closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thinking of moving - but not sure where to!

Hybrid View

Very interesting to read what people look for in their downsizing/retiral living.

It would be helpful to know what sort of budget/number of bedrooms BamBam is considering.

When I was looking for a new home - I spent a lot of time with Rightmove searches, with a lot of streetview recon, before jumping on bike/into car to go and look at the house/area/facilities- before viewing. 18 months and only 6 viewings. No point in viewing for the sake of it, I don't think.

There is quite a lot of work involved - that's for sure.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Very interesting to read what people look for in their downsizing/retiral living.

It would be helpful to know what sort of budget/number of bedrooms BamBam is considering.

When I was looking for a new home - I spent a lot of time with Rightmove searches, with a lot of streetview recon, before jumping on bike/into car to go and look at the house/area/facilities- before viewing. 18 months and only 6 viewings. No point in viewing for the sake of it, I don't think.

There is quite a lot of work involved - that's for sure.
    Up to £800k and min of 3 bedrooms and detached. Would ideally like to spend less so we can spend more on any work needed etc.

All ears as to how you did your recon before getting in the car and going to see in person.
    I have managed to get down to a couple of areas in the past but not actually looked at any potential places from a viewing perspective - more just to get a feel for a place. But when you don’t know an area you tend to wander around the centre (or at least I did) without a sense of context.
    When we went to Bournemouth we did drive to some roads that we had seen houses for sale via Rightmove which was helpful.
    Suggestions re method and/or areas welcome!

£800k seems like a healthy top line (but realistically maybe £700k max?)

I only looked within around 70 miles radius of Edinburgh (with a few fanciful looks beyond that), but still didn't waste the journey without doing extensive research to see if the area was viable.

One house I thought ticked the boxes for house/location/infrastructure/transport links - I did extensive search IRT flooding. I think for a lot of places in England with higher density building you should have a checklist with FLOODING, together with CLAY substrata - in your decision-making/assessments.

I have said to several people that I was not the typical purchaser, but I think perhaps a bit like a retiree.

(typical families look at Work commute, School catchment, bdrms to suit family size, garden if important - then it is prob pretty much down to budget/trivialities)

For me:
    Not interested in school catchments
    Want a house that I "want" to live in, with the footprint for decent size rooms.
    Not so interested in a large garden space for kids - just useable.
    Want to be near a viable town that has the right 'vibe' and amenities.
    Double garage.

I think you are fortunate with that budget - to prioritise the area/town, and then look at what is available to then ask "what is the house we want to live in, there?"

Some really nice towns in Dorset/Wilts/Hants that are far enough remote from the Motorway to allow many journeys without hitting a slip-road.

Good luck in the search, and most of all - don't panic buy.

(apols if a bit random - it's Saturday wine night)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    £800k seems like a healthy top line (but realistically maybe £700k max?)

I only looked within around 70 miles radius of Edinburgh (with a few fanciful looks beyond that), but still didn't waste the journey without doing extensive research to see if the area was viable.

One house I thought ticked the boxes for house/location/infrastructure/transport links - I did extensive search IRT flooding. I think for a lot of places in England with higher density building you should have a checklist with FLOODING, together with CLAY substrata - in your decision-making/assessments.

I have said to several people that I was not the typical purchaser, but I think perhaps a bit like a retiree.

(typical families look at Work commute, School catchment, bdrms to suit family size, garden if important - then it is prob pretty much down to budget/trivialities)

For me:
    Not interested in school catchments
    Want a house that I "want" to live in, with the footprint for decent size rooms.
    Not so interested in a large garden space for kids - just useable.
    Want to be near a viable town that has the right 'vibe' and amenities.
    Double garage.

I think you are fortunate with that budget - to prioritise the area/town, and then look at what is available to then ask "what is the house we want to live in, there?"

Some really nice towns in Dorset/Wilts/Hants that are far enough remote from the Motorway to allow many journeys without hitting a slip-road.

Good luck in the search, and most of all - don't panic buy.

(apols if a bit random - it's Saturday wine night)
    Thanks. Your criteria sounds very similar to mine. Not really interested in school catchments as just not relevant to us any more. The only thing I would add is a level of ethnic diversity in or near to whatever the location is. Seems like a Uni city could help tick that box. Also being close to a large town or a city to be able to access “vibes” etc. Probably not that important to me, but I know it would be for Mrs Bambam and for when her friends visit.

Thanks for the advice re not panic buying!

I’m hoping to make a road trip this week, if I get my car back from repair so I don’t have to travel on Good Friday.

For anyone that’s been to visit a possible location for a day - any ideas or tips as to things to spend time on? I know the details will vary depending on the specific location, but any general tips would be welcome.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post

any general tips would be welcome.
    Call into A&E for a look …

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Call into A&E for a look …
    Tbh if retiring checking the availability of doctors and hospitals near by should probably be up on your priority list

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Tbh if retiring checking the availability of doctors and hospitals near by should probably be up on your priority list
    This is a very good point that I had never really considered until last November when I had a serious medical emergency. We have a big hospital about two miles away and my wife was able to safely get me there in several minutes.
    We will be moving, more than likely to a seaside village or town when our elderly parents pass, and this has greatly reduced the list of possible places we are considering. The difference to being near a hospital and a half hour plus drive away down tourist infested lanes can so easily be life and death and often is.
    And it's not just emergencies, required repeat treatments can become a major logistical and expensive problem in old age if there is a forty five minute drive to the nearest main hospital.