

That'll be awesome :-)

Master

Be careful on the Ingleton the Dent road, its a gated road thats steep and cambered. Take care parking the bike at each gate, so it doesnt drop off its stand.

Having said that the decent and the view into Dentdale will literally take your breath away. A lovely route.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Be careful on the Ingleton the Dent road, its a gated road thats steep and cambered. Take care parking the bike at each gate, so it doesnt drop off its stand
    Thanks for that heads up, I'm good at missing them on the OS maps. By May I'll probably have done that stretch in opposite direction and will have Street Viewed my way along to prepare myself for this kind of fun.

The other day I had quite a moment finding the right angle to park at outside the Old Forge Tearooms in Hutton-le-Hole, that embarrassing couple of minutes has hopefully taught me the underlying principles I need to follow. At first it seemed counter-intuitive that you should be choosing to have the bike leaning more than usual rather than less.

In these deeply rural areas I'm finding that people are very generous and cheerful towards the L-plated biker, especially van drivers etc, I'll be sorry to see the back of the plates when the day comes.

I've now got a route for the Teesdale day, too, though at 135 miles it's a tiny bit longer than intended. Think I'll won't mess around on the outer days getting to and from Hawes from home, just save my energy for these two inner days.

Master
    Thanks for that heads up, I'm good at missing them on the OS maps. By May I'll probably have done that stretch in opposite direction and will have Street Viewed my way along to prepare myself for this kind of fun.

The other day I had quite a moment finding the right angle to park at outside the Old Forge Tearooms in Hutton-le-Hole, that embarrassing couple of minutes has hopefully taught me the underlying principles I need to follow. At first it seemed counter-intuitive that you should be choosing to have the bike leaning more than usual rather than less.

In these deeply rural areas I'm finding that people are very generous and cheerful towards the L-plated biker, especially van drivers etc, I'll be sorry to see the back of the plates when the day comes.

I've now got a route for the Teesdale day, too, though at 135 miles it's a tiny bit longer than intended. Think I'll won't mess around on the outer days getting to and from Hawes from home, just save my energy for these two inner days.
    ]
    There is a reason for my caution, each year up until this year UKGSER had a camp at Dent in May. It was a Friday to Sunday affair. One intrepid traveller turned up early on the Thursday choosing the Ingleton to Dent road. He misjudged his footing at one of the gates and fell into a ditch complete with his mighty steed. He was there for three hours until the next person came along! A 240 kgs GS bike complete with three nights camping gear is a trifle difficult to winkle out of a steep ditch.

He never lived it down and is reminded annually of his error. Some UK GS members on her may know him, he secret is safe with me ;) ;)
    Last edited by higham5; 16th March 2024 at 20:25.