Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
My sister and her other half moved from Welwyn Garden City to Okehampton about five years ago doing pretty much what you’re describing Bambam.

Both in their 50’s, no kids in tow and took early retirement. Place in WGC sold for strong money and they bought a 4 bed detached for cash. They both love it.

30 minutes drive to Exeter or get the train, North Devon / Cornish beaches 40 - 50 minutes drive, South Devon beaches the same, Dartmoor on the doorstep. London by train in 3 hours with a change at Exeter.

They spent a lot of time researching and looking at places to move to before deciding on Okehampton. They turned down a lot of places on the M5 corridor between Exeter and Bristol as they didn’t like what they found, similarly off of the A30 east of Exeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, good to know that there is a path to follow. Anything they would have done differently do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
Where are your kids and potentially grandkids going to be?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
Not sure, probably come with us to be honest and then move as/when needed depending on work etc.

I get the point earlier about retiring and relocating and possibly ending up lonely, but my wife will carry on working and her family are in London/Herts so she'll continue to see them. I may or not carry on with the type of thing I do now (innovation in technology fields) but part of the attraction to places like Exeter is that there is a tech sector there so I could continue to work in the same type of thing, or just do something different as we won't be beholden to a mortgage.

I'd like to try my hand at a few things as I get older so this is one way of making that happen. If we stay where we are, then I have to carry on working and that is a less and less attractive proposition as time goes on!

Would just like to re-set. I don't think moving to Europe full-time etc. is really on the cards for us, but we do plan on travelling a lot if possible. Again, selling up makes this possible.