closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First Porsche

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Wait, Porsche made the current 718 engine to have a 10 year max lifespan?? Where have you got that from??
    Not the engine, I mean the car in general! Amount of cost saving measures in various places is unreal - long gone are the days of cars being built by engineers not penny pinchers!

Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    Not the engine, I mean the car in general! Amount of cost saving measures in various places is unreal - long gone are the days of cars being built by engineers not penny pinchers!
    Well it felt pretty solid to me. I owned one during lockdown. My then gf bought and sold super cars. I'm not even kidding. We had all sorts on the drive. Lambos , GTRs, 488 Ferraris etc. We had a GTS 911 (think it was 2017 my) and tons of Cayman and Boxter 718s The 911 was incredible but at least twice the price. I don't recall the build quality being significantly better than the Cayman tbh. All the Porsches felt super well made including some of the older Caymans that passed through that had perhaps had a tougher life.
    Last edited by beechcustom; 20th March 2024 at 16:05.

I wonder if the 2016 718s know they only have 2 years left?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I wonder if the 2016 718s know they only have 2 years left?
    They know that Porsche will warranty them out to 2031, so they are chilled….

Master
    I have heard the same for a chap that details mainly Porsches. He stated the 981 and 991 are better built than the later models in terms of solidity of the cabin. Also, small things like heated screen washer boxers are now bot on the cars. A small but notable omission.

Blog Entries
    To be honest none of the rear engined stuff ever appealed to me. Always seemed a silly idea if you wanted something to go fast and handle. Was thinking about going Macan on the next change, the S seems good money from the reviews I've read.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    To be honest none of the rear engined stuff ever appealed to me. Always seemed a silly idea if you wanted something to go fast and handle. Was thinking about going Macan on the next change, the S seems good money from the reviews I've read.
    I was quicker around Mallory Park in a race-prepped 205 GTI 1.9 than I was in a 911. Far more of a sense of occasion in the 911 though.

The Macan is seriously fast but has all the charisma of a bath sponge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    I was quicker around Mallory Park in a race-prepped 205 GTI 1.9 than I was in a 911. Far more of a sense of occasion in the 911 though.

The Macan is seriously fast but has all the charisma of a bath sponge.
    That kind of agrees with what I've heard. No doubt entertaining for those who enjoy coping with the peculiarities. On paper the Macan S is about the same as the F-Pace P400e I have now, but obviously it would drive differently. I think it's slightly smaller which wouldn't be a bad thing to be fair, although the stop/start is a bit of a negative for me. The P400e uses electric to pull away instantly before starting the ICE if required. I wonder if you can disable the stop/start on them?

Engine at the rear seemed silly but everything jacked up by 6” seemed a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Engine at the rear seemed silly but everything jacked up by 6” seemed a good idea?
    Does one have to presuppose the other?
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Does one have to presuppose the other?
    Well he did say he wouldn't go for a 911 but was thinking about a Macan.

Well he did say he wouldn't go for a 911 but was thinking about a Macan.
    Fair point as is his about Pontiac Trans Ams

That said, I don't like 911s either... You either get them or you don't, I guess.

M

PS I wouldn't drive any SUV, though.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Yes. One is designed with speed and handling supposedly among the first requirements, and one isn't. See if you can work out which is which.

Just to be clear, I like the way the rear engined models look mostly, and appreciate them as really nice cars. They just didn't appeal to me with the engine at the back, like the weird love child of a VW beetle and a Renault Alpine. Mind you, someone who owned a '76 Trans Am 4 speed manual in the '80s probably isn't a benchmark of good taste.

Yes. One is designed with speed and handling supposedly among the first requirements, and one isn't. See if you can work out which is which.

Just to be clear, I like the way the rear engined models look mostly, and appreciate them as really nice cars. They just didn't appeal to me with the engine at the back, like the weird love child of a VW beetle and a Renault Alpine. Mind you, someone who owned a '76 Trans Am 4 speed manual in the '80s probably isn't a benchmark of good taste.
    You're obviously right that it's not the ideal place to put the engine but I sort of admire the pigheaded approach of the Porsche engineers. They've done a pretty good job with an arse about face idea too!

Most of us don't get anywhere near the handling limits of these cars anyway so it's all about personal preference really.

Blog Entries
    You're obviously right that it's not the ideal place to put the engine but I sort of admire the pigheaded approach of the Porsche engineers. They've done a pretty good job with an arse about face idea too!

Most of us don't get anywhere near the handling limits of these cars anyway so it's all about personal preference really.
    Agreed.

Master
    I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience with your 718. I've got one too and I've spent some time on the different 718 forums and the cars do seem quite solid, oldest are now eight years old and there are generally no big issues with them.

Buy a 308, it will be cheaper in the long run.