closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thinking of moving - but not sure where to!

Threaded View

relocated from south wales to fife scotland at 50.
    downsized from 4 bed new build town house to nice old 2 bed place with huge garden. mortgage ancient history.
    the ball and chain went from teaching full time to part time work and some charity stuff too.
    i went from an semiconductor engineering career to muggins work requiring no global travel, no stress and being able to switch off very night.
    should mention we are, and have always been, delighted to be a rugrat free zone.

that was just about 5 years ago -
    tried some semiconductor work up here - too much like stepping backing in time - the industry is totally farked in the uk now. i lasted 3 months and after the first review amazed the company by legging it.
    her is still doing her thing.

we downsized a bit too much - currently on the move up to a newish 3 bed detached with mid size garden - the current huge garden is getting too much and we were even only getting through half the veg we grew. new house MUCH cheaper to heat and needing no remedial work in the next decade which is more can be said for our current choccy box looking money pit. trades and materials prices and heating bills make this a no brainer.

we originally chose at place only a few miles from a rail station as we though we'd be hitting the lights on a semi regular basis - and we have not used it once, there are plenty of decent places to eat an easy drive and then i have a nice big glass of something warming when we get back. the new place is less than 15 mins walk from 2 decent pubs - that'll do nicely. as it happens we are moving about 5 miles this time.

think i am just pootling along until proper retirement whatever that is - which is bloody hilarious as i seem to be doing a better job than most of my mostly younger whiney work peers, but that is a story for another day.

glad we did it - would probably do it differently if we could go back but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

no idea what my actual point is but any questions just ask.
    Last edited by bigbaddes; 21st March 2024 at 21:15.