closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BTL question

Hybrid View

BTL question

Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    I'd sell all of mine now if it wasn't for the tax liability.
    Presume there will always be a tax liability whenever you sell, you are never going to escape that, and this is just a necessary evil associated with making a good return on your investment?

Or if not, when do you plan to sell and realise your capital gain without a tax liability?

I thought the Government had given an incentive by reducing CGT on residential property from 28 to 24%. Seems a bargain to me when compared to higher rates of income tax.

When it comes to tax on wealth, you do realise that you may have an even less tax friendly government in 9 months time?
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 25th March 2024 at 10:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Presume there will always be a tax liability whenever you sell, you are never going to escape that, and this is just a necessary evil associated with making a good return on your investment?

Or if not, when do you plan to sell and realise your capital gain without a tax liability?

I thought the Government had given an incentive by reducing CGT on residential property from 28 to 24%. Seems a bargain to me when compared to higher rates of income tax.

When it comes to tax on wealth, you do realise that you may have an even less tax friendly government in 9 months time?
    I've already sold a couple and plan to sell more; the tax is a very bitter pill to swallow and I realise that it will always be there in some form or another.

I'm getting my whole retirement strategy sorted out along with some personal stuff. It's also what I do for a living; so a bit of a busman's holiday for me

Craftsman
    My wife and I own two BTL properties.

One we mortgaged personally on a repayment BTL mortgage. It will be paid off by the time we retire.
    The 2nd is a bigger property, which we made a property company and purchased it through. This is on an interest only mortgage. The objective being to maximise the rent to profit ratio.

The point I wanted to make to the OP is that we have had the same tenants all the way through. People generally don't hop about if its a nice place in a nice area. Not everyone wants to be on the property market.
    We have a great relationship with both tenants, they occasionally need something and thats fine.

Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    My wife and I own two BTL properties.

One we mortgaged personally on a repayment BTL mortgage. It will be paid off by the time we retire.
    The 2nd is a bigger property, which we made a property company and purchased it through. This is on an interest only mortgage. The objective being to maximise the rent to profit ratio.

The point I wanted to make to the OP is that we have had the same tenants all the way through. People generally don't hop about if its a nice place in a nice area. Not everyone wants to be on the property market.
    We have a great relationship with both tenants, they occasionally need something and thats fine.
    Good to hear. We proceed likewise, when something is needed and it's on us, it gets done, it's how to play the game.

Thinking back on the investment ''buzz'' question, having slept on it. I'll add an unreserved definitely from our London BTL's, for all the Govt's policy shenanigans rule changes, their attempts to foist their border/ migration responsibilities onto to us ie the ludicrous notion we should be checking our tenants immigration status/ grassing folks up, the occasional disaster like the roof blowing off that year the South had some extreme winds, the tenant coming up short on the rent due to them being ripped off by their employer...hard working Poles being abused by a British building firm...Despite these, BTL has played a significant part in enabling our ambitions to escape the rat race early and live here. Job's a good'un...If you set objectives, 'goals for your life and the investments enable and deliver them that's always exciting, a cause for satisfaction, celebration.

I think if you're not getting that feeling you're plausibly doing something wrong, maybe pursuing the wrong things... Though everyone is different obviously, investment and lifestyle choices are down to each individual, tis all subjective, there's no right / wrong answers or blanket, one size fit's all solutions, everyone's dealt a different hand to start with and the field is not the same everywhere/ equal for all.

Thinking about more recent/ current developments and opportunities, I'd expect to be hearing from some of our Bitcoin winners/ millionaires, after all that seems to me to be the latest buzz, diamond hands, Lambos', yachts etc??? All sounds far more exciting than the grind of dull old bricks n´mortar...
    Last edited by Passenger; 26th March 2024 at 10:44.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post

Thinking about more recent/ current developments and opportunities, I'd expect to be hearing from some of our Bitcoin winners/ millionaires, after all that seems to me to be the latest buzz, diamond hands, Lambos', yachts etc??? All sounds far more exciting than the grind of dull old bricks n´mortar...
    When I finally cash in my Bitcoin, it'll go into BTL / commercial property

Assuming it doesn't go to zero of course

Make of that what you will :-)

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    When I finally cash in my Bitcoin, it'll go into BTL / commercial property

Assuming it doesn't go to zero of course

Make of that what you will :-)
    And the very best of luck to you Appreciate your candour.
    Last edited by Passenger; 26th March 2024 at 11:44.