closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home office reno and desk set-up

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Next piece of the jigsaw arrived today, in the form of a shelf from Oakeywood. It’s absolutely perfect, and I’ll now be able to position the soon to be speakers just where I want them. Just have to decide on the colour!

Anyway, really happy with the shelf, although I wouldn’t want the monitor any higher at all than it is at the moment.

I’m hoping that, over the weekend, I’ll be able to reposition the television and also move my helmet racks over to the other side of the room. Depends on whether my son is available to help, as Bea won’t let me do it on my own, given that I’m not meant to be lifting or straining myself in any way at the moment.
    you are giving me some inspo tony ill post pics of my room later, but the keyb and mouse are on the list.

do you have a webcam?

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    you are giving me some inspo tony ill post pics of my room later, but the keyb and mouse are on the list.

do you have a webcam?
    Oh, that’s good to hear. Look forward to seeing your room as and when.

Yes, my webcam is a Logitech Brio. If I were buying now, though, I’d go for the Insta 360 with AI.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd March 2024 at 19:06.

Master

Yes, my webcam is a Logitech Brio. If I were buying now, though, I’d go for the Insta 360 with AI.
    That’s one hell of an upgrade!

I can’t be bothered upgrading my webcam so my peers can see me better, most are using the camera on their laptop & a screen, so they stare at their screen not at the camera; drives me insane given their income.

Our head of ahem, thought leadership, seems incapable of having his entire face on screen, usually like his chair has collapsed, and like he is in a dungeon - it’s darker than your photos lol. Bonkers given he is on a not beginning with 1 salary. He just doesn’t give a sh*t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    That’s one hell of an upgrade!

I can’t be bothered upgrading my webcam so my peers can see me better, most are using the camera on their laptop & a screen, so they stare at their screen not at the camera; drives me insane given their income.

Our head of ahem, thought leadership, seems incapable of having his entire face on screen, usually like his chair has collapsed, and like he is in a dungeon - it’s darker than your photos lol. Bonkers given he is on a not beginning with 1 salary. He just doesn’t give a sh*t.

That REALLY bugs me as well, Matt - top of the head in shot and they don’t even attempt to make an adjustment. Sadly, I’m unable to adopt your nonchalance as a consequence - whatever I do I’m compelled to do it the very best level that I can.

Master
    This is my place at the moment , it’s in a garden room so separate from the house , around 9m2

thinking of going ultra wide for the monitor, will deffo upgrade the keyboard and mouse to the Logitech ones Tony got and must get some speakers !

table is solid oak , weighs a tonne but very happy with it.

I sit side on to the window which works well!

This is my place at the moment , it’s in a garden room so separate from the house , around 9m2

thinking of going ultra wide for the monitor, will deffo upgrade the keyboard and mouse to the Logitech ones Tony got and must get some speakers !

All looks very pleasant and makes for an enjoyable workplace.

Do you work from files on your mac or cloud or from PC in house?

Wifi or LAN from the house?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    All looks very pleasant and makes for an enjoyable workplace.

Do you work from files on your mac or cloud or from PC in house?

Wifi or LAN from the house?
    Cheers

theres a laptop on a stand inthe background but most of my work stuff is on sharepoint anyway so mostly cloud based.

brought wired lan from the house,have a ubiuiti in wall AP for ethernet and wifi

That’s a lovely space and desk. Great to get some privacy as well.

I’d think about putting a shelf on the desk because it would potentially give you room for the speakers.

Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd March 2024 at 20:38.

Master

Panelled garden room, you posh sod lol.

Looks lovely.

I would need to align the middle of my monitors to the middle of the gaps between the panels, but that is why I waste way too much time in life!

Master
    That’s a lovely space and desk. Great to get some privacy as well.

I’d think about putting a shelf on the desk because it would potentially give you room for the speakers.
    good shout on the shelf, the desk is bigger than it looks in that pic, the two monitors are 24" each so its a wide set up!

- - - Updated - - -

Panelled garden room, you posh sod lol.

Looks lovely.

I would need to align the middle of my monitors to the middle of the gaps between the panels, but that is why I waste way too much time in life!

mrs cyrus is the brains behind the decorating to be fair!

I cant unsee that misalignment now, doh!

Craftsman

Love that desk, very smart.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyons View Post
    Love that desk, very smart.
    Thanks

It's from here

https://www.oakstudiodesigns.com/en/...le-kon?rq=Desk

What a beautiful room. Very tidy too.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    What a beautiful room. Very tidy too.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Cheers, I'm a neat freak so that kind of environment helps for work!

Master
    None of us at work bother with webcams now. Every so often the higher ups try and edict it and then it dies down and then hardly anyone bothers again :-)

Master
    That REALLY bugs me as well, Matt - top of the head in shot and they don’t even attempt to make an adjustment. Sadly, I’m unable to adopt your nonchalance as a consequence - whatever I do I’m compelled to do it the very best level that I can.
    If it wasn’t from my pocket, I’d agree. But not investing silly amounts more when there is such a lack of care elsewhere.

Master
    Was one comedic moment where someone forgot they were on cam & lit a cigarette. No issue in your own house, but not the best image on camera. Bloody amusing though!

Where was the desk top from, scanned back through but didn’t spot it? Toying with the upgrade, then remembered I needed new legs as well or the issue of power exists still.

Spent most of today on loooong calls in the Eames, it is so comfy I could easily drift off in it, which is a worry. Walls still bare, but plans in place. Need to record a call with myself as concerned with hard floor & no real soft furnishing I’m boomy, but probably over thinking things, as I tend to!

Was one comedic moment where someone forgot they were on cam & lit a cigarette. No issue in your own house, but not the best image on camera. Bloody amusing though!

Where was the desk top from, scanned back through but didn’t spot it? Toying with the upgrade, then remembered I needed new legs as well or the issue of power exists still.

Spent most of today on loooong calls in the Eames, it is so comfy I could easily drift off in it, which is a worry. Walls still bare, but plans in place. Need to record a call with myself as concerned with hard floor & no real soft furnishing I’m boomy, but probably over thinking things, as I tend to!

It's from here. Not expensive as I know at some point I'm going for a solid wood sit/stand.

On calls with my team, I openly vape (they're used to it). On other calls, particularly long ones, my camera is occasionally off whilst I indulge. I wouldn't let anyone outside my team see me doing it, though.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd March 2024 at 23:10.

Master
    It's from here. Not expensive as I know at some point I'm going for a solid wood sit/stand.

On calls with my team, I openly vape (they're used to it). On other calls, particularly long ones, my camera is occasionally off whilst I indulge. I wouldn't let anyone outside my team see mo doing it, though.
    Cheers for the link, Tony. Will have a good look over the weekend.

Am sure I’d vape internally if I still did. Quite glad I’d quit way before WFH as not leaving my desk to vape would have been way too tempting. I love seeing high end kit like yours and do miss the experimentation.

As I use a virtual background, I find a swiftly applied coaster over the cam allows for a sip of anything after hours as required and looks like a cam glitch. I hope so anyway!

Craftsman
    I’ve found this thread absolutely fascinating and I congratulate everyone on the creativity, even artistry, on display.

I’m now retired so have no need, or justification, for anything expensive. But you can achieve quite a lot with some modest spending in Ikea and on Amazon. I’ve been motivated today to clean and tidy up my modest study/den/bolt hole. It’s a lot more organised having spent a couple of hours sorting out the cabling and fixing a power strip to the wall just under the desk.

My next task is to clear out the drawers that are a graveyard of old mobile phones, tablets and iPods; and must contain just about every type of cable and power supply ever developed.

Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    I’ve found this thread absolutely fascinating and I congratulate everyone on the creativity, even artistry, on display.

I’m now retired so have no need, or justification, for anything expensive. But you can achieve quite a lot with some modest spending in Ikea and on Amazon. I’ve been motivated today to clean and tidy up my modest study/den/bolt hole. It’s a lot more organised having spent a couple of hours sorting out the cabling and fixing a power strip to the wall just under the desk.

My next task is to clear out the drawers that are a graveyard of old mobile phones, tablets and iPods; and must contain just about every type of cable and power supply ever developed.
    Great that you’ve been inspired to make some improvements. Retired or not though, I reckon you could still simplify that desktop if you wanted to.

Master

ok great is it in that set up I can’t see where the webcam is (was wondering how it worked with the benq light )

I think one of the most pleasing aspects of a home office/pleasant workplace, is................ a CLEAN desk.

Sadly - I never seem to manage that.

Have the minimum amount of equip you need , and all the cabling tidied as much as is possible.

and have a neoprene mat for your coffee.

ok great is it in that set up I can’t see where the webcam is (was wondering how it worked with the benq light )
    Yes, it’s sitting on top of the BenQ light (the TV is making it hard to see). They sell a webcam accessory for that purpose.

Master
    Yes, it’s sitting on top of the BenQ light (the TV is making it hard to see). They sell a webcam accessory for that purpose.
    Very neat